Voopoo Drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I’m finding the TC functionality to be a little conservative for my taste. By that I mean it’s very quick to back off when it gets close to the target temp. I find a more aggressive TC ramp up to be more to my liking as I can get with a dna and Arctic Fox firmware. The VooPoo reminds me of the performance of the Vo-Tech Dagger in TC. Effective, but on the calm side.

On the plus side, it is smooth as silk. Not a pulse or roller coaster whatsoever in TC.

It does shine in TC with a notch coil, which can be a bear to get to vape properly in TC. At the moment I’m running a single 316 notch coil (iJoy brand) in an Augvape Merlin and it’s performing like a champ (0.16 ohms, 80w, 490F). Absolutely delightful. The conservative approach does have the advantage with coils such as this.

Overall, I’m glad I got one. I love the solid feel, am OK with the overall look, and very pleased with performance in wattage mode. I wish it used offsets rather than discrete values for the wattage curve function, but the curve setup is not too troublesome on the device. I also appreciate the quick firing (although I do dislike that when I’m playing with the menu since it will fire the atty no matter how quickly I hit the fire button 3x to open/navigate the menu).

If only the name was not VooPoo.....
Have you gone into settings and increased the boost for tc?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
@happy valley I’ve played around with them a bit, both on the mod (wattage curve) and using the software (wattage and temp). I’m impressed with the ease of use of setting the curves on the software – just drag to what you want. The smoothing option is also an unexpected treat. While it has a ways to go to be as useful as a similar feature in Arctic Fox, it’s an A+ for effort for VooPoo’s initial release. I’m very much looking forward to see what they release next.

As an off-topic aside, setting curves is what touch screen mods should be striving to do. It would be fantastic to bring up a graph on a touch screen like you get with the Voopoo software, and be able to adjust it on the fly. I have no idea if the memory and processing power required to accomplish that is feasible to incorporate at a reasonable price, but it would be far, far more useful than features such as a MP3 player and a step counter (as in the Joyetech Ocular).

@USMCotaku Not sure if you’re referring to the temp curves or the wattage setting when you’re referring to “boost,” but I’ve done both. The 80w limit may be contributing to its conservative TC approach in SS. However, I also have experienced a conservative TC using Ni, and I rarely go above a 40w setting with Ni on other mods that have wattage adjustability in TC. Even when maxed at 80w and set to 550 degrees, Ni performance on the VooPoo is very mild. I normally run Ni at 430 to 460 on other mods and it’s quite warm.

Reactions: happy valley

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As an off-topic aside, setting curves is what touch screen mods should be striving to do. It would be fantastic to bring up a graph on a touch screen like you get with the Voopoo software, and be able to adjust it on the fly. I have no idea if the memory and processing power required to accomplish that is feasible to incorporate at a reasonable price, but it would be far, far more useful than features such as a MP3 player and a step counter (as in the Joyetech Ocular).

The mp3 player, headphone jack, and step counter cost them an extra $0.075, while your graph thingy would be at least $0.12. And let's face it, everyone needs another mp3 player, right?:facepalm:

Reactions: hazozita

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
After a week of using this device I'm very pleased. Matter of fact I haven't wanted to put it down. It's extremely fast firing and on point in watts mode. It took a while, for me, to gain familiarity with the firmware but doing so lent confidence in experimenting and ascribing various memory presets for TC which I'm quite satisfied with. It's a sturdy, solid, well built box which I think from the look and feel of it, will serve a goodly long while. Gets a definite thumbs up.

Last edited:
Reactions: madstabber

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Seems like everyone seems relatively happy with their drag box. I'm thinking of getting one, I see myvaporstore has them in stock, but the only thing holding me back is I only have mac so no upgrading. I suppose I could use a friends but it's inconvenient. Has anyone heard if voopoo is going to make them mac compatible in the future?

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Has anyone got SS316 to fire correctly on this mod? Am able to use it in wattage mode but not in TC mode. Basically I barely get any vape out of it in TC.

Have you tried raising the SS coefficient in 'Parameters' with the firmware program? Default was at 1300 and I raised it to 1600 and it does SS quite well for me. I vape right around +/- 400º

ETA:
Also, with a bit more experimenting with the firmware, I just added (check Select) TCR to the device and raised it from the default of 1000 by trial and error a bit at a time to 1800, seemed about right for now with SS316.

Last edited:
Reactions: mav2000

mav2000

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Have you tried raising the SS coefficient in 'Parameters' with the firmware program? Default was at 1300 and I raised it to 1600 and it does SS quite well for me. I vape right around +/- 400º

ETA:
Also, with a bit more experimenting with the firmware, I just added (check Select) TCR to the device and raised it from the default of 1000 by trial and error a bit at a time to 1800, seemed about right for now with SS316.
Thanks a lot will try this out.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Looks nice -- think they are calling it the Alpha One. Wish it had a bit more curve to it to make it more comfortable in hand.

Also saw that they are releasing a single battery mod with the Gene chip. 80w. Calling it the Newbie: http://en.voopootech.com/product/voopoo-newbie/

newbie.jpg

Reactions: ShowerHead

freemanof

May 26, 2017
Hello guys.

I've been using this box mod for about 3 weeks and I have a question.

My first box mod is Wismec RX200. And I always put the mod, atty, and the battery in my bag with the mod always turned off. And I always double check if it's off before I go. With RX200, I have no problem with burned wick.

But with this VooPoo Drag, I had about three times that the mod itself burned the wick. The first two maybe because that I didn't completely turning it off. But the last one just happened this time that I got my wick burned BUT with my device still saying it's off.

Is it possible that it's clicked 5 times for turning it on and firing it inside my bag and turning it off again by itself? That was just the mod and a bottle of e-juice inside my bag. What a coincidence, right ?

So I decided to try myself if there any button can fire the mod while it's off by clicking random button. But, nothing happened. It's just stay off.

Is it just because the clicky button ? Have someone had this happened too?

If this is an issue of the mod itself, what should I do for fixing it?

From now on I just have to put my mod and atty separately for avoiding this. It was my bad that I should have separate the atty from the mod every time I put them in my bag.

Any reply would be appreciated :)

Sorry for my bad English. It's not my first language :)

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Side note...wattage is capped at 80 watts in TC mode, so build your coils accordingly

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

80w max in TC is a game killer for me. Reminds me of the Limitless Lux.
Anyway, the specs indicate it's a parallel 18650 battery config (7.5v output max). No balanced charging needed if it is parallel. If it's a series battery config with balanced charging then why only 7.5v output?
Either way, with parallel or series batts you're only going to realize the full rated 157W output with coils < .36 ohms.
Parameters
Size: 90 x 54 x 24mm
Working Voltage: 6.4-8.5V
Working Current:1-40A
Output Voltage Range:0-7.5V
Resistance range: 0.05-3.0 (VW); 0.05-1.5 (TC)
Output Power: 5-157W
Temperature Range:200-600F/100-315C

Last edited:
Reactions: ShowerHead

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Hello guys.

I've been using this box mod for about 3 weeks and I have a question.

My first box mod is Wismec RX200. And I always put the mod, atty, and the battery in my bag with the mod always turned off. And I always double check if it's off before I go. With RX200, I have no problem with burned wick.

But with this VooPoo Drag, I had about three times that the mod itself burned the wick. The first two maybe because that I didn't completely turning it off. But the last one just happened this time that I got my wick burned BUT with my device still saying it's off.

Is it possible that it's clicked 5 times for turning it on and firing it inside my bag and turning it off again by itself? That was just the mod and a bottle of e-juice inside my bag. What a coincidence, right ?

So I decided to try myself if there any button can fire the mod while it's off by clicking random button. But, nothing happened. It's just stay off.

Is it just because the clicky button ? Have someone had this happened too?

If this is an issue of the mod itself, what should I do for fixing it?

From now on I just have to put my mod and atty separately for avoiding this. It was my bad that I should have separate the atty from the mod every time I put them in my bag.

Any reply would be appreciated :)

Sorry for my bad English. It's not my first language :)

Hello, I have not had that happen but I will also say I never carry any mod loose in a bag, pack, pocket, etc. If I had to guess, that could be your problem. Why don't you try just using it at home or not carrying it in a bag for a bit to see if the problem reoccurs. I really like this mod and find myself reaching for it more often.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
VooPoo put up a new product intro video about the Alpha One. Finally -- I've loved some mods, but now a mod can love me.... View attachment 660595

Does it cuddle you on the couch too? And if can bring me a beer when I ask it too I'm definitely preordering. :lol:

Come on. It's bad enough they call themselves VooPoo, but they had to develop a love mode for their new mod? They desperately need a new translator. And marketing department.

Reactions: hazozita

freemanof

May 26, 2017
Hello, I have not had that happen but I will also say I never carry any mod loose in a bag, pack, pocket, etc. If I had to guess, that could be your problem. Why don't you try just using it at home or not carrying it in a bag for a bit to see if the problem reoccurs. I really like this mod and find myself reaching for it more often.

Hello happy valley! Thanks for your response. I've done that and that problem doesn't happen. I'm glad that is just my bad habbit for putting it in my bag. From now on, I always put anything separately with proper cases for each item. I can't go anywhere without my vape things (if the place I'm going to is allowing for vaping though).
I love this mod because of its responsiveness, the weight of the mod itself feel solid, and the very click button.

Thank you. Cheers !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread