Variable wattage mods -- does coil resistance effect anything besides battery life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BladeZ

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Dortmund, Germany
Yes.. Currently I'm using AW IMR battery both 18650 and 18350..

I was just confused cos when the people are talking about VW, they seems like forgetting the voltage.. They will say as long as the ampere is below the battery's max output ampere then its fine.. However we know that voltage increases too.. But they just let the voltage up or down as long as the wattage is fix.. So really nothing to worry about when the voltage up to 6volt right..?

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
[Posting here because I'm too new to have enough posts to post in the VV/VW forum]

I'm still pretty new but getting a fascination with VV/VW mods, like maybe a Innokin SVD from fasttech.

When using a VW mod, what does coil resistance effect besides battery life? From what I've read, part of the idea behind a VW mod is to be able to use a fixed amount of power via the mod detecting coil resistance and adjusting voltage output to produce the desired wattage.

Presumably this means that for a given wattage the coil resistance wouldn't matter to anything except battery life, with a lower resistance coil causing lower battery drain. But something else tells me it's not that simple and that there may be other differences. I'm just speculating but maybe coil life might be better with lower or higher (my guess would be higher) resistance or some other factors.

Can anyone enlighten me further on coil resistance selection when using a fixed-power (variable wattage) mod?

A lower resistance coil doesnt decrease battery drain.

It increases it. Resistance is the force that pushes against an object thats in motion.Batteries provide a current or charge as electrons move from pole to pole.

Best way to explain battery drain rates is to imagine the battery as water being stored somewhere (like a well, a reservoir or city water supply) with pipes coming into your house.

Go outside and open the faucet all the way...thats lower resistance and the water actually comes out faster (ie drain rate) . If you had a well you could empty it entirely like this in a few hours.

Now turn the faucet in half way...thats higher resistance to the flow of water...and less comes out. Again if you had a well it would take just a little longer to drain it completely than it would if you had the faucet wide open.

Same thing applies to batteries.

I get at least another hour, sometimes as much two out of my Provari and an 18650 battery with a 3ohm cartomizer versus a 1.7 ohm carto using the exact same battery and setup.

I adjust my watts the old fashioned way by increasing the voltage. A 1.7ohm carto for me would be set at 3.7 volts (which is basically what they were designed for to start with) and a 3ohm carto would be set at 5 volts.

Both are roughly equivalent to 8 watts.

If you dont believe me try both side by side.There isnt much of a difference but it is noticeable especially if you vape a lot like I do.

Its almost 3am here but tomorrow I'll post a link to an article I posted here a few months ago that supports my arguments and will hopefully make things a bit clearer for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: cckayne

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
A lower resistance coil doesnt decrease battery drain.

It increases it.

Right, lower resistance uses more amps but less voltage to produce the desired wattage.

Higher resistance uses more volts but less amps to produce the desired wattage.

Say I want 10 watts:

1.5 ohm coil @ 3.87 volts = 10 watts (2.58 amps)

3.0 ohm coil @ 5.48 volts = 10 watts (1.83 amps)

Batteries are rated by mAh (milliamp/hr), meaning how many amps the battery can provide continuously per hour.

The circuitry in a APV boosts (or bucks) the voltage so it becomes much less relevant in comparison to amperage.

Last edited:
Yes.. Currently I'm using AW IMR battery both 18650 and 18350..

I was just confused cos when the people are talking about VW, they seems like forgetting the voltage.. They will say as long as the ampere is below the battery's max output ampere then its fine.. However we know that voltage increases too.. But they just let the voltage up or down as long as the wattage is fix.. So really nothing to worry about when the voltage up to 6volt right..?
That's because you either use volts or watts.... To find out your wattage you have a math equation which is as follows. : volts x volts / ohms (resistance) = watts. So when you talk about watts you're talking about how much power the coil gets instead of how much electricity is leaving the battery

BladeZ

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Dortmund, Germany

Daddy dan123

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Ohio
If I have my svd at 15 watts and have a vape and than the same atty on it but turn it to say 6volts is it really running hotter and harder. Cuz I tried it just now (bored til my millionth mech comes in the morning lol) and theoretically it is way hotter according to mr ohms law but it sure doesn't seem taste or feel like it on my magma at 1.3.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
If I have my svd at 15 watts and have a vape and than the same atty on it but turn it to say 6volts is it really running hotter and harder. Cuz I tried it just now (bored til my millionth mech comes in the morning lol) and theoretically it is way hotter according to mr ohms law but it sure doesn't seem taste or feel like it on my magma at 1.3.

The SVD has a cap at 15w, meaning that it won't go above that even if you set the volts higher. I've tested it on my SVD.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

WampusTheCat

May 25, 2014
California
So is it actually okay to run 3ohms coil on 15w power..?
It produces 6volts or it pump out 6volts from the battery to the coil..?

Normal battery pump out 4.2v(at fully charged) without a kick, but if i use a VW kick set at 15W run on 3ohms coil, I can get 6v.. Is it save to use 6v from a single battery..? I feel like I'm pulling too much voltage from the battery..

I used to think the same thing. Its actually the kick itself (or what ever variable wattage/voltage device you are using) that produces the extra voltage. Its sort of how AC and DC power can be converted to one another where you'll have 5 Volts AC that gets converted to 120 Volts DC, or vice-versa. In short, your battery puts out whatever charge it is currently at and the device changes the volts to match the respected wattage you want.

Thats also why on much higher resistance coils, say 2+ Ohms, the power might drop from 15 W to 12 or 13, because the device simply cannot produce that much extra power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread