VTR Issue (opinions)

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by wrice4, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. wrice4

wrice4 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have owned my vtr for 3 weeks now and love it, but this past weekend it failed me and I have yet to get the issue resolved. All of a sudden my vtr wouldn't turn on with fresh charged batteries in them. I found out that I would have to press in, on the battery door, to get a solid connection for the vtr to turn on. Apparently somehow, the battery bay is not getting a solid connection from the batteries, I have never dropped the vtr. I dont know how this issue all of a sudden came about.

I talked to my local vape shop, where I got the unit, and the only thing the manager said is that he could take the unit apart himself and see if he can figure it out, and if he can't he will replace it. Innokin themselves were no help. Anyways, the manger at the local store has never taken it apart so I might as well do it myself. Any head about this or know how to fix this before I take it apart? I assume I just need to take the bottom off and see if I can tighten the battery door?

2. Dreaswi

Dreaswi Senior Member ECF Veteran

If the store is willing to open it don't do it yourself as they might say you voided any warranty they offer.

It only takes one person to start a revolution.

3. InTheShade

InTheShade Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'm not too familiar with the VTR but a quick thing you could do to fix the issue is stretch out the spring in the battery bay. It might not fix the issue in your case as it seems like you are describing a malfunctioning battery door, but it might be worth a try.

If that doesn't work, you could try a slightly longer battery. Even though they are all 'standard' at 650mm long, you will find some are longer than others. Someone posted a link a while back with the actual sizes of different cells, I'll see if I can find it.

Again, this is not in lieu of the manager trying to fix it for you, but a couple of solutions you can try while you wait for him to do it. Personally I wouldn't open it myself due to the warranty issues mentioned by Dreaswi.

4. wrice4

Understand both posts.Thanks

5. Susan~S

Susan~S ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I too had that happen to me (with a flat top battery). I could not figure it out. I had a spare button top battery and used it (no problem) until it was time to change my battery. At that point I tried my flat top battery again, and it worked. I have no idea what was really going on.

My battery door has a little play in it, so maybe by "jiggling it around" everything resolved itself. Sorry my experience is not more "scientific". This has only happened once (I have 2 VTR's).

6. coalyard

coalyard Super Member ECF Veteran

New version VTRs don't seem to get along well with flat top batteries. Use a button top. I have also seen complaints that the door will pop open on it's own. Mine does this from time to time.

7. serenity21899

serenity21899 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I have 2 VTRs and never had an issue with efest button top batteries. Unfortunately, there is no warranty on them that I know of, You could go check Innokin's website to verify that.

8. wrice4

I was able to fix it by taking the top screws out and stretch the spring back out.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

9. Tangaroav

Tangaroav Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I have mine since 5 months and use it frequently. I did not have any problem, yet. But with everything mechanical I am sure someting will happen sooner or later.

The top pin is 'springy' so I guess there is a spring behing the pin. How did you take it appart ? I can not see a screw there.

10. wrice4

You have to take the top off the VTR first, by removing the torx screws.

11. Tangaroav

Tangaroav Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Thanks, is it an easy removal that can be re-assembled without too much risks ?

12. wrice4

Yes. But I take thing apart all the time for no reason.

13. kangolo

kangolo Full Member

I returned one that would pop open all the time, it's no fun sending lithium batteries crashing to the pavement.

14. mkbilbo

mkbilbo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

You contacted Innokin? They warrantee for 90 days. I had a first gen with the flaky, spinny thread base that went bad and got it swapped out easy. And it was within a week of the end of the warrantee.

15. wrice4

They only warrantee authorized dealers. I'm not going back to that vape shop.

16. mkbilbo

Ah! Yeah, no. Buy from authorized dealers. VTRs ain't cheap! ;)

My local guy went to some trade show thing recently and said Innokin is really pushing to up their game and be a "leader" in the vape world. I know getting mine swapped was easy. My local guy handed me a new one out of his stock as Innokin had already shipped a replacement before he sent mine in.

17. wrice4

Yes I learned my lesson

18. mkbilbo

Yeah, I paid maybe $30 over online price but ended up saving a ton since the alternative was buying a replacement VTR. Over a stupid stripped thread problem no less!

Sometimes ya ain't saving as much as it seems. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.