Virginia smoking ban dec. 1 !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
Private clubs are exempt from the ban (mostly because no politician wanted to tell members of the VFW they couldn't smoke in their own club).

Channel 6 in Richmond had a brief story on the ban tonight. While the police will be charged with enforcing the $25 fine, apparently nobody has figured out how they are supposed to do so. They only give out criminal citations, so have no paperwork for issuing a citation for violating the ban.

Also, it is my understanding one restaurant (that I know of so far) is defying the ban and leaving out the ashtrays. Another is constructing an outdoor patio...for the NONsmokers; inside will be reserved for the smokers.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I don't think this went over to well in other states. Virginia will not repeat other no smoking states right off the bat just because it is the phillip morris capitol. But who knows what the future holds for bars like the statford grill and caddy's. Caddy's "may" get away with making non-smokers go outside, but it should be the other way around for many reasons. The witch hunt is for smokers, to kick them outside, and Caddy's straight up said screw you, you go outside... I have to be in the smoky bar to order drinks and food and use the bathroom?... I don't see how it will fly. The law is already in effect. But if it is only the "smoker" who gets the 25 dollar fine, and not the club, I don't see any bar owner giving two hoots about it.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
I don't think this went over to well in other states. Virginia will not repeat other no smoking states right off the bat just because it is the phillip morris capitol. But who knows what the future holds for bars like the statford grill and caddy's. Caddy's "may" get away with making non-smokers go outside, but it should be the other way around for many reasons. The witch hunt is for smokers, to kick them outside, and Caddy's straight up said screw you, you go outside... I have to be in the smoky bar to order drinks and food and use the bathroom?... I don't see how it will fly. The law is already in effect. But if it is only the "smoker" who gets the 25 dollar fine, and not the club, I don't see any bar owner giving two hoots about it.

where is caddys?

KitKit

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Hampton Roads
Hi All, Let me tell you how my first day out in public vaping went (after the smoking ban).!I didn't go to my normal watering hole yesterday because I didn't want to hear it! Today I walked in and all I hear is Pam we have been waiting for you. So I took a drag and all is well -the owner said no problems- ( she has order a PV) I'm just waiting for the "other shoe" to drop. You should have seen some of the looks I got!!! My friends know I vape but the "non regulars" could spit fire!!! I have turned a few fellow smokers on to the PVs and another one was their tonight- we were NOT one of the best liked people in the bar.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
wow. richmond. gee, a 3 hour commute each way aint bad. I'm sure they have bars with an an exemption in your area. I have one within walking distance. My problem is that they don't serve guinness there. But I am fortunate to have a legal smoking place...

This is around Arlington Courthouse, right? Which bar?

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
Based on my information, Caddy's isn't the one with the outdoor patio; that's a different restaurant/bar. From what I've seen, the patio will be completely enclosed and, I would assume, heated. In other words, the nonsmokers will probably be a lot more comfortable in their "outside patio" than smokers will ever be allowed when they have to go outside.

Also, a $25 fine each is issued to both the business owner and the smoker. Except they haven't figured out yet how they are going to write the summons 'cause nobody planned for that little detail.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I saw it on the news again tonight. Caddy's and Mulligans. Mulligans has a totally seperate enclosed area for each smokers and non smokers. Caddys is still allowing people to smoke inside the bar and sending non smokers on to the outside patio which is not enclosed yet. The owner said on the news that 25 dollars is nothing they can come in every day, If what you say is true, which i believe it is, she is going to have a bad day if they come in there and hit her with 30 or so citations at once.

mergryphon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
where? In Nova, they will enforce it because the area is liberal.

Can we quit with the generalizations and liberal bashing already? I'm a raving liberal, as are most of my friends, smokers and non, none are in favor of bans.

Rave at the anti-smoking lobby, not all of which are liberals either. This is a blood red state, it didn't pass without conservative support.

oldlady

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Charleston, SC
Based on the letter of the law, Caddy's cannot be fined. It is providing separate, ventilated rooms for smokers (inside) and non-smokers (outside). Nobody said the non-smokers won't be allowed in the smoking room. Smokers are generally very welcoming, easy going people. Its the anti-smoking nazis that created the problem in the first place.

BTW, to those who object, someone should explain a few things. First, if it wasn't for tobacco nobody--including Caddy's--would be here. The settlers were planning to go home and announce "there is no gold" about the time John Rolf planted some Spanish tobacco seeds in good ole Virginia red clay--our nation was born.

Second, according to Virginia history, about a hundred years later, the King of England started telling people what they should do (and the taxes they could pay while they were at it) and a Virginian, Patrick Henry, popped up and said "Give me liberty or give me death" -- our country was born.

Third, most of those anti-smoke/vape activists are not from Virginia! If they can't stand the smoke they should get the heck out of the . . .

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Based on the letter of the law, Caddy's cannot be fined. It is providing separate, ventilated rooms for smokers (inside) and non-smokers (outside). Nobody said the non-smokers won't be allowed in the smoking room. Smokers are generally very welcoming, easy going people. Its the anti-smoking nazis that created the problem in the first place.

BTW, to those who object, someone should explain a few things. First, if it wasn't for tobacco nobody--including Caddy's--would be here. The settlers were planning to go home and announce "there is no gold" about the time John Rolf planted some Spanish tobacco seeds in good ole Virginia red clay--our nation was born.

Second, according to Virginia history, about a hundred years later, the King of England started telling people what they should do (and the taxes they could pay while they were at it) and a Virginian, Patrick Henry, popped up and said "Give me liberty or give me death" -- our country was born.

Third, most of those anti-smoke/vape activists are not from Virginia! If they can't stand the smoke they should get the heck out of the . . .

My feelings exactly.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
Can we quit with the generalizations and liberal bashing already? I'm a raving liberal, as are most of my friends, smokers and non, none are in favor of bans.

Rave at the anti-smoking lobby, not all of which are liberals either. This is a blood red state, it didn't pass without conservative support.

Check out monday's washington post editorial on the VA ban and say to me with a straight face what you just said. The conservative "support" was so there was no outright complete total ban, which the liberals want, and are pulling for (see the editorial). The new governor, opposed the ban. VA is not a blood red state because many liberals have moved into northern virginia. It's the most populous part of the state.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
I'm not for or against a smoking ban. I could care less. It is however, not fair for bars who can't provide seperate rooms. How long was the ban in Oregon before they did away with it?

The problem, is that if the law gets challenged, what will happen is they will just get rid of the exception, so that large bars don't have an advantage, they won't strike down the ban, so we will lose any smoking options if that happens.

If I were a rich person, I would donate a lot of money to establish a fund to help smaller bars make modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread