Wakonda is Flamable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
:)

So I had a twisted 28g build in a Nuppin that came out to .3 ohms, a little lower than I would like for my REO, but It figured I could get by with it for a day until I had time to rebuild it. I loved it because it fired instantly and made tasty clouds. It was using lots of juice and I was having to squonk every couple of pulls, lost count at some point and the wick didn't just dry out, it lit on fire.:shock::evil: That was a first for me, fortunately I was using RxW so just blew it out squonked every hit after that.

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
:)

So I had a twisted 28g build in a Nuppin that came out to .3 ohms, a little lower than I would like for my REO, but It figured I could get by with it for a day until I had time to rebuild it. I loved it because it fired instantly and made tasty clouds. It was using lots of juice and I was having to squonk every couple of pulls, lost count at some point and the wick didn't just dry out, it lit on fire.:shock::evil: That was a first for me, fortunately I was using RxW so just blew it out squonked every hit after that.

Oh dear :lol:

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
I'm confused. If the wick was dry, how is it that Wakonda is flammable?
conf40.gif

I suspect the thread title is an attempt at humor but tongue in cheek or not, it's easy bait for anyone that wants to vilify vaping and e-liquids and spew the FUD rhetoric.

Wakonda is not flammable; dry cotton is flammable.

Nothin' to see here folks.

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
No humor, although it was pretty funny when I realized what happened and I nearly through the REO out onto the highway.

RxW is some sort of synthetic woven material designed to protect wires on things like the space shuttle, it wicks very well and to clean it you take a torch and burn everything off. That particular build made lots of vapor the instant I touched the button, there was no warm up or ramp up time at all. It definitely used a lot of juice so when it started to dry the coil got real hot real fast and lit the remaining juice in the wick on fire. I've done that before while I was dry burning and cleaning things, it usually takes 20 or 30 seconds though to get things hot enough and dry enough to make it happen.

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
I would imagine that the juice itself is not flammable but it is the residue that builds up on the coil. I've dry burned a coil to clean it with no wick when I used one of the NET juices and if it was a low enough ohm coil and heated fast (and was really gunked up from use) there would be a small flame at first but after that burned off the residue no more flame. :) (And I've never seen it with a higher ohm coil as that heats slowly enough that gunk is burned off more slowly...)

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
All e-juice is flammable. That's a fact.

Back in the days when genny atomizers were all the rage, part of the process of making ss wicks was to coat them with juice and then light them with a lighter and burn them off several times.

If you doubt it take anything that is no flammable, coat it with juice and light it with a lighter. It WILL burn until the juice is burnt off.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

Back in the days when genny atomizers were all the rage, part of the process of making ss wicks was to coat them with juice and then light them with a lighter and burn them off several times.

If you doubt it take anything that is no flammable, coat it with juice and light it with a lighter. It WILL burn until the juice is burnt off.

That is correct, esp if a higher alcohol content. Vanilla flavoring from the food store is quite flammable.

Many food flavorings are flammable which is why some of them cannot be shipped via air, and you will see those disclaimers on many flavoring sites.

But shsssss! Don't tell anyone......

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN

Yeap! This is true. I remember the RSST / AGA-T2 Tank days, and dealing SS Mesh ([HASHTAG]#400[/HASHTAG] and [HASHTAG]#500[/HASHTAG]). Wasted a lot of juice carbonizing the wick this way. I enjoyed this method for about a year. Learned to make awesome looking 3/32 wicks. It worked great for a long time, but then it took its toll when having to deal with "Hot Spots" (where the SS Mesh burns a hole in itself, and it touches the coil). That was more of a nightmare than dealing with "Hot Legs". Once you go through the Military school of SS Mesh,...it conditions you, and you never, ever want to deal with it again! However, the techniques you learn from SS Mesh always stay with you. :thumb:

Now, life is much better with the Reo Grand. Dealing with wicking materials such as CelluCotton; KGD; and RxW is a piece of cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread