Variable Wattage Provari ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
Guess I'm still a bit slow. None of this makes sense to me.

I am not worried about an atty or carto blowing, as far as I know that is not going to explode.

I'm concerned about the batteries. Which one, voltage or watts, is safer battery technology? If the batt heats up, if the batt overloads, whatever happens to batteries. That is what I thought both were designed for, but I am now thinking I am mistake, as usual.

Any clarification would be wonderful. :)

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
but for 200$+ I'll take Stainless Steel anyday over Aluminum!!

I'm not debating devices here, whatever lets us stop smoking is the best! These threads live on long after active discussion is over. I was just trying to comment on the construction for future readers.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
just think "deadliest catch" ..how long would a piece of aluminum last in those environment ?? it is NOT marine grade aluminum
provari is stainless,,any grade will handle saltwater,,

i like to use volts to set my temp,,in its current state a darwin can't do that:laugh::laugh::laugh:

i have that arm busted off with a day !!!
cartos are way cheaper then a darwin arm

face it,,darwin won't stand up to the abuse a provari will !!!!

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
And for the "tube mod" vapers, the maker of the Darwin is coming out with an add in device to convert many 18650 tube mods into variable wattage PV's....won't work in the vari....can't wait till they come out.....

starting price gonna make the gg's look like garbage i'd bet,,,with all this darwin hype and the manu's seeing it,,

i'll pass,,,

jpracing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Philippines
Easy...Easy buddy!!!:laugh:
You might miss your flight back on account of you having to go to the hospital :laugh:

I agree though. My darwins arm is a bit loose on each position.

just think "deadliest catch" ..how long would a piece of aluminum last in those environment ?? it is NOT marine grade aluminum
provari is stainless,,any grade will handle saltwater,,

i like to use volts to set my temp,,in its current state a darwin can't do that:laugh::laugh::laugh:

i have that arm busted off with a day !!!
cartos are way cheaper then a darwin arm

face it,,darwin won't stand up to the abuse a provari will !!!!

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
Easy...Easy buddy!!!:laugh:
You might miss your flight back on account of you having to go to the hospital :laugh:

I agree though. My darwins arm is a bit loose on each position.

rofl

this is Alaska,,man up or go home,,,there is no middle ground,,,even the women can [and have] knock you down !!!!

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
nope....but the add-in beta version is being used in a gg....
starting price gonna make the gg's look like garbage i'd bet,,,with all this darwin hype and the manu's seeing it,,

i'll pass,,,

Sorry, am not hi-jacking the ProVari thread, but the discussion turned to Variable Wattage......ProVari's are top notch Variable Voltage mods....

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Simply put...for relatively the same price, and for the amount of $$$ I'm throwing out for a mod, I'd prefer to have a sturdy, heavyduty, stainless steel mod in my hand...Darwin looks like if it takes a few nice falls OH NOO!

I do very much respect your preferance for the Vari. It's a great device and many people who have owned both still prefer a tube mod.

I just have to jab back...sorry ;)

I don't know of a mod with this much power and flexibility that comes with built in charger, batteries guaranteed to last one year and rated for 2, holster, and 2 year transferable device warranty for $240. To get the 18650 Vari with the same accessories, warranties and 900 to 1000 charge cycles worth of unwarranted batteries is about $70 more.

The Darwin may not stand up to the kind of torture a stainless tube would, but it's not going to fall apart on you. You'd have to be 'trying very hard' to break one, or be extremely unlucky.

Yanno, I have a bottom of the line Nokia flip cell phone made of plastic, rubber, and glass that I've been carrying around and using every day for about 6 years now. It's got moving parts all over it......has been dropped thousands of times. So how heavy does something really need to be to last $240 worth as an ecig?

I think for the application of holding a battery, lcd, and a carto/liquid ... aluminum is plenty strong.

Last edited:

Dying2Live

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
New Jersey
I do very much respect your preferance for the Vari. It's a great device and many people who have owned both still prefer a tube mod.

I just have to jab back...sorry ;)

I don't know of a mod with this much power and flexibility that comes with built in charger, batteries guaranteed to last one year and rated for 2, holster, and 2 year transferable device warranty for $240. To get the 18650 Vari with the same accessories, warranties and 900 to 1000 charge cycles worth of unwarranted batteries is about $70 more.

The Darwin may not stand up to the kind of torture a stainless tube would, but it's not going to fall apart on you. You'd have to be 'trying very hard' to break one, or be extremely unlucky.

Yanno, I have a bottom of the line Nokia flip cell phone made of plastic, rubber, and glass that I've been carrying around and using every day for about 6 years now. It's got moving parts all over it......has been dropped thousands of times. So how heavy does something really need to be to last $240 worth as an ecig?

I think for the application of holding a battery, lcd, and a carto/liquid ... aluminum is plenty strong.

yes as everyone said its not even worth arguing/debating cuz when it comes down to it, it's personal preference...I would like a Darwin soon it's next on my list but the only thing that's been keeping me from checking it out is THE BUILT IN BATTERY..sure the battery says it's guaranteed for the year but that doesn't mean in a few weeks if anything were to happen with the battery I must send in my mod simply for a battery swap and I just don't like that...if a battery goes bad on a Vari all I have to do is pop a new one in...let's say I'm out and about alll day long, come home real late, forget to put my Darwin on the charger..the next morning I must wait for the thing to charge...I have about 5 batteries for my Vari that all rotate charging..I can forget to charge my batts for almost a week and still be vaping constantly..like I said I'm
not putting down you or the Darwin it's just my personal preference...

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
yes as everyone said its not even worth arguing/debating cuz when it comes down to it, it's personal preference...I would like a Darwin soon it's next on my list but the only thing that's been keeping me from checking it out is THE BUILT IN BATTERY

There's nothing wrong with that logic except one thing. You wouldn't have to wait long to start vaping your charging Darwin. Five minutes or so, and you could start vaping it as a pass through.

Some people don't live so close to OH, don't mind the extra steps to safely care for/maintain the AW IMR batteries, and want parts they can get locally if something goes wrong. Makes perfect sense.

Some folks want something they can just grab and go and not have to worry about all that battery stuff every day.

After owning a Darwin for about a year now...I have to admit I'd order another one ASAP if this one got lost or stolen. In another year the warranty will be up...and at that point I can change the batteries myself if I choose. If I do have to send it in for some reason before the warranty is up...Oh well...at least I can :)

I'm mainly glad that I decided to hunt a product that was dreamt up and put together by people here in the USA. Vari and Darwin both apply there. I'm not against companies abroad mind you, and the guts of any eCig most likely comes from Asia or Africa....it's just that these days it'd be nice to keep a few dollars floating around in our own economy where possible. So if you have the money, get both :)

Last edited:

Dying2Live

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
New Jersey
There's nothing wrong with that logic except one thing. You wouldn't have to wait long to start vaping your charging Darwin. Five minutes or so, and you could start vaping it as a pass through.

Some people don't live so close to OH, don't mind the extra steps to safely care for/maintain the AW IMR batteries, and want parts they can get locally if something goes wrong. Makes perfect sense.

Some folks want something they can just grab and go and not have to worry about all that battery stuff every day.

After owning a Darwin for about a year now...I have to admit I'd order another one ASAP if this one got lost or stolen. In another year the warranty will be up...and at that point I can change the batteries myself if I choose. If I do have to send it in for some reason before the warranty is up...Oh well...at least I can :)

I'm mainly glad that I decided to hunt a product that was dreamt up and put together by people here in the USA. Vari and Darwin both apply there. I'm not against companies abroad mind you, and the guts of any eCig most likely comes from Asia or Africa....it's just that these days it'd be nice to keep a few dollars floating around in our own economy where possible. So if you have the money, get both :)

i do agree Credo! but the battery still gets to me, i understand you can vape it as a passthrough, but lets say you forgot to charge the previous night, and wake up in a rush to work...sure you can throw your Darwin on the charger for 20 minutes while you get ready..but how long is 20 minutes of charge going to really last? now i understand you could bring your charger to work/get a car charger to charge on way to work, but i rather not deal with the hassle of also having to carry the charger with me everywhere i go / just seems easier to me to bring a tiny little bag of 2-3 batteries, throw it in your glovebox, and you know your good for DAYS without even having to look at a charger...perfect example: last month i went on a 4 day camping trip with my buddies, absolutely no electricity just us guys in the woods, drinkin some beers, sitting around a fire, and for 4 days of no electricity i was HAPPILY vaping my ProVari all vaction long, see if i had a Darwin, i would have been stuck bringing a bunch of my charged up eGos with me and we all know what its like to go from a PV like the Darwin or the ProVari back to eGos...again its personal preference for me, like you said some people may want something they can grab and go when others like different options...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread