Vertical coil / wick build on Kangertech RBA (Great for 20/80 juice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Kangertech's newest rba works so well with a vertical coil , I figured to show some photos of the build!!
01 B&W Subox better.JPG
1st- photo of the KT. subox. Black & White.>>>>
03 rebuildable coil.JPG
2nd-rba coil head as the come.>>>>
04 rba as they ship it.JPG
3rd- Taken apart, showing the stock horizontal coil.>>>>
05 their coil out-3.5mm coil db.JPG
4th- Stock coil out. 3.5mm screw driver for the vertical coil build. NOTE: The 3.5mm driver does not fit air way. I use a smaller driver to keep in place after the coil build is complete.>>>>
06 vertical coil build showing 5 ohm.JPG
5th- 5 wraps of 26 ga. kanthal ( micro style coil ) gives you .5 ohm ... Of course make sure its not shorting out to any metal. The first few fire-ups should correct the coil burning. I don't pinch the coil, just red-hot it 5 to 8 times. Make sure coil screws are secure.>>>>
07 shows pc of cotton size.JPG
6th- Flat cotton sheet separated, than a 1/4" strip is all that's needed. Cut 1 pc. of this 1 1/8" long. The remanding pc. in half, ( 5/8" each pc. ).>>>>
08 start of wicking.JPG
7th- Start the 1 1/8" pc of cotton by tucking between coil and post, then push down ( and on top ) between the next post. As you see it here I leave the wick up then place the barrel on and secure set screw.>>>>
09 third complete wicking.JPG
8th- Now you can set the cotton down and around the coil. The smaller cotton pc's will be needed to fill in at the wick ports. IMPORTANT: Don't pack it tight.>>
10 wicking complete.JPG
9th- With cotton in place, prime with your juice and screw on coil cap.>>>>
11 pushing wick into port.JPG
10th- If your using a high VG juice, push the cotton in at the wicking ports. Let the juice flow in easily. The cotton will expand a bit and you won't have any flooding. NOTE: If you notice anything close to a dry hit, pull off the bottom of the tank and poke the cotton back into the wicking port hole.

FINISHING NOTES:
This coil can be burned clean and re-wicked several times.
The air flow through the vertical coil is fantastic.
Thick juice wicks nicely when the cotton isn't packed hard.

Hope this helps anyone out there wanting to try the vertical coil build on this Kangertech RBA.
Please let me know what you think of it.:cool:

VapeOn

Last edited:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Thanks Tom
I tried a lot of builds and this has been my favorite, especially using the thick juices.
Yeah no problem. I see a ton of horizontal builds in the subtank bud thread. Kangertech learned that even in their OCC coils that vertical was the better way to go. I'm debating ordering a 528 custom vapes Monster V2 (blemished box, $69 instead of $100) or V3 for $75. Even the way they recommend wicking is a vertical chimney build.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Can you give me some advice....I CANNOT for the life of me get the side screw off the coil! brand new out of packaging and I've tried three different blue screw drivers and it will not turn. Did you have any issues?

Believe it or not, try tapping it with the handle of the screw driver. Kind of hard, but not so hard to hurt yourself (OR) the coil head.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
I did want to add one important Note:
When I built a second RBA as a spare...
One side of the post screw (either the positive or negative, I forgot which one) ,,,,was shorting out against the side when the coil barrel was placed on.
The fix I used was filing the side down a bit to stop the short.
nice - i have gotten in the habit of after i have the coil seated, secured and clipped, i will loosen the screws, slide it to one side and clip about 1/16" off, slide it to the other side and do the same, center and secure again... that side barrel shorting business was chappin' my woolies, lol

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
One other issue I encountered was >> when re-filling the tank, the top of the coil unscrewed and remained on the chimney.
I used tweezers carefully and gently to ( twist and pull ) the coil top off the chimney. Its a tight squeeze between the glass and the ( 4 SS tank structure bracing ) but it comes off.
By the 4th refill, the bushing in the cap is getting worn in and not an issue.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
One other issue I encountered was >> when re-filling the tank, the top of the coil unscrewed and remained on the chimney.
I used tweezers carefully and gently to ( twist and pull ) the coil top off the chimney. Its a tight squeeze between the glass and the ( 4 SS tank structure bracing ) but it comes off.
By the 4th refill, the bushing in the cap is getting worn in and not an issue.

Ive been using mine off and on for a few months and occasionally that cap still comes off inside the tank. that bushing seals GOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread