Vegetable Glycerin Material Safety Data Sheet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WRCREX

Unregistered Supplier
Jan 18, 2012
Philly
Can someone please explain how we are (mostly) all just fine vaping VG, yet this MSDS portrays VG to be dangerous to inhale? (Scroll down to inhalation section, and first aid for inhalation). Thanks.

//www.essentialdepot.com/msds/msds%20glycerin%20kosher%20food%20grade.pdf"]http://www.essentialdepot.com/msds/msds%20glycerin%20kosher%20food%20grade.pdf

[/URL]

broke live download !! You can add this to the beginning:
[URL="http:

Last edited by a moderator:

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
I saw nothing about "dangerous"...what it said under the inhalation section is, it can be a "mild irritant" if misted and inhaled and most of us are aware of the "mild irritant" side of VG...if this is a concern, don't use VG based juices and just use PG based juices...let us know if that works for you........
madjack:2cool:

Myriad Dark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Las Vegas
Sounds like a generic "CYA" clause they put on there to help shield themselves in case someone manages to find a way to hurt themselves with it. Some MSDSes go way farther then they ever have to. I once saw a MSDS for a low concentration saltwater solution (about the concentration of sea water) that indicated it was harmful if swallowed and the first aid section indicated a person should induce vomiting if swallowed. I know it's not wise to drink salt water as it could dehydrate you, but it seemed a little extreme. I could understand if it was a harmful salt compound, but it was just water and good old fashioned salt (NaCl) in a low concentration solution.

Procrustinator

Dec 3, 2011
USA
Not classified as a carcinogen
Doesn't cause reproductive or mutagenic effects
No skin or respiratory sensitivities known

All good.

Can produce toxic fumes when burned at temps above 300 degrees- don't do that.
And if you do, getting fresh air is all you need.

Has anyone determined what temp an atty heats up to ?

P.S. I guess this means I shouldn't heat my wood stove up to glowing red, and then poor my juice on it to get my vape on if my battery dies.

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
Last edited:

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Well this is on ingestion and not inhalation but, you might find this interesting.

"Glycerol has very low toxicity when ingested; its LD50 oral dose for rats is 12600 mg/kg and 8700 mg/kg for mice." So it takes 12600mg per kg to kill a rat on average. I think the average weight for a human is somewhere around 65kg so it would take.. 819,000mg to kill on average if ingested at 100% purity if we were rats.

IIRC the typical "cartridge" contains about 1000mg or 1ml of liquid which is divided up between the different ingredients. You first need to figure out the actually concentration of VG in the juice, flavorings, nicotine, etc. Its definitely less than 1000mg of VG. So if you vaped 819 carts a day you could in the most extremely flawed and inaccurate theory be killed, but then again you aren't a Rat and you process glycerol better than one.

That was just taken from the Wiki and a bit of math... here is what I'm reading currently...

Glycerite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Sorry for a double post but I cannot continue my post as it keeps wanting to make it a link..

Example of the uses of Vegetable Glycerin...

WholesaleSupplementStore.com - Echinacea Glycerite
Stevia Liquid Extract Glycerite Alcohol Free

And last from that very site you linked...

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/the-Fragrance-Oils/Categories

So keep in mind they put "Do not let your child play with this" warning labels on plastic bags and take MSDS as a worst case scenario guide intended to give rescuers information just in case there really is a big enough idiot on the planet to find a way to pull off the unthinkable. Mainly you want to read the part that Charlz mentioned for actual risks and keep in mind that companies are out to cover their own ...

pumasforpets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
NWI
Here's an MSDS for a brand of incense.

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/es1004051.html

"Most important hazard(s) : Xn - Harmful.
R 10 - Flammable.
R 20/21/22 - Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed.
R 36/37/38 - Irritating to eyes, respiratory system, and skin.
R 42/43 - May cause sensitization by inhalation and skin contact.
S 02 - Keep out of the reach of children.
S 24/25 - Avoid contact with skin and eyes.
S 26 - In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice.
S 36/37/39 - Wear suitable clothing, gloves and eye/face protection"

I worked in the environmental cleanup field and have read a crapload of MSDS and actually wrote a few for our particular product. Bottom line, MSDS is a big CYA extravaganza. If there is ANY chance that ANYTHING could be caused by your product you MUST put it in the MSDS. We had an MSDS for a particular liquid that stated that it can cause permanent blindness within seconds of of exposure...and it totally could...at 100% concentration...which nobody uses...because it could cause permanent blindness in a matter of seconds! :blink: That liquid was called Hydrogen Peroxide. You may recognize that as the brown bottles sold at drug stores as a disinfectant? Well in stronger concentrations, it's a powerful oxidizing agent that creates its own oxygen in fires and can eat away your flesh. Also, just for S&G, they put hydrochloric acid in there to keep it from venting oxygen during storage lol

Bottom line is you can't look at an MSDS and say that a particular chemical in a particular concentration is a health hazard especially if the HMIS number for human health is 0 or 1. If it's 3 or 4 though...keep the hell away!

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
soooo . . . we're goin back to analogs? :facepalm:

No we are not. In fact almost all products that advertise "Alcohol free" use Glycerin rather than PGA to accomplish that moniker. There is no immediate danger established by any credible source for VG/PG being toxic in the small doses we use for vaping. Keep in mind that ANYTHING is dangerous in huge amounts, such as Water, Oxygen, and Carbon Dioxide to name a few. Don't fall for the scare tactics or the overly protective wording on Material Data Safety Sheets as they are meant to be drastic.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
Here is a post about VG decomposing to acrolein at 280 degrees. It was related to defective cartomizers and atomizers, but some good info. Look back further because he talks about it a few times.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-video-reviews/195396-vmod-15.html#post4627745

Be careful dry burning your atomizers if they have VG remnants on them.

...once again I could be wrong BUT, I believe that is 280*C which is 536*F...which is about as hot as the top of a Coleman lantern on high......

brandontrjn

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Tampa!
seems as long as you turn your head to breath fresh air, your fine. :laugh:

Somebody has determined it and it's somewhere in this wealth of information on ECF. I know if it was 300 degrees, I couldn't get near my PV.

Yeah I stopped putting my e-juice in the deep fryer after I read that...too bad, that deep fried vapor is sooooo goooood!

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
...once again I could be wrong BUT, I believe that is 280*C which is 536*F...which is about as hot as the top of a Coleman lantern on high......

290*C, 554*F or 563K. If that was to happen anywhere near your hand you would be more worried about the skin melting effect than the glycerin trust me.

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone

He did say it wouldn't happen under normal use with juice on the atomizer only if it was glowing red like the defective atomizer/cartos with the coil loop sticking up outside the cup.

Dry burning does put out some pretty pungent smoke, but I really can't imagine anyone inhaling it. The warning would be more if you were in an enclosed space I suppose.

I really don't know how hot a wire gets or if his concerns were warranted, but it's good to know that burning VG at extremely high temperatures releases toxic poison.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Can someone please explain how we are (mostly) all just fine vaping VG, yet this MSDS portrays VG to be dangerous to inhale? (Scroll down to inhalation section, and first aid for inhalation). Thanks.

//www.essentialdepot.com/msds/msds%20glycerin%20kosher%20food%20grade.pdf"]http://www.essentialdepot.com/msds/msds%20glycerin%20kosher%20food%20grade.pdf

[/URL]

broke live download !! You can add this to the beginning:
[URL="http:

If reading this makes you concerned, you shouldn't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread