Walgreens brand organic cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

yppan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
PrkrwCD.jpg

Is this cotton good to use to make wicks for my rda? I had some doubts about it because it says whitened with hydrogen peroxide. Hope it's ok because I already used it!

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
do a search on here for organic cotton...some same yes, some say no, some say boil it first...I was looking for a longer forum i was reading last week that had some real science in it, but couldn't find it....

anyways, I can't tell a difference between my expensive organic Japanese cotton and my plain Jane CVS cotton balls. As to safety, well...anything is better than the cigarettes I used to smoke. As I said, been using them for almost a year with no problems.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
PrkrwCD.jpg

Is this cotton good to use to make wicks for my RDA? I had some doubts about it because it says whitened with hydrogen peroxide. Hope it's ok because I already used it!

That's exactly the kind I use... it works great! I didn't know how good vaping could taste until I tried organic instead of sterile cotton. (ETA: no, I don't boil it -- just pull it out of the bag and use it!)

Andria

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
That's what I do. I am finding myself rewicking quite often because I am finding black stuff on the cotton. I think I am burning the wicks. How do you avoid this?
On regulated, lower your power :p
You could be using too little cotton, causing dry "hot spots" in the coil, you could have to little air flow for the build/wattage, you could be using a highly sweetened juice and that's the dreaded coil gunk you are seeing... There are so many variables we need more info: What mod and atty, what build (gauge, ohms, wraps, diameter etc) and type of juice (pg/vg ratio, type of flavor)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That's what I do. I am finding myself rewicking quite often because I am finding black stuff on the cotton. I think I am burning the wicks. How do you avoid this?

Once you get the well-used wick exposed, hold it under running water -- any black stuff that's just gunk will rinse away; any black stuff that remains is burnt wick. A lot of times my coils will be so blackly gunked that I'm totally amazed that the wick turns completely white again when held under running water, even the bit inside the coil is white again. You might at that point be tempted to blot the water and re-use the white-again wick, but it never works well, after it's been doused with water; after about 2-3 hits you'll start tasting hot metal.

The only real way to avoid gunking is to vape unflavored or so lightly flavored that it vaporizes very cleanly -- a lot of tobacco flavors are that way. To avoid burning the wick, you could turn the power down a bit, raise the ohms of your coils, leave the coil uncompressed, an "open" coil, or open up the airflow a little to help cool the coil.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Seen the video, he did cotton balls and Japanese cotton, he did not do cotton coil.

And for those of us using very-high PG, how well something wicks is always going to be "excellent." It's only the high-VG users that need to be concerned with ability to wick, "capillary action." I think the japanese cotton is probably best, and I think he figured out the same, followed by rayon, followed by everything else.

Andria

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
the
And for those of us using very-high PG, how well something wicks is always going to be "excellent." It's only the high-VG users that need to be concerned with ability to wick, "capillary action." I think the japanese cotton is probably best, and I think he figured out the same, followed by rayon, followed by everything else.

Andria
coil cotton fluffs out better in the wick grooves in the coil chamber than the Japanese cotton does, so other reasons to consider it. Less chance of flooding.
The fibers in the coil cotton are aligned very well and not as compacted as the ones in the Japanese pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread