Status
Not open for further replies.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
That idea has been on my mind for weeks! I think, since there are so many, I would appreciate them being in alphabetical order. Please

Is this a message board for members? Or sales?
I don't know about you all but when I open a catalog, I don't stop at the first page. And when I look at a list of suppliers, I don't stop at the A's. I don't particularly think that being first on the list is a good thing. Having a sale is a good thing.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Hi Seminolewind,

Please see my last post, the one before yours. It's quicker and easier to find a supplier's forum by Cntrl+F than if they are listed alphabetically. So the current ordering of longest-here at the top is just fine, you can find most of them in two or three seconds. As that's faster than scrolling down an alpha list, I figure it's not only acceptable but preferable.

I need to find different supplier forums several times a day and alphabetical listing would be too slow for me. Some of them can be reached from the top of the page in less than a second by using Cntrl+F. Much faster than alpha listing.

lordmage

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Dundalk,Maryland, USA
dont mind me tweaking his suggestion a bit
rg, Thanks for the response...though not quite the answer I preferred to hear, it was certainly logical and understandable.

Still not ready to let up completely (yet), I have one tweaked suggestion for you to mull over:

How about splitting the suppliers list into sub lists such as: (suppliers section broken down into three sections)

1) (Platinum Suppliers)Veteran Suppliers (who can pay-more to be listed in this section)...listed alphabetically other wise randomly at the bottom

2) (gold Suppliers)Approved/Endorsed Suppliers...(secondary area)also alphabetically (can also pay a fee to be listed at the top of this section A-Z)

3) New Suppliers...you guessed it, alphabetically with a paid fee, other wise randomly at the bottom of this section

Ed
Edit: no longer an issue with a re write thanks roly

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Hey LM,

What can I say, re-reading my Cntrl+F tute again it did look a bit abrupt. No doubt done after yet another 12-hour day on ECF I guess. I toned it down a bit.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I still think oldest-serving at the top, new guys at the bottom is the best value for members as they can easily see who's been around longest. Despite any rumours to the contrary, we don't just take the money if it suits us :) And since:

• It's faster to find the names by Cntrl+F than via alpha list scrolling
  • It's much better info for members to see who is long-serving
...I don't see it changing any time soon.

ps ..... I hope this isn't too direct for you :D

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
Has anyone ever considered listing them by location?

I'm UK and when I first came here it was a nightmare going through that list looking for UK suppliers.

Everyday I see a new person posting the question 'where can I find a local supplier?' and that question seems to have priority over the 'can they be trusted?' one..

Yes I realise most suppliers are US based, but to have them listed under the name of the state, would I believe help newcomers considerably.

The Vendors themselves surely would not have a problem with this? as it would not interfere with their length of time on ECF status.

lordmage

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Dundalk,Maryland, USA
RG,

no worries man and if you look at my suggest it would allow those long standing vet suppliers,regular suppliers who want to be list A-Z an option to do with or without fee.
i'll check your rewording and thanks ahead of time for the tone down.

Edit: Yes Ty for the tone down. i do understand about the long days we all have them from time to time.
Let me make it clear my earlier post was not about a standing policy only a suggestion for a possible semi solution for each section of suppliers
Vet suppliers who want to could be listed A-Z ahead of the random ones for the section. the same can be said for the other non vets as well. which would separate the Vets from the non vets
Main Home Page
-Sponsoring suppliers break it down do Vets non-vets and new guys
--Vet long standing suppliers A-Z at the top (Vet suppliers section)
-- non Vet suppliers A-Z (regular supplier section)
--New guys A-Z below them in there own section (New supplier section)

Maybe you can see some what what i was suggesting
Yes using search Ie ctrl F is a easy solution for those who know about it but if in the end it don't matter about weather it is A-z or not then why not just do A-Z just to make it seem more orderly,neat and clean if for no other reason. the Vets could be A-z above the non-vets to address your issue of giving them better placement. if this will never change maybe it would be better to come out and point by point explain why it may go a long way towards stopping the request that will never be.

I do agree that maybe A note of some sort to basic area. take Vaporcountry for example maybe on the front page it could be Vapor country -Baltimore,Md basic location members may want to support there local supplier if they have that option.
Hey LM,

What can I say, re-reading my Cntrl+F tute again it did look a bit abrupt. No doubt done after yet another 12-hour day on ECF I guess. I toned it down a bit.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I still think oldest-serving at the top, new guys at the bottom is the best value for members as they can easily see who's been around longest. Despite any rumours to the contrary, we don't just take the money if it suits us :) And since:

...I don't see it changing any time soon.

ps ..... I hope this isn't too direct for you :D

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@Cat
@LM

Yes we definitely need a Location 'marking' of some kind. First I thought another page with all that stuff on it. Then - no - simple is best.

So let's just have something like 'US, MD, Baltimore' or 'CAN, Montreal' by their names, maybe. We can have an info page as well, later.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us

Hmmm almost too simple... I like it.... sort of like using the google search bar in the bottom left of the site to find that thread that everyone is talking about

RG Thanks for the tip...even after the not so computer savvy give that tip a try no matter how it's organized people sould be satisfied..

Good Job.... and keep it up :D

pcqueene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2009
Quad Cities, IL
OH! A location of suppliers would be fantastic. I go into the suppliers threads and find their location as 'right behind you' or something similar, it's hard. To go to their websites and find no locations is also frustrating. I don't know if they're UK (sometimes the prices give it away), China, US, or BFE.

I am very happy to have found this forum and love the information provided here. I don't mind digging for information, but the suppliers list is l-o-n-g.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
OK we are on to the supplier location thing. Locations are being added after the supplier name of their forums.

Some the Mods couldn't find on their sites so I've just put a ?? for now - if you happen to know where they are then let me know by PM please.

Also there is currently an 'anonymous supplier' issue: in the past, nobody worried too much if we didn't have full details for them, or if they had no proper Contact page on their site. That has finished now and all suppliers will be required to have their full details lodged with us, and to have a Contact page on their site with an email and address. Anonymous virtual suppliers will not be allowed and any that refuse to comply will be gone.

However there is an issue with full enforcement of this right now: US suppliers have a big problem with FDA pressure and may even risk unwarranted action from over-enthusiastic governement agencies. They have a genuine need to avoid exact locations on their sites. We will assist by giving only a rough location for them till this is all settled. They can also defer having a Contact page as well.

It is necessary for our members to know what country a supplier is in, and what approximate area, and that is all we will insist on.

MetalPrincess

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Canada

I read ECF mostly on my cell phone...Ctrl+F isn't possible. I never bother trying to look for a suppliers forum because I'd have to slowly go through each name and hope I didn't miss it instead of scrolling close to it first (if they were alpha/location/etc sorted) .

I'm sure it's written somewhere but I had no idea 'til I read it in this thread that the suppliers' forums were ranked by seniority. I thought they were just in a mess because of the server change and hadn't been cleaned up yet. :oops:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
MetalPrincess:-
I'm sure it's written somewhere but I had no idea 'til I read it in this thread that the suppliers' forums were ranked by seniority. I thought they were just in a mess because of the server change and hadn't been cleaned up yet.

So, we need to tell people that. Fair enough - obvious I guess. Dohh.

Mobiles, Internet Exploder, Macs - my life is hell.

pcqueene:-
Thank you so very much, Rolygate....you are most excellent. The locations are truly helpful for a newbie.

Well it helps everyone but my little secret is I did it for my benefit - don't tell anyone.

MetalPrincess

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
So, we need to tell people that. Fair enough - obvious I guess. Dohh.

Mobiles, Internet Exploder, Macs - my life is hell.

LOL...no IE or Macs here!!;) In Firefox, instead of Ctrl+F you can also type / then start typing to bring up the quickfind bar then use F3 (or Ctrl+G) to 'Find Next'. For those with tiny notebook/webbook keyboards the single keystrokes can be a lot easier.

Adding the locations is GREAT!! Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread