Very differnt vape - same tank, same settings, different mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooMuchOrangeTang

May 12, 2016
United States
So, I know that there's going to be a variance between mods due to margin of error and chipset, but I didn't expect it to be wildly different.

Using the same tank, with the same juice and the same airflow settings, I get a wildly different vape when it's attached to my VTC mini and then my ipv 5.

Settings:
VTC Mini (in TCR):
29.0 Watts
TCR 88

IPV 5 (in TCR):
29.0 "Joules" (it's my understanding that the IPV uses Joules imprecisely, and it should be treated as Watts on -their- devices)
TCR 88

The VTC measures my coil resistance at .44, the IPV at .4.

The VTC is noticeably warmer, fuller, and better flavored - the IPV is a cooler, smoother and more subtle. By a lot. Like way more than I thought would happen. Is this normal?

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
So, I know that there's going to be a variance between mods due to margin of error and chipset, but I didn't expect it to be wildly different.

Using the same tank, with the same juice and the same airflow settings, I get a wildly different vape when it's attached to my VTC mini and then my IPV 5.

Settings:
VTC Mini (in TCR):
29.0 Watts
TCR 88

IPV 5 (in TCR):
29.0 "Joules" (it's my understanding that the IPV uses Joules imprecisely, and it should be treated as Watts on -their- devices)
TCR 88

The VTC measures my coil resistance at .44, the IPV at .4.

The VTC is noticeably warmer, fuller, and better flavored - the IPV is a cooler, smoother and more subtle. By a lot. Like way more than I thought would happen. Is this normal?

Dunno how the IPV5 handles joules, but to give a brief explanation of what a joule is: Joules is the amount of total power used for a given time. For example, 29 watts for 1 second is 29 joules. However, 29 watts for 2 seconds is 58 joules.

Now, here are some purely theoretical theories.. and just my own thoughts. Perhaps the IPV5 uses Joules per second, but doesn't maintain a constant wattage throughout the vape. Perhaps it jumps it up to... say 58 watts for 1/4th of a second to heat up the coil quickly, but when it gets up to temp, it lowers the watts to 10-15 for the remainder of the "second" to maintain temperature only. Whereas in a Wattage mode, it runs it at 29 watts until it gets up to temperature, then throttles it down to maintain temperature, or pulses 29 watts to maintain temp...

Again, it is just a theory.

TooMuchOrangeTang

May 12, 2016
United States
Dunno how the IPV5 handles joules, but to give a brief explanation of what a joule is: Joules is the amount of total power used for a given time. For example, 29 watts for 1 second is 29 joules. However, 29 watts for 2 seconds is 58 joules.

Now, here are some purely theoretical theories.. and just my own thoughts. Perhaps the IPV5 uses Joules per second, but doesn't maintain a constant wattage throughout the vape. Perhaps it jumps it up to... say 58 watts for 1/4th of a second to heat up the coil quickly, but when it gets up to temp, it lowers the watts to 10-15 for the remainder of the "second" to maintain temperature only. Whereas in a Wattage mode, it runs it at 29 watts until it gets up to temperature, then throttles it down to maintain temperature, or pulses 29 watts to maintain temp...

Again, it is just a theory.

From what I've read, the IPV is just wildly abusing "joules" to mean "watts" while being "different" from other chips, unfortunately. It would be cool if actually crunching was going on but...

TooMuchOrangeTang

May 12, 2016
United States
Many mods read Ohm of the coil with slight variance, my Kbox 120 read the same coil and tank at 0.48Ohm while Nugget read it 0.52, even if the reading show the same, it is substantial enough to make a lot of difference in vaping output.

Of the three mods I have (and who knows how accurate they are), two place this coil at .44 and .45 ohm, respectively. The IPV rates it at 0.4.

I wish I had something more precise than a multimeter to check the actual resistance of this coil.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Not a big deal imo. set it to where you like to vape it, let heat and throat hit be your guide, numbers do not really matter much other than to be a guide.

The battery being used can make a huge difference. Are the batts in the IPV high quality high drain and fully charged? As that will impact performance greatly as well.

If you can get a good-great vape off of it then fine. Don't sweat the small stuff. Move on, nothing to see here. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread