Status
Not open for further replies.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
A little off topic, but is there any special care instructions for the stabilized wood? Polish, wax, etc? Thanks guys! I'm so excited!

Rob told me nothing special with the way he got the poly finish down when I asked him the same question. Just use a soft clean cloth. :)

JGD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks, I have a Mac and couldn't figure out how to save it on Firefox OR Safari. This is a great tip!!

Hi guys, I've seen people posting how to grab screenshots using PrtScn and then pasting/cropping into an image editor. If you're using Firefox, here's a better way (other browsers have similar tricks):

1. Click on the image so that you can see it full size on your screen (on reosmods.com, you'll see the background go black and the fullsize image opens up.)

2. Normally, you would just right click -> Save Picture As, but because of the scripting being used, that option isn't available. So, instead, click the "Tools" menu at the top of the screen and select "Page Info".

3. Select the "Media" tab at the top of the page. This will give you a list of all the pictures on the page you're currently visiting. On the reosmods.com pages, the full size mod images are usually at the bottom. (The first VV Woodville, for example, is at the bottom and is "http://www.reosmods.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/vv_lacewood_3_4f905fb756c39.jpg".)

4. Click the "Save As" button.

AmnNate

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Charleston, SC
Rob told me nothing special with the way he got the poly finish down when I asked him the same question. Just use a soft clean cloth. :)

Thanks! I wish I had the money to have bought a normal wood one as well. Seems like the feeling of the stabilized has been described as much different than the other woods. I guess I'll have to try again next time to get that warm natural wood feel. It's not like you can have too many Reos, right? Haha, wish my wife believed that!!

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Thanks! I wish I had the money to have bought a normal wood one as well. Seems like the feeling of the stabilized has been described as much different than the other woods. I guess I'll have to try again next time to get that warm natural wood feel. It's not like you can have too many Reos, right? Haha, wish my wife believed that!!
You can still use Howards Feed and Wax on them. I use it on all of mine. Especially on the inside. There is no poly coat there. Just use a Q-tip and apply inside. It will soak into the wood and give some protection to juice spills. Also will keep the wood from drying out. My Stabilized has Howards all over it! Any bare wood should have protection.

beezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2011
The VooDoo Lounge
I took a bunch of pennies to take up the space and put tape around the outside. It works great since copper is such a good conductor.

Heh, I just reduced their stock down to 5.

I do have a question, though: I have the PILA charger, which works great for the standard Grand and Mini batteries, but I don't have any blanks/spacers to use with the much shorter 18350 batteries. Does anybody know where I can buy JUST the spacers, or is there some other easy-to-obtain object that conducts electricity that I can use as a spacer? Will any ol' piece of conductive metal that I can find to fit in there do the job? Safely?

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Why do people try to recharge primary cell (non-rechargeable batteries)? And then sue the manufacturer?

People do strange things. If you explicitly state that someone shouldn't, you at least absolve yourself of responsibility...

In the US, the most litigious nation in the known universe, anybody can sue anybody for anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you probably won't have a hard time finding a lawyer willing to take the most frivolous case before the court. It is up to the judge to determine whether the case will proceed. By that time, in many instances, the person/entity being sued has potentially spent tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees even before the case goes to court.

It is not unusual for auto insurance carriers to settle out of court to avoid the costs. Same for large companies. And that's no matter how frivolous the "complaint" is!!!!!!!!!!

And................ I forgot............. corporations are legal persons now.

We have some experience with frivolous suits. The silliest one and it now cost us $100 a month extra in car insurance was... DH was stopped, at a stop light, behind a pickup truck. His REO had fallen on the floor so he reached down to retrieve. His foot came off the brake and he nudged the backend of the pickup. In Texas you have to have a front license plate. Small dent in pickup truck bumper. It didn't even leave a mark on the license plate let alone bend it. He and driver exchanged info and went on their ways. About 6 weeks later we got a letter from our insurance co. that DH was being sued for bodily injury from the driver in pickup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was totally out of our hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The insurance co., Farmers, settled out of court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had two hit and runs to our cars when they were parked. We used our insurance to fix them as each cost a couple of thousand to fix. And then a few months later DH was stopped at a stop light and a young woman plowed into him from behind, totally her fault, and about $5K damage to DH's car which our co. paid to fix while waiting for her co to pay. Our insurance co. told us that her carrier was hard to get money from so I don't know if or what they got from her carrier. DH had one or two speeding tickets, in past few years. Our auto insurance, for two 10 year old cars, went from ~$260 a month to over $400 a month. We do have collision and carry PIP so that takes the cost of insurance up. I've got to seek out another insurance co.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cost of our insurance didn't budge until DH bumped the pickup truck. He was maybe going 1 mph.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRAZINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feisty Alice

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Why do people try to recharge primary cell (non-rechargeable batteries)? And then sue the manufacturer?

People do strange things. If you explicitly state that someone shouldn't, you at least absolve yourself of responsibility...

I am not a lawyer but I know this is not always true.

Feisty Alice

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Just a reminder to new REOnauts...

"UNSURE's LAW" Always have EVERYTHING you need in house BEFORE your REO arrives! Worst sin ever is staring at a new REO that can't be used!
somean.gif

BTW................ Gil, ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your burled TEAK door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs, Feisty Alice

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I tried but the evil USPS was working against me lucky for me lighthound ships fast I already have a shipping notice from them so they should get here before my Woodvil and I can always use the ones for my provari mini in a pinch

Although I have a gaggle of 16340s and a few 18350s I thought we needed more with 3 VV in house so I ordered a few more from Lighthound yesterday afternoon, Sunday. Shipping notice was sent out at the same moment the sales receipt was sent a fraction of a second after order completed. I just checked and the batteries were accepted at PO at 1403 today. That's pretty fast shipping. They should be here no later than Wed.

Feisty Alice

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
a 5/8" steel ball bearing works well. Or I personally use a large nut (as in nut & bolt) Or, RTD Vapor sells an aluminum spacer.

15mm Charging Spacer

I think got my "dummy" 16340 spacers from RTD. They are the same size as the 16340 batteries and even look like batteries with blue shrink wrap. I labeled them so no one would try to use them as battery and then think something was wrong with PV.

I have the aluminum ones that are about 0.5", also.

Feisty Alice

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
That was Alice, I think - big ole hex nut, fit perfectly!

Nope, not me but a great idea. Not that I wouldn't use hex nuts but "Honorary Boy Scout Feisty Alice" usually has "proper" :laugh: things in advance. Now.................. duct tape, being the duct tape QUEEN ................... that usually works to fix just about everything but hex nut would be better for spacers.

Feisty Alice

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
only 1 brand new set of batts to start here but it should work out well til i can get more. my vv aint leaving the house

Our VV Woodvils have been sitting at UPS store since SAT (we were out of town)............. OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The engine maintenance light came on in my car and DH won't be home till after closing............... OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Poor Feisty Alice

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Im hopeing 2 sets each should be fine for the wife and I. An 18650 will last her 2 days and it wont be leaving the house either. Either way it'll have to do for now.

My VV Woodvils will leave the house for car trips, protected in special pockets in my purse but the Spalted probably won't go outside, at home, DANGER DANGER!!!!!! or even much beyond the recliner side table except for maintenance and care and filling bottles.

BTW.... If you have round cup carriers in car, the cardboard sleeve that goes on hot, to-go coffee cups, placed into car cup holder, are great to keep REOs in an upright position. The cardboard sleeve wants to go back near it's original shipping state so it stays open just a little wider than a REO thickness.

Feisty Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread