Verified Member Vote - Trader Option

Would you like return feedback be mandatory?

• Yes, I think return feedback should be required.

Votes: 95 71.4%
  • No, leave feedback as optional.

Votes: 38 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
While perusing the features of our new Feedback system, I found an option that might be worth considering. Please keep in mind we are not 100% sure exactly how it will work but from what I understand the description below should be accurate.

In the past we have had several discussions and complaints over feedback not being reciprocated on successful transactions. The buyer/seller/trader leaves feedback but the other party fails to provide feedback in return. In the old system there was not much we could do but delete feedback that had been posted for a member that would not return the feedback. Well, this new feedback system has an option to require feedback to be reciprocated.

This is the option we have:
Require Feedback Reply

If enabled, all positive feedback left for a specific thread will not be active until a feedback is left back.

**Note this applies to positive feedback only, neutral and negative will post immediately with no required return feedback**

So as it states, the scenario may be as follows:
1. Buyer pays and seller leaves positive feedback for buyer.
2. Seller's feedback is held in queue.
3. Buyer receives merchandise and returns feedback.
4. Feedback in queue is released and posted to buyer.

So if reciprocating feedback is never received the feedback that is in queue will never be posted. Of course the scenario above works both ways, so basically both participants have to leave feedback before it will be added to your trader history.

We have discussed this and can see how this could be helpful but we also think there could be some downsides. So what we propose is, we can enable this option and give it a 30 day trial and if in 30 days it appears to be working well, we will make it permanent. The Classifieds staff will make the final decision, should the vote reflect the desire to add this feature.

Also, I want to bring this up as well. Some members are finding themselves unable to leave feedback at times. The main problem with this is, you must have participated in a thread before you can leave feedback. So a member must post at least 1 time in a classifieds ad in order to be able to leave feedback for that ad. So if nothing else post "Sent you a PM" or something similar to have yourself as a participant.

I'll leave the poll running for the next 3 days, through the weekend, and then we will go with the results of the vote.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Interesting. I think most of the time feedback is often ignored because it's not routine and it might be good to use it more. It's low risk to try and see what happens.

I haven't used it since the new system has gone into place but I know the number one reason I haven't left feedback for others is that I get busy and forget since it's in an area I rarely use. I hope with the new system there's obvious (hit me over the head with a baseball bat) checkbox or link to use.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Also, I want to bring this up as well. Some members are finding themselves unable to leave feedback at times. The main problem with this is, you must have participated in a thread before you can leave feedback. So a member must post at least 1 time in a classifieds ad in order to be able to leave feedback for that ad. So if nothing else post "Sent you a PM" or something similar to have yourself as a participant.

However, currently, inputing the thread is optional, so you can still leave feedback without posting in the thread.

Which brings up another question:

A seller leaves feedback for the buyer, but doesn't input the thread (since it's optional). When the buyer then leaves feedback (also without listing the specific thread), will the system know it's for the same transaction?

Is the reciprocation based on members (only), or is it based on the particular thread?

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What about sellers who do not leave the initial feedback?

"Of course the scenario above works both ways, so basically both participants have to leave feedback before it will be added to your trader history."
Doesn't matter who leaves feedback first, the other must reciprocate before the feedback applies.

Questions:

Is there a time limit on when feedback can be reciprocated? 5 days? 1 month? Forever?
Does the second person know that feedback has been left and is in a queue, prompting them to reciprocate?

To be honest the time limit is one of the things I am unsure about, I'm thinking that until feedback is reciprocated the queue remains, forever I would assume. This is one of the things we would find out after enabling the feature.

Everyone should now receive an alert when feedback is possted. How this alert will read I can't be certain. Maybe something like "You have pending feedback from *member name*" or something along those lines.

Some of these uncertainties is why we are suggesting this as a trial. Even if this is voted to enable it doesn't mean we will keep it. Once we have used it for about 30 days, we will evaluate the system then decide whether to keep it or not.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Rating - 100%
491   0   0
I leave feedback for 50 people at a whack. As much as I think that it is very inconsiderate when it is not reciprocated, I also do not believe that Feedback should be "Quid Pro Quo". Holding someones feedback as hostage unless they give it to me just feels wrong.

In my eyes "Quid Pro Quo" would weaken the value of the Feedback system.
At least I wouldnt value it as much......

Last edited:

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I leave feedback for 50 people at a whack. As much as I think that it is very inconsiderate when it is not reciprocated, I also do not believe that Feedback should be "Quid Pro Quo". Holding someones feedback as hostage unless they give it to me just feels wrong.

In my eyes "Quid Pro Quo" would weaken the value of the Feedback system.
At least I wouldnt value it as much......
But the whole intention (value) of the trader system is to provide members a representation of a member's reputation. This is important to some.

By enabling this option won't remove your ability to choose whether to leave feedback or not, it just means if you choose not to you won't receive feedback. Our thinking, like most, is if someone takes the time to leave you feedback, you should return the favor. As it is now, a member leaves feedback but may never receive feedback in return.

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Rating - 100%
120   0   0
While I have certainly had more dealings than what my feedback respesents, I have to believe my "reputation" elsewhere is what helped me along to begin with. I try and for the most part believe I have left feedback for others, I'm sure I have missed a few only because I forget. If there were some reminder - for the seller - when we close a thread - which should be when the payment is made - to leave feedback, then I could accept that...but to hold ones feedback hostage till they reciprocated would not keep the spirit of the feedback system.
Hope that made sense?

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
However, currently, inputing the thread is optional, so you can still leave feedback without posting in the thread.

Unless something was changed the new system will not let you leave feedback without having posted in the thread. I had it happen after the changeover and had to ask Joker to re open the thread to post in it before I could leave feedback.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I do understand the concept, and think it's great that you're trying to think of ways to make things as good as they can be, but I'd much prefer it be free & open (versus a forced issue).

If someone chooses to leave feedback for me, I appreciate it. If they do not, so be it. But knowing they were forced to do so would take some of the value away (for me).

To paraphrase Mr. Gump, freedom is as freedom does (and life is like a box of choc-o-lats).

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
I thought when the new board initially went live that there was a user option to delete feedback that you left for somebody else, but now I can't find it. Did I imagine that, or was the system quickly modified to remove that option from the membership?

My point is, I would like the option of deleting feedback that I have left for any other member that has not reciprocated. That way, the other party is not required to leave feedback, but I can retract theirs if I choose, without having to contact a moderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread