Status
Not open for further replies.

vkiwi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
nz
www.vrwoodmods.co.nz
Sure is, for my part I'm trying to spend more time working than on the computer, I must admit element's blue did shut me up for a while!

I have had some black delrin arrive for a test, this should be a bullet proof way of making caps, will be good to see how it goes... very hard and heavy.
delrin 004.JPG

This will be the body, a pretty plain piece of walnut, with 2 lighter veneers laminated into it off centre. this will be cut into 12mm thicknesses across the grain, with every second piece being spun 180 degrees, and flipped. These will have veneers in between to give an effect like a bricks in a wall with the veneer being the mortar.
delrin 003.JPG

Distortoblotto's mod with double silver and wood caps, the wood will be quite dark so will contrast very well. this will get the first coats tonight.
delrin 001.JPG

Splatnext's mod is getting the final coats now, and almost ready to go.
Inspect's bold and colorful blocks are being delivered tomorrow, one to start straight away.
Loopy's brass has still not arrived, it's as if the miners are on strike or something!

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
This will be the body, a pretty plain piece of walnut, with 2 lighter veneers laminated into it off centre. this will be cut into 12mm thicknesses across the grain, with every second piece being spun 180 degrees, and flipped. These will have veneers in between to give an effect like a bricks in a wall with the veneer being the mortar.
View attachment 496635

looking forward to seeing that

sjoat

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2011
Earth
Sure is, for my part I'm trying to spend more time working than on the computer, I must admit element's blue did shut me up for a while!

I have had some black delrin arrive for a test, this should be a bullet proof way of making caps, will be good to see how it goes... very hard and heavy. View attachment 496631

View attachment 496635

Distortoblotto's mod with double silver and wood caps, the wood will be quite dark so will contrast very well. this will get the first coats tonight.
View attachment 496641

Splatnext's mod is getting the final coats now, and almost ready to go.
Inspect's bold and colorful blocks are being delivered tomorrow, one to start straight away.
Loopy's brass has still not arrived, it's as if the miners are on strike or something!
Why taunt me.

Uno mas

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Well after contacting the guy that sold me my blocks the "freebie" that I was really starting to consider goin' with first is out :( I noticed yesterday when I was searching for a shipping box that it felt considerably lighter than the others and was told in his response that the resin didn't take so he gives them away hoping something can be made out of them. Kinda bummed it really would have made a striking piece...

Fatboylim

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
London, UK
All received good sir and it is a thing of beauty. And, it hits like a train!

If you're not already convinced, these look even better in hand than in photos. The acrylic is tiny in size and has more depth of colours than anything I have seen. You can see parts of the mechanics, and you even get a glimpse of the battery (green in photo). Pure functional art!

IMAG0611.jpg
IMAG0612.jpg

Last edited:

Splatnext

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2013
near the beach
Well after contacting the guy that sold me my blocks the "freebie" that I was really starting to consider goin' with first is out :( I noticed yesterday when I was searching for a shipping box that it felt considerably lighter than the others and was told in his response that the resin didn't take so he gives them away hoping something can be made out of them. Kinda bummed it really would have made a striking piece...

Uno why don't you send that piece along to Vaughan also, just because it isn't stabilized doesn't mean it isn't usable.

I don't know much about wood, we all just went nuts once we knew stabilized was safe to buy, let him take a look at it to see if it could become a mod after all.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
1 houndb
2 suspect k
3 inspects
4 les
5 majic cloud
6 inspects
7 Loopy
8 distortoblotto
9 nautilusfan
10 GillTheGrunt
11 Cadman
12 Doffy
13 coaldriller
14 jazzvaper
15 nautilusfan
16 Clark F
17 penguiness
18 anonymous tripp
19 NatGasMan
20 fatboylim
21 RobbieVape
22 supertrunker
23 distortoblotto
24 LittleBird
25 Kingdal
26 inswva
27 Splatnex
28 hotsauc333
29 Uno Mas
30 Klav
31 emotionalstabilitysloth
32 AndyW
33 badinfluence357
34 BlueSnake
35 Doffy

in for #2

vkiwi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
nz
www.vrwoodmods.co.nz
Definitely worth sending! All natural timbers I use are soaked (by me) in penetrating epoxy after they are completely shaped, and seals to around 1mm deep, much deeper in soft timbers than dense timbers. The buckeye burls that are being stabilized are in reality almost as porous as balsa in natural form, which is why they take the stabilizing process so well. Even if the stabilizing has not taken the epoxy will seal it completely, and I'm almost completely sure it will be useable. I will have so see it to know though.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
How are you folks sending blocks to Vaughn from the states?

Sent a USPS priority package on Sept 28th for 80+ bucks...and Vaughn still has not received it as of yesterday.

Is this normal?....or should I just send the block I have now regular mail in the small USPS box?

Reactions: Splatnext

vkiwi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
nz
www.vrwoodmods.co.nz
Things are starting to get a little messy now with the list, with some amending their block choices for fancier material, and others waiting for material to arrive with me to get started. This is all fine, and expected. The issue for me is that I have to drop down the list order (to blocks on hand) at the risk of offending those at the top, or make random ideas that I have (and build my skills and techniques), and hold up all on the list to try to keep the order somewhat.

This is the big hassle with lists, I don't like the list system much personally, but it is important that everyone can know for sure that their place is secure no matter what happens. I would urge everyone to have their chosen material for the body here at around number 10 on the list, this will give me some time to organize cap materials etc in advance so I can take some of my stress out and streamline my making a little to keep things rolling. I have not been good enough at this myself so time to take some action, it's all still a learning process for me also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread