Volcano Inferno e-cig - good choice for newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
My local smoke shop only carries low-quality e-cigs (Trio 51, etc) so much as I'd like to give him the business it looks like I'll be ordering online. So far my only e-cig experience is with disposables which work fine as a temporary substitute, but I've been getting so much information on this forum I know I'll be happier with a better product! I'm a hard-core smoker and don't think I'll really be satisfied without serious TH and plenty of options.

The Volcano Inferno appeals to me the most, based on reviews (here and elsewhere), price and options.
The INFERNO Kit Electronic Cigarettes | ECig Atomizers

Honestly I've read so many reviews and recommendations my head is spinning, but I keep coming back to this one. The Provaris (sp?) looks great but $200 isn't in the budget right now as I just paid my property taxes, registered two vehicles and licensed three dogs in the last couple of weeks. >.< :blink:

I know everyone has their favourites and this isn't one that I see recommended often here, but whaddy'all think?

Zer0Kewl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Delaware
I had nothing but problems with Volcano

2 DOA chargers, both batteries died from their own prefilled cartos leaking.

3 out of 10 cartos having threading issues and being too small to screw onto the battery.

I would never recomend them to anyone.

Plus, it takes forever to get the shipment from Hawaii

The only thing I would consider from them is the lavatube.

The inferno is just a branded Ego from what I have seen, so why not just get a genuine joye ego set somewhere?

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
The inferno is just a rebranded eGo. If you want an eGo you can def get it cheaper elsewhere.

I recommend checking out the Epower or kGo instead of the eGo though. The Epower and kGo are both 3.7V PVs, while the eGo is only 3.3-3.4V. 3.7V PVs provide alittle more oomph compared to the eGo, and more importantly they handle the lower resistance attys/cartos a lot better. Both the Epower and kGo would be better than the inferno, and their considerably cheaper as well. The inferno costs $75, which is def overpriced, while you can get an Epower or kGo kit for about $45.

I have an Epower and love it. The main difference between the Epower and kGo/eGo is that the Epower uses non-proprietary batteries, which are removable. Epower batteries cost $4-5 compared to eGo/kGo/riva batteries that cost $14-20. Epower batts are 1050mah and I get on avg a day to a day and a half on one battery. Plus it's very easy to carry a spare battery bc their small. Also everything is replaceable on the Epower so it's cheaper to maintain. With the eGo/kGo, the tube, battery, and switch are all one unit, so if something fails or needs to be replaced, you have no choice but to replace the whole unit Everytime. With the Epower, everything is seperate and can be bought individually. If a switch fails, you can buy just a switch, if a battery needs to be replaced, you can buy just the battery and continue using your existing tube and switch, etc.
The kGo is also a nice PV, even though it uses proprietary batteries. The batteries are 1100mah, so they last a long time as well and most people can get a full day from one battery.
I think you'd be happy with either one honestly, bc they both give a great vape and have very good battery life. They would both def be better than an inferno, AND are cheaper as well.
If you do get an Epower or kGo, I recommend trying the Ressurector cartos. They are awesome and are all I use on my Epower. They are designed for 3.7V pVs and work great on the Epower and kGo. They are 1.7ohm so they give a nice warm vape, and they hold about 2ml of juice so they last a pretty long time between refills. Crystal clear vaping sells them for a good price with free shipping, and if you buy a 15-pack you get a free drip tip.
CCV also sells the Epower and that's where I got mine. They sell it for $57, which is alittle more than some other places, but you get about $25 in free stuff so it's actually a really good deal. You get a free 5-pack of Ressurector cartos, a free 30ml juice of our choice, and free shipping. And don't forget to put in "ecf5off" for 5% off the order.

Goodluck!

Last edited:

comptechltd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2011
So. IL (St. Louis)
I started with the Volcano Inferno and It for me was a very good unit. But I do agree with mynameisrob I think its overpriced. I was probably more confused than you when I started. Volcano seemed to give me some semblance of order. Mine was a good quality unit that I still use occasionally. Its just that now I know there are better out there. I would highly recommend a kgo/ego/whatever style with a usb passthrough built into the battery (or as a second battery). That way in the car or at the computer you can keep it charged. Look at it this way.......you are going to waste some money initially. No matter what you buy you are going to see or find the next best greatest cheaper thing out there. Pick a point and just DO IT. I know $100 is a lot for most people but once you get your sea legs it will be ok. (Look at my sig. I have bought all that since last October in addition to carto's, Ce2's, tanks etc.) but now I'm really starting to get an idea of what works and what I like. I wish I would have bought the ProVari to begin with. Would have saved me a lot of hassle because thats where most people wind up (not all) but on the other hand I've learned a lot along the way. Budget yourself say $100 dollars to start with. Consider it an investment. Then go from there. Remember that once you buy the hardware, it starts all over with the juices.....trying them until you find what you like. Is it a hassle.....can be....but again its an investment in YOU.

Steve

comptechltd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2011
So. IL (St. Louis)
Also FWIW...I was looking the other day at discountvapors website and they have a variable voltage ego style passthrough (with battery) for $29. There is no kit or anything and I don't know the quality but to me it would give you the best of both worlds. An ego style with variable voltage. Seems like a good starting point.

Steve

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

k3rm1t

Aug 3, 2011
A, A
I too am a newbie who has been overwhelmed by the countless choices. After searching this forum for 2 months I also kept coming back to the Inferno. I had read about the re-branded issues, but everytime I would research the egos or Rivas I kept thinking they look so generic. (I know better now)
I ordered the Inferno about a month ago and I couldn't be happier with it. I opted for the tank/drip package. I never in a million years would have thought I would prefer dripping, but I do!
I now know there are cheaper ways to go for similar units, but I don't think you can go terribly wrong with Volcano even if you do pay a few bucks more.
By-the-way, I live in NC and the shipping from HI took 2 days for 7 bucks and change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread