Virginia smoking ban dec. 1 !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
Here's my problem with those studies like the one you mention. Virtually, ALL of them are written, paid for, administered by, and interpreted by anti smoking groups. It is doubtful that there is a chance that the studies accurately portray any real attitude toward smoking and smoking bans. Otherwise, why is it that the smoking rates actually rise after smoking bans as they did in the UK, in Ireland (4 % increase) and even recently in the US.

Most people you see here say they look forward to the ban, because they don't like smelling like ashtrays. I believe the polls about it, but I just don't see why they don't allow smokers to have smokers bars. Why punish an entire group because you don't like their behavior?

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
If the Virginia Supreme Court would throw out the ban based on it creating an "unlevel playing field" in favor of large chains while forcing smaller restaurants out of business, it would have to go back to the General Assembly; no ban would be in force until the General Assembly rewrote the ban. With McDonnell in the Governor's office, my guess is he would let it die a natural death.

When we all get together here in Fredericksburg in March (unless we "organize" sooner), I have some ideas on e cigs. However, I am not going to put them in writing on this forum since the antis troll these sites.

Every chain down here (Fred'burg) we have patronized will be going totally smokefree. Cracker Barrel had a separate ventilation system put into their smoking area, but will not be turning it into a separate room. They will, of course, continue to spread carcinogens through their open fireplace during the winter. Lone Star steak house had considered turning a separate meeting room into a smoking room, but decided against it. So far, I have not found one restaurant in the Fred'burg area that will have a smoking room. If that is the case, we have eaten at our last sit-down restaurant. I will not eat in smokefree establishments. They need my business more than I need theirs.

It is my opinion the ban was passed only because the GOP in the House panicked after the last election, when the Dems made advances. The GOP Speaker made a backroom deal with the Dem Governor, Kaine. Interestingly, two weeks after the Speaker agreed to the ban, his Dem opponent inexplicably dropped out of the race, leaving him a clear shot at re-election.

Nick knows how much information we have on the fraud of secondhand smoke, how hard we tried to convince the politicians it was all a lie...to no avail when it came to their own political careers. Freedom has a price in Virginia and it's called "re-election".

Yes, I'm angry. And ready to fight back.

carolinadewitte

Nov 29, 2009
AZ
What was 'funny', is that in 2002 I moved to AZ from WA. A smoking ban had been in effect there for years. I was so used to it, that I never thought that it might not be the same in AZ. Imagine my surprise when last year AZ 'finally' instituted a smoking ban!! I had no idea that before that I could have smoked nearly anywhere, but always took it outside, as I had been used to doing in WA. (Of course, when they instituted the smoking ban in WA I simply stopped going to bars, tavs, etc. I still went out to eat, as I could deal with that, and most restos had an outdoor area with ashtrays, seating, etc. Oh well, live and learn. I just hope I'm not too late to get some e cigs!!

conrad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2009
Warrenton,VA,USA
With the election of Republicans for Governor, Lt. Gov. and Attorney General, all of whom either spoke out against or voted against the smoking ban, plus the GOP control of the House of Delegates, I think it unlikely the ban will be extended over the next four years. I'm hoping there will be lawsuits against it as being unConstitutional since it favors large chains over small mom and pop restaurants without the space or money for smoking rooms; the smaller restaurants often have a very large smoking clientele and the ban could put them out of business.

The whole secondhand smoke thing is, as one doctor stated, "one of the greatest frauds ever perpetrated on the American public". As vapers are learning, bans were never about a health risk, but part of a concerted effort to drive smokers from society. That's why they are also against PVs - they look like smoking and that is enough to demand they be banned. OldLady is exactly right - the attack on smokers is incremental and the silent acceptance by too many smokers has encouraged the anti-smoker gangs to demand more and more "smokefree" territory. Also bear in mind those groups get hundreds of thousands of dollars annually from Big Pharma, which stands to make millions from their nicotine replacement products if people are forced to quit or reduce their smoking.

If you decide to meet in Fredericksburg, let me know. I live there. I have some ideas on PVs in Virginia, but am waiting to see how the FDA/Smoking Everywhere court case is resolved. I think we might get a friendly reception in Richmond if we play our cards right, but I believe much depends upon how the PV is eventually classified by a court.
I'm right down the street RT17 & RT29

Guineahill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
King George Virginia USA
I live in King George and go to Fredericksburg almost daily.

Bailey's in the Central Park area has been installing doors and a separate ventilation system. The smoking areas and non-smoking areas will be the same as they were before the ban... just with more doors to go through.

It is the only place I know that is going to still have smoking indoors. I wonder how much their business will increase?

;-)

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
Conrad, are you aware of the vapers meeting being planned in Fred'burg for the weekend of March 13th? It sounds like it might be a fun get together.

Vaperhead, I've heard quite a few radio ads for e cigs. There apparently is no prohibition on advertising at this point, which is great since it helps get the word out on e cigs to the general public. I'm actually getting some people asking "Is that one of those electronic cigarettes", rather than the blank stares I usually get.

Guineahill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
King George Virginia USA
Storyspinr - Whoo! Two places in town! I hope more will appear. I look forward to the March meeting. It will be great to see and meet other vapers. :)

cassavetes - I'm still amazed that Virginia (of all places!) passed this thing. We are a tobacco state after all. I find it amusing that the restaurants attached to tobacco manufacturing facilities are exempt!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread