VG , PG and Nic Base Exp Date ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miro011

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2015
Canada
Hello , I kind of like the new look better but dont like it at the same time cos im gonna have to adjust to it but anyhow , im thinking about buying some more PG and VG and this time I will buy 1L of each , does it normally have an expiration date that I need to worry about once it is open ?

On a side note , my DYI juices have been awesome , the very first that I made couple of days ago was spot on using math and advanced chemistry equipment .

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
I bought some vg from a store over here and it has an expiry date of December 2018 on the container.
Pg not sure of but should last quite a while.
Nic many people keep in the freezer. It won't freeze if there is mostly pg in it , can get rather thick I'm told if theres vg in it.
Air and light and heat are the main things to avoid.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hello , I kind of like the new look better but dont like it at the same time cos im gonna have to adjust to it but anyhow , im thinking about buying some more PG and VG and this time I will buy 1L of each , does it normally have an expiration date that I need to worry about once it is open ?

On a side note , my DYI juices have been awesome , the very first that I made couple of days ago was spot on using math and advanced chemistry equipment .

My PG has a best before date 5 years after the manufacturing date and my VG is 2 years I think. Nicotine doesn't change that.

I believe those numbers are for storage at room temperature, out of sunlight. I put my nic base (both PG and VG) in the freezer and I expect it to last at least 10 years.

Reactions: K_Tech

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Both PG and VG are hygroscopic, which means they will adsorb some moisture from the air when opened, and they may oxidize a bit if left exposed to the atmosphere.

If stored in a sealed container in a cool, dry area away from sunlight, I wouldn't worry about it for a few years unless you're buying it in 55 gallon drums.

As to nicotine, I am too lazy to search, but someone over in the DIY forum found that nic base "loses" about 1% nicotine per year in the freezer.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Both PG and VG are hygroscopic, which means they will adsorb some moisture from the air when opened, and they may oxidize a bit if left exposed to the atmosphere.

If stored in a sealed container in a cool, dry area away from sunlight, I wouldn't worry about it for a few years unless you're buying it in 55 gallon drums.

As to nicotine, I am too lazy to search, but someone over in the DIY forum found that nic base "loses" about 1% nicotine per year in the freezer.

PG and VG do not oxidize unless you introduce Nicotine into it. PG/VG can last 10 or more years if refrigerated. As PG/VG have antibacterial properties and act like a preseritive they don't even have a chance of bacterial contamination. It's the Nicotine that oxidizes.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
PG and VG do not oxidize unless you introduce Nicotine into it. PG/VG can last 10 or more years if refrigerated. As PG/VG have antibacterial properties and act like a preseritive they don't even have a chance of bacterial contamination. It's the Nicotine that oxidizes.

The process is slow, but both PG and VG can oxidize.

Last edited:

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
I'm thinking anything vegetable-based like VG will eventually degrade. I just tossed some VG that was about 5 years old, looked fine, crystal clear, smelled fine, but tastewise was very different in a not good way. It completely dominated the flavorings leaving a very strong VG over/aftertaste and was just plain unpleasant to vape straight out as 'unflavored'. Difference between it and fresh VG was night and day. ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread