Virginia smoking ban dec. 1 !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redrhino

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NY,CA,FL
I have to disagree, it is not the governments place to tell restaurant owners what they can or cannot due in regards to smoking. Smoking is legal, so it should be up to the restaurant or bar owner as to whether or not they want to be a non-smoking establishment. I personally do not like to smell smoke while I'm eating, but that is why I sit in the non-smoking section. This is about the rights of the restaurant owner, not about smokers' rights as far as I'm concerned. I am sick and tired of Government trying to "Help" protect us from ourselves.

I AGREE AGREE AGREE Whats next????? Someone somewhere is going to complain about E cigs...And it is not a matter of will it ever happen...BUT when and where is it going to happen....And honestly speaking That is what scares me the most.....

nikosm

Nov 23, 2009
Alexandria, Va
Hi All, I'm new here and a friend of storyspinr. I have been vaping since June, though I continue to smoke regular cigs too ( but much less since I got my e-cig) in protest of the out of control nannyism. I'm not sure how the smoking ban here in Virginia will apply to e-cigs. I went out with a friend to a bar in DC a coupe of months ago and was vaping for a while - there were other people there and nobody seemed to notice or care until one of the employees told me I had to stop because the DC health department had not yet ruled on the legality of e-cigs. Given the current climate, it doesn't take Einstein to figure out that e-cigs will soon be banned too. In fact, I noticed that on Delta Airlines, they now say that they are "tobacco free" and that in addition to smoking, e-cigs and smokeless tobacco are also forbidden on their flights.

Needless to say, I have vaped away in the bathroom on several Delta flights, as well as in many smoke free bars and restaurants and where I work. One thing I love about e-cigs is the thrill I get from vaping where I would probably be shot if someone smelled me light up a real cigarette.

The antismokers are entering the "final solution" phase of their crusade. We can see it with the insane taxes, outdoor bans, the invention of third hand smoke, and other BS legislation to "protect the children" The e-cig makes a mockery of all this and is much more enjoyable than their useless big pharma smoking cessation crap - thats why they are out to get it and thats why we must fight back and not just where e-cigs are concerned but against any and all anti-smoking laws.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
With the election of Republicans for Governor, Lt. Gov. and Attorney General, all of whom either spoke out against or voted against the smoking ban, plus the GOP control of the House of Delegates, I think it unlikely the ban will be extended over the next four years. I'm hoping there will be lawsuits against it as being unConstitutional since it favors large chains over small mom and pop restaurants without the space or money for smoking rooms; the smaller restaurants often have a very large smoking clientele and the ban could put them out of business.

The whole secondhand smoke thing is, as one doctor stated, "one of the greatest frauds ever perpetrated on the American public". As vapers are learning, bans were never about a health risk, but part of a concerted effort to drive smokers from society. That's why they are also against PVs - they look like smoking and that is enough to demand they be banned. OldLady is exactly right - the attack on smokers is incremental and the silent acceptance by too many smokers has encouraged the anti-smoker gangs to demand more and more "smokefree" territory. Also bear in mind those groups get hundreds of thousands of dollars annually from Big Pharma, which stands to make millions from their nicotine replacement products if people are forced to quit or reduce their smoking.

If you decide to meet in Fredericksburg, let me know. I live there. I have some ideas on PVs in Virginia, but am waiting to see how the FDA/Smoking Everywhere court case is resolved. I think we might get a friendly reception in Richmond if we play our cards right, but I believe much depends upon how the PV is eventually classified by a court.

Any lawsuits will just extend the smoking ban further, by getting rid of the exception. I was hoping McDonnel would ask the legislature to suspend the ban, or overrule it, but I doubt that will happen. However I doubt the ban would have ever passed in the first place without the exception for separately ventilated areas.

Hoping this creates smoker clubs like they have in germany. i don't like smoking around nonsmokers anyways, and ecigarettes are just not the same. I only smoke when I drink. And i want a smoke when I drink.

I'm sick and tired of control freak liberals telling people what to do. Red meat is bad for you. Ban it. Fried foods are bad, ban it. Booze is bad fo ryou, ban it... They simply dislike smoking. The exhaust from cars is much more damaged to people's health than second hand smoke could ever be, yet they turn a blind eye, because they love cars, and hate smokers. Imagine any other group being treated like smokers are. The funniest thing, about how stupid liberals are, is when , like in places like Ontario, or San Francisco, they work to legalize pot, and allow you to smoke pot indoors, but not cigarettes. These idiots apparently are not aware that it's the tar that causes cancer, not nicotine. Burn anything and you create tar. Damn liberals.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
Hi All, I'm new here and a friend of storyspinr. I have been vaping since June, though I continue to smoke regular cigs too ( but much less since I got my e-cig) in protest of the out of control nannyism. I'm not sure how the smoking ban here in Virginia will apply to e-cigs. I went out with a friend to a bar in DC a coupe of months ago and was vaping for a while - there were other people there and nobody seemed to notice or care until one of the employees told me I had to stop because the DC health department had not yet ruled on the legality of e-cigs. Given the current climate, it doesn't take Einstein to figure out that e-cigs will soon be banned too. In fact, I noticed that on Delta Airlines, they now say that they are "tobacco free" and that in addition to smoking, e-cigs and smokeless tobacco are also forbidden on their flights.

Needless to say, I have vaped away in the bathroom on several Delta flights, as well as in many smoke free bars and restaurants and where I work. One thing I love about e-cigs is the thrill I get from vaping where I would probably be shot if someone smelled me light up a real cigarette.

The antismokers are entering the "final solution" phase of their crusade. We can see it with the insane taxes, outdoor bans, the invention of third hand smoke, and other BS legislation to "protect the children" The e-cig makes a mockery of all this and is much more enjoyable than their useless big pharma smoking cessation crap - thats why they are out to get it and thats why we must fight back and not just where e-cigs are concerned but against any and all anti-smoking laws.

Americans lack the balls that the Germans have. Smoking is banned, and the germans still just say FU, and just make everything into a smokers club... For being "health freaks" americans are sure Obese.

Alexandria was trying to ban s moking a year or two ago. There's just something about smoke free bars. They lack character. If if I didn't smoke, i would prefer the smell of smoke to the smell of bathroom or whatever else.. I'm certainly not going to be going to any place that doesn't allow smoking and fortunately I live right by Summers. Just hoping and praying that some Irish bar will modify itself to become compliant.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
I AGREE AGREE AGREE Whats next????? Someone somewhere is going to complain about E cigs...And it is not a matter of will it ever happen...BUT when and where is it going to happen....And honestly speaking That is what scares me the most.....

They already have. The washingtonpost has been having letters tot he editor and editorials about them. They want the FDA to regulate and ban them becaues they are "made in china"...

You seriously want to know what would preserve what little are left of smokers right? Rename smoking to "homosexual activity" and they will be afraid to do anything. Libs seems to have no problem discriminating against things they don't like..

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
In all honesty, given they have steam from dishwashers, and from food, and people wearing cologne, any ban on ecigarettes would have to be purely out of malice for the people who use them. That's never a permissible purpose for a statute, but all they need is any possible rational basis for it.. I honestly cannot think of one other than preventing people from potentially dropping them?

nikosm

Nov 23, 2009
Alexandria, Va
" If if I didn't smoke, i would prefer the smell of smoke to the smell of bathroom or whatever else.. I'm certainly not going to be going to any place that doesn't allow smoking and fortunately I live right by Summers. Just hoping and praying that some Irish bar will modify itself to become compliant."

My ex-smoker wife actually said the same thing - that smoke-free bars now smell like puke, farts, and disinfectant, whereas nobody noticed such things in the good ole days.

We could learn a lot from the Greeks too - I was just there and although they have technically had a smoking ban since July it is "voluntary". I think bigger places have to provide a separate room but smaller ones are exempt, or are ignoring it. If they ever tried to impose a total ban there, whoever signed it into law would probably be driven into exile fearing for his life.

As far as Virginia goes, I have been told that Landini's in Alexandria will have a separate room but I am not sure about any other place, here in the San Francisco of Virginia. I think Galaxy Hut in Clarendon will probably try to accommodate us since the owner is very much anti-ban and a really nice guy. He even put a "Yes smoking" sign in their window.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
" If if I didn't smoke, i would prefer the smell of smoke to the smell of bathroom or whatever else.. I'm certainly not going to be going to any place that doesn't allow smoking and fortunately I live right by Summers. Just hoping and praying that some Irish bar will modify itself to become compliant."

My ex-smoker wife actually said the same thing - that smoke-free bars now smell like puke, farts, and disinfectant, whereas nobody noticed such things in the good ole days.

We could learn a lot from the Greeks too - I was just there and although they have technically had a smoking ban since July it is "voluntary". I think bigger places have to provide a separate room but smaller ones are exempt, or are ignoring it. If they ever tried to impose a total ban there, whoever signed it into law would probably be driven into exile fearing for his life.

As far as Virginia goes, I have been told that Landini's in Alexandria will have a separate room but I am not sure about any other place, here in the San Francisco of Virginia. I think Galaxy Hut in Clarendon will probably try to accommodate us since the owner is very much anti-ban and a really nice guy. He even put a "Yes smoking" sign in their window.

The real problem with VA is that VA doesn't allow "bars". They all have to be restaurants as well. In PA, there are places that just serve booze, no food (maybe hotdogs) and they are not covered by the ban. Though NY has the same t ype of places, but smoking is banned (though places I went to violated the ban)..

Galaxy hut is too small to have a separate room. What they might do is for that back area of it, get umbrellas and heaters, but you're still going to have to smoke outside there.

I hear that Whitlows will have a smoking room. I know for a fact that Summers does. I just hope they realize it and actually start using it. The smoking room is currently usually closed, and they just do the nonsmoking bar.

I would have thought that Baileys in Ballston Mall would survive the ban, given it's massive and has multiple rooms, but I hear they just don't want to allow smoking, so that place would have been a candidate for allowing smoking.

So long to bar food for me. Never gonna eat that stuff again... No more guinness. Well, I'm going to lose some weight as a result of this..

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
Oh, I know of 3 places (1 personally, 2 from advice) in DC where you can smoke.

(1) Ozio. I've been there, but it's expensive and snobby

(2) Aroma in Cleveland park. I hear you can smoke here.

(3) Kellys Backroom. It's a cigar bar...

God, please let an irish bar in Arlington get a smoking room. PLEASE.... Come on Four Courts....

I noticed something, given how liberal this area is, I think most bar owners are looking forward to this. That Buffalo D's place in Ballston closed this summer and was being renevated and reopened as Touchdowns. I figured because they had a separate room area. and were expanding the bar, they might put in a partition and ventilation. Nope, they didn't, and had a perfect chance to as well. The prior place was even a hookah bar. Now that place is going to be nonsmoking. damn.

nikosm

Nov 23, 2009
Alexandria, Va
The problem Steve is that the bigger places that could accommodate and afford to build a separate smoking room are usually chains that have already gone smoke-free, or will once the ban goes into effect. Its the small indys like Galxy Hut, the majority of whose patrons smoke, that will get screwed. The law clearly favors the bigger places, so there should be a lawsuit, but it will be too much trouble for them and probably just result in a total ban.

Boston now doesn't even allow smoking on outdoor patios of bars/restaurants - so that will be the next step in DC I'm sure. Thank God for the Dillon Rule in Virginia, or Alexandria would have joined them too by now.

I agree with you that it is hypocrisy at its worst for the more "progressive" places to embrace pot while throwing a hissy fit over tobacco. Maybe we should roll our own and tell them that we're smoking joints from now on...

Keep me posted if you find any other places that will have separate smoking rooms. I don't go out much anymore, being a happily married man, but I would like to know I have the option to go out and have a beer and a smoke somewhere should I so desire.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
America has let the government "take care" of so much that they can literally do anything they want. They did start out as public servants. Now they are just self-serving.

What ever happened to the right of the establishment to decide whether they want to become smoke-free or not? Why are establishments allowing the government to dictate how they can run their business related to the use of a legal product?

I can understand non-smokers not wanting to smell tobacco smoke, but they can also choose to go to a non smoking establishment, can't they?

We are handing our rights over to the gov in a gift wrapped box. And the government is more than happy to have them.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
As long as people do not revolt, the laws will become more and more restrictive. The only places where bans were overturned were the Netherlands and Bulgaria. It will also probably happen in Greece and maybe Turkey. That's because people stood against the bans.

Americans in general are very anti smoking. In europe, lots m ore people smoke. Where i live in VA, is very liberal, so even though many places were already nonsmoking, the ban is viewed very favorable. I'm sure outside of Nova, it's not as popular, but studies show that 80% of people support it. I personally don't want to smoke in front on non smokers, I have always wanted smokers only bars, like they have in Germany. Problem is taht the control freaks in government simply don't like smoking (which is rational, as it's deadly for the smoker) but then why don't they ban red meat and fried foods in bars, and barcode people so that they can only get 3 drinks per day maximum, given any m ore than moderation is bad for you?

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
Well hopefully people will revolt against gov and gov having too much power. Oh, wait that's the Tea Party, Glenn Beck followers, and Sarah Palin . Maybe Tea Parties are the way to go for us.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that business owners were not allowed to decide for themselves whether they would be smoking or non smoking. The gov surely has too much power.

“From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage

Last edited:

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Americans in general are very anti smoking. In europe, lots m ore people smoke. Where i live in VA, is very liberal, so even though many places were already nonsmoking, the ban is viewed very favorable. I'm sure outside of Nova, it's not as popular, but studies show that 80% of people support it. I personally don't want to smoke in front on non smokers, I have always wanted smokers only bars, like they have in Germany. Problem is taht the control freaks in government simply don't like smoking (which is rational, as it's deadly for the smoker) but then why don't they ban red meat and fried foods in bars, and barcode people so that they can only get 3 drinks per day maximum, given any m ore than moderation is bad for you?

Here's my problem with those studies like the one you mention. Virtually, ALL of them are written, paid for, administered by, and interpreted by anti smoking groups. It is doubtful that there is a chance that the studies accurately portray any real attitude toward smoking and smoking bans. Otherwise, why is it that the smoking rates actually rise after smoking bans as they did in the UK, in Ireland (4 % increase) and even recently in the US.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
Only a couple days left until smoking is banned here where I live.. .......n liberals.

The funniest thing about these hypocrites and their smoking bans, in places like California, is that you have to go outside to smoke a cigarette, but in the medical maijuana "clinics" you can smoke indoors. Tar is tar, but the damned control freak liberals make their rules out of malice for particular groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread