Vegetable glycerine (glycerol) - safety discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no idea what I'm talking about do you?
Personal opinions and beliefs do not count as scientific evidence. Maybe you can get that to your thick skulls some day.

And obviously you haven't done your homework on Dr. Loi. Enough said. I think using the ignore is a great idea, T-Bob. I'm with you.

Last edited:

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
look- Jig and others- Your contributions are valuable here- Jig- you've given many testing results 3which are important- just don't look down your nose at anectidotal evidneces as well as those evidences are also very valuable coupled with hte math paper evidences as well- Your contributions are again, valuable, but so are other's contributions- let's just all look at hte bigh picture instead of narrowing our visions down to one or the other baises.- Bipartisanships help the greatest number of people- partisanship does not

Naz, I didn't like the judgement of Dr. Loi as being less reliable than j's links posted. I can do my homework, but the same can be said about j. Dr. Loi is a respected member who has gotten the closest to a clinical trial on e-cigarettes than anyone. To judge him as a less reliable source on the subject is premature if j has not made the effort and gone in depth and read Dr. Loi's posts...and understand why we respect him.

And Naz, I appreciate what you're trying to do right now, but to someone who just called us a bunch of numb skulls, I would prefer to ignore this one.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
I didn't appreciate J's assertions either which is why I asked that he not be so partisan in his opinion that he simply wave a hand dismissing everyone else's contributions as the work that Dr Loi is doing is extrem,ely valuable and will help advance the issue- Hopefully J can be mature enough to allow that not everything is as black and white as he htinks it is- Real world results often times do not jive with hte on paper results, and I think we should all keep in mind that both the on paper noodlings, and hte real world testings and results have value.

J is obviously a smart dude, and hopefully he will continue to contribute his knowledge here without the extreme bias he seems to be displaying? We all certainly could benifit from his knowledge, if he's able to be bipartisan- If not, oh well.

jpc815

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2008
Tennessee, United States
No, thats how you have gained trust to him. I trust FDA etc. because these guys expose their conclusion process to public critic. Dr Loi's comments are both too vague to prove anything and too vague to make him put his "reputation where his mouth is".
you trust the FDA, the same FDA that approves drugs then years later after numerous people have been injured or died from major side effects of these drugs they then pull them off the market????8-o

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Wow...I did not know this war of words have been going on.....so calm down people....

Hi Jigtg...yes, I understand your predicament...first of all, I think I need to stress that my clinical trial is still ongoing and it is fully borne by me...njoy does not sponsored me and no manufacturer sponsored me in any way or form.....I make my own e-liquids (which raw material i bought from many different e-liquids peddlers and remanufactured in my own house)..please Jigtg , my clinical trial is completely from my own pocket and my patients....so that laid to rest first..okay?

secondly, whatever research has been done on our new found joy and toy is still far and minimal, so to ascertain whether each product is safe is still far off..we need time but please don't jump to conclusion...yet....I am still conducting the safety test but financial restraint is there and even some of our forum members actually tried to send money to me...I did not accept it..it is not right to do so because I feel it is wrong..I make do myself with the restraint...Hope that clears some fears...

I don't mind answering your PM jigtg so do pm me if you need help...I am very busy now with our country recent cropped up viral infections so if I am delayed in answering any post or pm , I hope all of you don't mind...

Thirdly, the temp cores reading is erratic at the best...depends on how long you are using the device but it also cools down pretty fast due to large surface area...I did not detect any form of noxious or dangerous form of chemicals but of course all these are still under investigations..yes, you are right, an ultrasonic version will be better..less heat mutation will occurs....

sorry, I can't answer all now but I hope peace will prevailed within this sector....no hard feelings my dear forummers...all we need now is time...

If we're going to dismiss sources of information like Dr. Loi, we'll have to dismiss this whole thread too because it's based on information from a chemist friend that we don't know and information from wikipedia...which anybody can edit.

See how silly that is?

Anyhow, with that said, all the information combined here...no matter the source, is GOOD information to help the individual decide for him/herself whether to vape VG or not.

CrystalLakeDave

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Carbondale PA
Now that I got back home and I finally received all the e-stuff ordered (2 pens, 2 minis, 2 cigars, 1 cigarillo; all kind of e-liquids) I wanted to start mixing my own stuff. Sadly, in the process, I found out something pretty bad about VG.

You should stop vaping VG now! It's not some theoretical hazard. The first chemist I asked about buying VG for smoking told me instantly I am crazy.

I am freaked out now. I just bought lot of VG the other day and am waiting for my package. I figured it would be safer than PG.

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
Now that I got back home and I finally received all the e-stuff ordered (2 pens, 2 minis, 2 cigars, 1 cigarillo; all kind of e-liquids) I wanted to start mixing my own stuff. Sadly, in the process, I found out something pretty bad about VG.

You should stop vaping VG now! It's not some theoretical hazard. The first chemist I asked about buying VG for smoking told me instantly I am crazy.

I am freaked out now. I just bought lot of VG the other day and am waiting for my package. I figured it would be safer than PG.

There are a lot of posts about VG in this forum, if you burn the VG is very dangerous but you are just vaporizing it, the VG actualy is not burning.

Maybe the person you asked thought that you want to burn the VG, but this is not the case.

jennydotz

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
West Virginia, USA
It's funny, I stumble on these horrifying old threads, no one seems too interested.

I'm like "Panic, Paranoia, certain death". Everyone else is all like "Will a blurple atomizer match my shoes--I need some 36mg juice and how should I store my batteries"

Why is everyone so calm about these things!!! Vaping PG makes me too spacey to properly function--VG is all I have left.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
It's funny, I stumble on these horrifying old threads, no one seems too interested.

I'm like "Panic, Paranoia, certain death". Everyone else is all like "Will a blurple atomizer match my shoes--I need some 36mg juice and how should I store my batteries"

Why is everyone so calm about these things!!! Vaping PG makes me too spacey to properly function--VG is all I have left.

Jenny--Could the spacey feeling be the nicotine as I have not heard of that from PG and as for VG, there is simply no issue as our atomizers do not heat anywhere near enough to cause the issues that where discussed and dismissed a while ago--Johnson Creek surley would not market VG if it was poision--Sun

jennydotz

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
West Virginia, USA
Sun--thanks--

I tested PG vs. VG, Super low to no-nicotine. I smoked a pack a day/20 yrs--no way it's too much nic. As for withdrawal, I haven't quit analogs, just cut back, so I don't think its that. It seems like the PG does not agree with me, I'm spacey for about an hour after vaping PG, not so with the VG. Open to suggestions though, because I have a rather large bottle of Riskee I want to vape

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Sun--thanks--

I tested PG vs. VG, Super low to no-nicotine. I smoked a pack a day/20 yrs--no way it's too much nic. As for withdrawal, I haven't quit analogs, just cut back, so I don't think its that. It seems like the PG does not agree with me, I'm spacey for about an hour after vaping PG, not so with the VG. Open to suggestions though, because I have a rather large bottle of Riskee I want to vape

Jennny--there are a lot of reports of people having issues with PG as it breaks down as lactic acid, while VG breaks down as simply glucose and there have been very few reports of VG issues--So get rid of the PG and make your own or order NON-PG from www.johnsoncreeksmokejuice.com --Hope that helps and let us know how you are doing--Sun

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Would it be safe to assume the Glycerin thats selling at Michael's is food-grade ??

I can't remember the name I saw on the bottle, but it was called Cake something and said Pure Glycerin. However, when I looked for markings of USP or any mention of it being food-grade I was unable to find it. It "is" for sale in the baking section.

On another note, I was in at Shoppers Drug Mart and they had a bottle of 100% Glycerin topical oil that had the USP banner on it, but was unsure because it was in the hand lotion section.

They did mention however that I could special order food grade 100% Propylene Glycol.

My search continues......

VapeOn,
Greg

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Would it be safe to assume the Glycerin thats selling at Michael's is food-grade ??

I can't remember the name I saw on the bottle, but it was called Cake something and said Pure Glycerin. However, when I looked for markings of USP or any mention of it being food-grade I was unable to find it. It "is" for sale in the baking section.

On another note, I was in at Shoppers Drug Mart and they had a bottle of 100% Glycerin topical oil that had the USP banner on it, but was unsure because it was in the hand lotion section.

They did mention however that I could special order food grade 100% Propylene Glycol.

My search continues......

VapeOn,
Greg

I use the one from Michael's. It is Wiltons brand. Since it was in the candy making aisle, I figured it to be food grade....and therefore safe.

I also bought Humco glycerin...USP....at walmarts near the bandaids. It is much thicker than the Wiltons...which I tend to prefer. But both seem safe to me.

Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread