Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
starting to think that maybe this Thread should be renamed to "ProVari-Darwin Debates" hahaha :D....

but regardless if we are a ProVari fan, or a Darwin fan, we must admit they are both flat out AMAZING!:toast:

Was bound to happen once the Darwin was mentioned.....it's all good though....

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
i do agree Credo! but the battery still gets to me.

No no one thinks your logic is faulty. That's what works best for you and your lifestyle...go for it. Also, for people who have several mods that all take an 18mm battery...it can save a bunch of money to stick with that battery platform.

My point all along was that to 'me' the Darwin setup is better, and that the VV vs VP configuration was a lower priority.

If I took my Darwin camping charging it would be no problem. I've got a 5,000mah USB pack for cellphones and stuff ( currently use it with more than 5 devices ) , and the vehicle would most likely be nearby too. For most camping situations I've usually got at least one deep cycle marine battery and an inverter nearby for running lights and stuff (ages ago I used white gas, charcoal, or wood fires for everything, but these days a big battery is better for me for many things).

Now if I were going on a long back packing trip and really roughing it...I would not want either mod to be honest. To heavy! I think I'd most likely build myself a bottom fed solar powered mod (maybe hack my Boge Revolution with a solar charger...it's the lightest all in one e-cig I have and it has excellent batteries in it for their size/weight), or just switch back to tobacco as an occasional treat on the trail ;)

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Well, back to the OP's question......I doubt that ProVari will have variable power (wattage) technology....Note: (found this in a review of the Darwin, in part) ...Internally where all the magic lies, the Darwin also doesn't disappoint with once again USA patent pending technology which quite frankly is mindblowing, but most importantly just works when required

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
With all due respect, guys, why are we belaboring on this subject of power or wattage adjustments so much? I really don't care what power I vape on, to be honest with you guys. If it is vaping good and gives me good TH I leave it at that particular voltage setting on my ProVari. Also, if I want to fine tune it I mess around the voltage setting here and there. Vapers who do not own a ProVari or Darwin can talk so much about them mostly in the abstract. It is completely different if you own one: It is just another piece of toy or crap that you do not want to talk about so much anymore. If you guys are just snowed about watts, amperes, electromotive force, potenials voltage, etc, maybe get some crash coures in basic electronics. After the training maybe we'll laugh about this crap and converse more intelligently?

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
With all due respect, guys, why are we belaboring on this subject of power or wattage adjustments so much? I really don't care what power I vape on, to be honest with you guys. If it is vaping good and gives me good TH I leave it at that particular voltage setting on my ProVari. Also, if I want to fine tune it I mess around the voltage setting here and there. Vapers who do not own a ProVari or Darwin can talk so much about them mostly in the abstract. It is completely different if you own one: It is just another piece of toy or crap that you do not want to talk about so much anymore. If you guys are just snowed about watts, amperes, electromotive force, potenials voltage, etc, maybe get some crash coures in basic electronics. After the training maybe we'll laugh about this crap and converse more intelligently?

I agree with you to a point, but what's wrong with discussing these things? Isn't that the point of a forum such as this? If we didn't discuss all the vagaries of vaping, this place would be a ghost town.

I for one like reading and posting about various vaping products. If you don't like talking about them, that's certainly your right, but reading a vaping forum is probably not in your best interest if that's the case.

And I really don't think there's much evidence of a lack of intelligence in the posts in this thread. Opinions, yes, but that doesn't make the people who hold them unintelligent.

jpracing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Philippines
I have both and I can tell you that if I try to vape higher than 4.1 volts on a 1.5ohm
atty, the Provari shuts down.
On the other hand, the Darwin just keeps going til your atty dies.
11 watts of power is all the Provari will give on an LR atty.
That doesn't work for me because some of the ejuice I have
tastes better at 12 watts.
As far as variable wattage Provaris coming out, I can only hope. :)

AZCraig

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Mesa, AZ
www.KidneyPuncher.com
Do you mean a digital readout like the Darwin? That would be a nice added feature. I can calculate the wattage on my ProVari by reading the ato resistance and the voltage mentally. I=E/R and P=IxE. P=Watt, E=volt and I=amp or current. I am happy to just be able to tune in my ProVari for the best taste and TH. I do not concern myself too much about what watt am I at. I believe they make a small digital volt/amp gauge combination like the the digital voltmeter and use yhe P=ie formula. Some one will probably come up with one on ECF sooner or later. I am going to search for it myself.

Unfortunately, the resistance of the atomizer coil changes over time. I.e. A Boge 2.0 carto may start its life @ 2.0 ohms, but as it ages it may go down to 1.8 ohms. So if you are running it on a Provari set to 4 volts, it starts with taking 2 amps (4 watts), but when it ages to 1.8 ohms, it takes 2.2 amps (4.4 watts)

A wattage regulated system set to 4 watts would decrease the voltage passed to the atomizer when its resistance changed downwards.

You can simulate all of this if you take resistance measurements of your atomizer every so often, perform the calculation and change the voltage accordingly. But really for $150 to $200 investment I'd rather not have to think about this. Plus, know the wattage you like to vape and being able to set your mod to THAT means you can swap out different resistance atomizers/cartos without having to go through the "measure/calc/set voltage" cycle each time you swap.

Dying2Live

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
New Jersey
But really for $150 to $200 investment I'd rather not have to think about this.

i get that..i guess...really though how old are we? anyone with a basic knowledge of math could figure it out in seconds, and after owning it and using it every single day im sure anyone could immediatly figure it out in a split second....Now i do understand the concept of switching different resistance attys/cartos without having to cycle through, BUT you say "know the wattage you like to vape" for me that changes with different juices, and im sure for many many other vapors as well... So regardless whenever im switching attys/cartos on my DARWIN with different juice, i still have to mess with the menu system.....

AZCraig

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Mesa, AZ
www.KidneyPuncher.com
I just realized all my wattage calcs in this post are wrong. 4volts into a 2ohm resistance is 8 watts, not 4 watts.

Mea culpa.

Unfortunately, the resistance of the atomizer coil changes over time. I.e. A Boge 2.0 carto may start its life @ 2.0 ohms, but as it ages it may go down to 1.8 ohms. So if you are running it on a Provari set to 4 volts, it starts with taking 2 amps (4 watts), but when it ages to 1.8 ohms, it takes 2.2 amps (4.4 watts)

A wattage regulated system set to 4 watts would decrease the voltage passed to the atomizer when its resistance changed downwards.

You can simulate all of this if you take resistance measurements of your atomizer every so often, perform the calculation and change the voltage accordingly. But really for $150 to $200 investment I'd rather not have to think about this. Plus, know the wattage you like to vape and being able to set your mod to THAT means you can swap out different resistance atomizers/cartos without having to go through the "measure/calc/set voltage" cycle each time you swap.

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
Wow, that is good. Of course, if you have VV e-cig you'll always start from 3.7 volts to be very close and then gradually increase or decrease (in the case of 1.5 ohm dual coils) the voltage 'till you hit the sweet spot. Sweet spot changes during the course of the day. At least, it is for me. One good advatage ProVari and Darwin have is they can measure the atomizer resistance mounted on the unit. The resistance will change as the heating coil oxidizes through usage and from the carbons and crads build ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread