VG & Acrolein

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyInAZ

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Started vaping about a month ago. Started with Halo juices and they won't reveal their pg/vg ratio:

(What is the pg/vg ratio of your e-liquid?
This is proprietary information which we are unable to share at this time. There are many companies looking to duplicate Halo e-liquid, and we prefer not to offer any specific information regarding ratios or specific ingredients.)
but thinking it's mostly pg.

Got a sample of "Vita Bella Tobacco" from Goodejuice. Really like it, 50/50 pv/vg.
Great tobacco flavor and plenty of vapor. Really like the extra vapor, not much on TH but great flavor and love the tobacco flavor and the extra vapor is attributive to the extra vg, correct?

For me, the act of "smoking" plays an important role in my vaping, seeing and feeling the vapor helps mimic an analog more for me and helps me to stay off the analogs.
As a matter of fact, just ordered VG Cigar (Tobacco) 30 ML ( Hope I like it) from Liberty Flights which is straight VG. ( Loved cigars)

I recently read that: "There is an important question about safety concerning VG, that does not affect the other two liquids: if taken to over its boiling point it can degrade into acrolein, which is poisonous. However all tests so far indicate that for some reason this does not happen in an e-cigarette although theoretically it might."

Does anyone else that likes/uses straight vg have concerns regarding the possibility of acrolein toxicity? Have there been any studies on this? I Googled it but found nothing.

GuyInAZ

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
....don't quote me cause I never stayed at a HoliDayInn or played a chemist on TV...BUT, I did read somewhere, the temp for the formation of acrolien is more than twice what the temp reached while vaping is...I dunno, just what I read somewhere. one time, back when.............
madjack:2cool:
I also read that "Acrolein apparently has a strong, characteristic odor so it would be noticed " but.... at that point would it be too late?

GuyInAZ

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Just found this.

"Acrolein can be a chemical formed in certain chemical reactions with chemicals in e-cigarette solutions. Numerous studies regarding this have been posted and it has shown to not be a concern in e-cigarette applications. Those studies have also shown that In addition to reaching its boiling point, the chemicals would require a catalyst that is absent from our solution. It would also be produced in the form of a deposit, not in the form of an inhalation such as vapor or gas."

So.... I guess it's not an issue. Considering the thousands of toxins in analogs as compared to vaping :vapor:

wyetterp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Murrells Inlet, SC
As a side note....I don't believe companies that say the can't say because it's "proprietary". There are so many great companies & flavors out there that openly give the proportions. It's not like your asking for every single ingredient, which by the way is on every thing else we consume. Even coke post there ingredients.

It makes me think some of the vendors are buying from somewhere else & honestly don't know, or they are just being a little stuck up. If a vendor won't release basic info like that I for one won't really deal with them. There's way to many allergies & health concerns we as customers have & these vendors need to be forthright. If they won't say, no big deal. I'll just buy from some one who will.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
PG/VG ratios are a pretty basic question and should be answered. Many people have allergies to PG (me included). Kinda like not telling a peanut allergic kid if something had peanuts in it. Can anyone say lawsuit? I am with 36tinybells, DIY all the way for me. I say use your consumer power and don't buy from them and let them know exactly why you are not buying from them. JMHO

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
There have been discussions of this on other threads. The result of the conversation was that it takes much higher temps to produce acrolein than we encounter in ecigs. The closest conditions might be during a dry burn with VG coated on the coil where a red hot coil produces little streams of smoke from actual burning of the the residue.

I'm no expert and I'm only repeating what I have read, but I would think the danger is minimal if you keep the coil immersed in liquid. Don't let it dry out and vape the acrid result of burned juice. Of course, no one would vape until the coil reaches those temps. You'd hit the Yuucck point far before the high temperature levels needed to produce acrolein, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread