Status
Not open for further replies.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Redid my twisted 28g for the second time -- omitted the twists at the top and wrapped the coils in the opposite direction to shorten the total length and make rewicking easier. Most surprising is that the resistance is almost the same as my previous build, this time at 0.43Ω. I'll try to lower the center point of the coils another couple of millimeters next time to get them closer to the airflow hole, but it's still a fantastic, flavorful vape.

edit: If any of you are into rebuilding and don't have a pair of ceramic tweezers yet, order one right now. It makes tightening up wraps on builds like this one soooo much easier.

I'm just now noticing that the long center post screw is a little loose and leans a little to one side, but doesn't seem to affect anything. Any cause for concern there?

Look through the air hole. It might be favoring air flow on one side. Other than that I don't see it affecting anything. Can you straighten it? Looks like that plastic nut ought to drop down in the hole (mine doesn't look like that).

Yep, it appears his insulator has come unseated, it should sit down inside the cutout and only protrude a 1/4 of a mm or so.

I would attempt to properly install it/the center post, you should likely even be able to save the build if you're careful (unhook top leads, lower post, the reattach/clip top leads), otherwise it could shift over on you and cause a hard short at some point.

Reactions: eLefAdEr

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
Redid my twisted 28g for the second time -- omitted the twists at the top and wrapped the coils in the opposite direction to shorten the total length and make rewicking easier. Most surprising is that the resistance is almost the same as my previous build, this time at 0.43Ω. I'll try to lower the center point of the coils another couple of millimeters next time to get them closer to the airflow hole, but it's still a fantastic, flavorful vape.

edit: If any of you are into rebuilding and don't have a pair of ceramic tweezers yet, order one right now. It makes tightening up wraps on builds like this one soooo much easier.

Ct71yST.jpg

I'm just now noticing that the long center post screw is a little loose and leans a little to one side, but doesn't seem to affect anything. Any cause for concern there?

I would stop vaping this ASAP and fix that insulator. The Positive pin going to ground out. That would be a dead short and venting batteries.

The positive pin(screw) has slowly loosened until there was enough room for the top insulator to move completely out of place. If it touches and part of the Veritas deck and you fire the mod it will short out.

eLefAdEr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
I would stop vaping this ASAP and fix that insulator. The Positive pin going to ground out. That would be a dead short and venting batteries.

The positive pin(screw) has slowly loosened until there was enough room for the top insulator to move completely out of place. If it touches and part of the Veritas deck and you fire the mod it will short out.

It'll be my next order of business. Thank you very much for telling me.
edit: I'll just re-do the coils, proving to be too difficult to salvage while attempting to fix.
edit2: I guess I spoke too soon, somehow managed to salvage it. Undid all screws, removed coil(s) carefully, re-seat insulator, put coil back in and tighten down all screws. They aren't as uniform as before but they are heating up evenly.

Thanks again for the advice, I now know to ensure the insulator is positioned properly before finalizing a build.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagi

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
It'll be my next order of business. Thank you very much for telling me.
edit: I'll just re-do the coils, proving to be too difficult to salvage while attempting to fix.

Very easy. Just needs to be retightened and rebuilt.

I have had one of my Veritas RDAs do the same thing.

Reactions: eLefAdEr

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
I've been eyeing these, but couldn't find any reviews. You guys have sold me. My poor budget is about to take another blow.:facepalm: if i can find one in stock.

Grimm Green, Rip Trippers, Phil Busardo, Richard Ng, Suck My Mod, Todd, etc. have all reviewed the thing a while back.

Got a bit of a love/hate relationship with that one. Like the flavor I can get out of it, but find it annoying to build on and re-wick.

Reactions: ph0kused

Blackl1sted

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
I enjoy the atty very much. One thing very important though, is you have to adjusti the coil distance from the air hole right, else you get less favor.

What spacing is good for more flavor? I have just been putting the coil closer to the air hole, never spaced it out that much.

paulparnham

May 25, 2015
Loving mine...as taki said the atty is virtually leakproof by way of its design. The vape is on the cooler side, but the flavor is amazing....as good if not better than my Immortalizer.....Building on it isn't too bad once you figure it out. You want the 2 coils (assuming you're building two) as close together in front of the airhole as possible, so that when you drip through the airhole (yes, I said drip through the airhole) the juice hits the coils.....

The Veritas is designed so that you tilt it sideways and drip through the singular airhole.....once you see how it works it really is ingenious....
personally I think its better in single horizontal coil mode

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Just put this beast on my veritas. 3mmID, 22g, .4ohms or so and at 55 watts on my SIG it's unreal in flavor and vapor is ginormous....it maybe 24g. High above air hole horizontal mode. Killer vape mounted on my Manhattan V2.
uploadfromtaptalk1436118209607.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1436118313598.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1436118319599.jpg

Last edited:

Ongakos

Nov 3, 2014
Athens
My genuine Veritas arrived today after 3 months..I did a nickel single horizontal and one vertical coil 28g,2mm,0.09 ohms, 15 Joules.I am using the Yihi SX mini with most atomizers I have. I was surprised when I put my e-liquid Five Pawns Grand Master to the KGD cotton and pushed the button just to see if all are ok. I saw the positive leg of my NI200 coil to be ''too hot -red''- after a second...When I tried to repeat that, a flame came through the cotton near the hot leg...

I replaced the horizontal coil to an identical vertical coil. The same symptoms...hot coil wire to the positive but no flame ..

To both setups , flavor is bad ,as dry hit after a second (when the leg is going red). That hot leg even with temperature control... makes the flavor to be bad....I think the high temperature of that length of wire'' burns'':evil: the favors inside the atomizer.
I am disappointed as I can not enjoy that RDA where hundreds of fantastic comments are written everywhere.
I am experienced to rebuildable atomizers but I can not be able to fix that issue which destroys..:( the flavor of the long awaited Veritas.
Could you please help me on how to solve that problem? :(:(:(

Thanking you in advance

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
My genuine Veritas arrived today after 3 months..I did a nickel single horizontal and one vertical coil 28g,2mm,0.09 ohms, 15 Joules.I am using the Yihi SX mini with most atomizers I have. I was surprised when I put my e-liquid Five Pawns Grand Master to the KGD cotton and pushed the button just to see if all are ok. I saw the positive leg of my NI200 coil to be ''too hot -red''- after a second...When I tried to repeat that, a flame came through the cotton near the hot leg...

I replaced the horizontal coil to an identical vertical coil. The same symptoms...hot coil wire to the positive but no flame ..

To both setups , flavor is bad ,as dry hit after a second (when the leg is going red). That hot leg even with temperature control... makes the flavor to be bad....I think the high temperature of that length of wire'' burns'':evil: the favors inside the atomizer.
I am disappointed as I can not enjoy that RDA where hundreds of fantastic comments are written everywhere.
I am experienced to rebuildable atomizers but I can not be able to fix that issue which destroys..:( the flavor of the long awaited Veritas.

Thanking you in advance
I don't know nickle or temp control so I can't help you. Try to post a picture if you can. It will help someone else who has experience with nickle to see if they can figure it out.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010

Thanking you in advance

Ive only had it happen once or twice after running only nickel horizontal builds in my clones for last ~7 months. Usually after ive dropped the mod or somehow disturbed the coil.

Remove the wick and try pulsing/adjusting the coil a bit till the hot leg goes away, try to avoid glowing any part of the coil if possible, a bit of adjustment and it should start firing normally.

Ongakos

Nov 3, 2014
Athens
THANK you very much.

I just have changed my wick positioning and I see no hot upper leg. I positioned the wick's length that was close to the upper leg so to touch well my vertical coil's upper leg. It seems that change of the wick positioning acts as a heat absorber and things are now much better. Flavor is not the best for the moment , there are still some kind of dry burn taste .Those might left in the cotton wick that is the same, but is improved by not having that hot leg problem anymore.
I might sleep well now ..as I think the problem has been solved.
It was my first experience with that RDA which is not the easiest atomizer to build and the first time that I saw hot leg glowing to a Nickel coil..!!..

I was always very careful, very concentrated to my coil and wick builds , trying to be as accurate as possible to the specs and the maintenance of my atomizers and mods.

I will do more experiments tomorrow on how better I might setup my long awaited Veritas, in order to make it perform as I expected.

I know that needs time and days of experiments, but after solving that hot leg issue, things will go smoother, faster and better I hope.

Reactions: xtwosm0kesx

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
THANK you very much.

I just have changed my wick positioning and I see no hot upper leg. I positioned the wick's length that was close to the upper leg so to touch well my vertical coil's upper leg. It seems that change of the wick positioning acts as a heat absorber and things are now much better. Flavor is not the best for the moment , there are still some kind of dry burn taste .Those might left in the cotton wick that is the same, but is improved by not having that hot leg problem anymore.
I might sleep well now ..as I think the problem has been solved.
It was my first experience with that RDA which is not the easiest atomizer to build and the first time that I saw hot leg glowing to a Nickel coil..!!..

I was always very careful, very concentrated to my coil and wick builds , trying to be as accurate as possible to the specs and the maintenance of my atomizers and mods.

I will do more experiments tomorrow on how better I might setup my long awaited Veritas, in order to make it perform as I expected.

I know that needs time and days of experiments, but after solving that hot leg issue, things will go smoother, faster and better I hope.

Its definitely not easy to build especially at first and with nickel, but once you get the hang of it its about as easy most anything else.

I get the best performance/flavor running a horizontal build set as close to the airhole as possible without risking the top lead shorting on the wall. Getting the 90deg bend coming off the nut just right helps align everything better/keep it in place. Top leads are one full wrap around the post then nuts tightened.

I also take another piece of cotton about the same length of my mick and lay it over/on top of the coil and then stuff it down in the wells, makes the flavor even better but makes it more likely to leak as the wells are full of wick.

Best of luck!

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
With how cheap wire is I would definitely scrape that build and start new. If you get a hot leg without a wick you will still have a hot leg once you put cotton on it and will have that burnt taste. Try both horizontal and verticals, as some prefer on over the other in this awesome RDA. I actually prefer verticals as I got find them easier to build and not get the hot leg on the top post. Short coils are trickier on the Veritas to not have hot legs also. A good starting point would be to try to get the coil to almost bridge the space between the connections. This will minimize the chance for a hot leg.

d07486145741731dd48209c973513b47.jpg

fced4c48348537c73fb1e7b5b7f1676a.jpg

The top wick is not folded over to prevent hot leg, I run my Veritas a bit hot and it help wicking keep up with my chain vaping.

Last edited:

Ongakos

Nov 3, 2014
Athens
Thank you so much for your time ,also for the nice pictures and for your valuable help.

I appreciate that very much:) It is nice to share experiences and thoughts with good people around the world.

I have followed both your advices with good flavor results and no hot leg anymore !!

1st,I tried to do the vertical setup as described and exactly as your picture, using Ni200 28 g from UD . Very good results and very good taste.

2nd, I tried after that to do an horizontal coil as you described but not with the extra layer for the moment as I will do that as a second step so to see the difference. I used for that setup NI200 26g from UD. As that wire is thicker than that of my first build that was 28g there is no hot leg. I think that should be the reason. That build has a resistance 0,06 ohms.. and gave me very good flavor but needs more Joules of my Yihi SX Mini due to the extra thickness if the wire. I am flavor fanatic and I vape with the nickel builds about 15 Joules using the SX mini or 15 Watts when I use the VS RDNA 40 ,both to 400F. What do you think about the 15 watts. I am trying to use that low watts-Joules level so to keep the e liquids flavor as much as possible and also to reduce health risks of high temperatures.

I am not sure about the flavor differences between horizontal and vertical flavor builds as I was under stress during the builds trying to do them according your suggestions. Also vaper's mouth is the new problem as during my job I vaped a lot before to do these setups.

I loved the Veritas beautiful smooth, silky, full of flavors taste and it's quite warm fine vape.

All the best from Greece

Reactions: Tagi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread