VV Passthrough malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Hey, I got this VV passthrough about a month ago. I was using it in the car and it just stopped working. I brought it home and figured it seems to be a lose connection inside the unit. When I push the wire in, it will start to work, but I have to hold the wire. Does the unit come apart so that I can check the connections inside?

I loved this little unit. I hate to have seen it go that quicky. If I could get it apart, I'm sure I can fix it.

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
OK, now it just stopped working all together. Damn, I wish I could figure out how it comes apart. Its built pretty sturdy. "The only weak point on it is the wire. Its not like I mishandled it either. I've been very careful with it.

Ooo, no oneknows how to crack open this bugger huh? I am having a hard time identifing any seams on it. If no one replies I will throw it in a vise and wrench on it.

:blink:

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I'm not sure on that one since I haven't had a passthru like that but most ego batteries come apart by pulling from the end where the atty connects. If you have an old atty or something to screw on to it then try wiggling it back and forth to see if it will pull the atty connector forward. If it does then you might be able to getto the wires.

Kookie

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 19, 2010
    This is a picture from the website:

NhalerVVpT808.jpg

I will take a picture during the day tomorrow because that looks like a 510 connection and mine has an 808.

VVPTf.jpg VVPTside.jpg VVPTwof.jpg

I don't think the photos will help.

Last edited:

Kookie

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 19, 2010
    Thanks Drew. Yeah, sure must be pressed because there is no seem to be seen. Although, I did suspect what you say because there seems to be a very slightly deeper grove there. Very subtle. I just ran out of time on my days off here. I will get to taking this to the shop when I get the chance. I will let you know how it comes apart one way or another. I will try my best to do it without destroying it because it’s just a loose wire. Too bad that but end didn't just screw on. The way it is makes it basically non-serviceable and just a toss out which is kind of a shame. I like it; it’s a nice little unit. Hope my second one here last longer than this first one. Will let ya' know.

Kidnapped

Verified Member
    Not sure how to help; except to say that (in my experience) everything that was put together comes apart. (unless it's welded, in which case it takes a grinder... :p) Whether or not it can ever be put back together after being taken apart, is sometimes a different matter... I'm seriously considering buying one of these critters; though; so, I'd be VERY interested in hearing your outcome. If I were tinkering with one, I think I'd take a needle or something similar and a magnifying glass, to search for any hard to find seams. I'd especially search around the area behind the button. (Where the connector would press into a battery cover, if it were attached to a battery, instead of to a wire.) I've only seen the pictures; but, I've been thinking about building one using a pre-wired 510 connector and the old USB cord from a dead mouse. If I were building something like this, I'd tie a knot in the USB cord after passing it through a hole in something to hook the 510 connector into. Maybe who ever designed these had a similar thought. Actually, I got the idea from having an 1100 battery start trying to work it's way loose from the battery tube. Hope this helps. :vapor: Please keep us updated. If you decide not to mess w/it and to pitch it instead, pm me. I've enjoyed taking things apart ever since I was a little kid. LOL, SOMETIMES, I even manage to get them back together in some semblance of a working order...:p

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread