Want to go a Little Higher in Ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I have a couple of RTAs and I make coils for them that hit right close to .5 ohms. I am using 24 ga kanthal, 3.0 mm dia. which comes to 5 wraps.

I would like to make coils at 1.0 ohms but using the same specs the calculator says I am looking at 11 wraps. Seems like a lot.

Those of you who make your coils at 1.0 ohms or thereabouts, how are you going about it?

Thanks.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
For 1 ohm I use 26g wire 8 wraps 2.5mm id. It gives more surface area for flavor. Compared to a 28g with only 5 wraps. If I go higher than 1 ohm I switch to 28g. For a faster ramp up time. But it really depends on the size of the deck and what you can fit in it as well.

It depends on his build deck and how he likes to build though, if he does spaced coils on most decks you can't do more than a 5 or 6 wrap coil..

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Or what builds he prefers..
My last sentence of my post was " it really depends on the size of the deck and what you can fit in it" I just gave a suggestion that's all. He did not mention spaced or temp control. I just stated what I have in one of my RTAs currently right now. A suggestion...

Reactions: Opinionated

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I have a couple of RTAs and I make coils for them that hit right close to .5 ohms. I am using 24 ga kanthal, 3.0 mm dia. which comes to 5 wraps.

I would like to make coils at 1.0 ohms but using the same specs the calculator says I am looking at 11 wraps. Seems like a lot.

Those of you who make your coils at 1.0 ohms or thereabouts, how are you going about it?

Thanks.
6 wraps of 26g KA1 on a 3mm gives you around 1ohm
That was my normal build on the avocado 24, before switching to 3.5mm ID

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
My last sentence of my post was " it really depends on the size of the deck and what you can fit in it" I just gave a suggestion that's all. He did not mention spaced or temp control. I just stated what I have in one of my RTAs currently right now. A suggestion...

And a good suggestion it is.. it's one of my usual builds unless I'm doing spaced. I think I've been spacier than normal lately!

Forgive my ###ness..

:lol:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I have a couple of good size decks, an Ammit and a Merlin and I also just received the new Serpent SIMM which I haven't used yet. I like the idea of 26 ga, 7 or 8 wraps at 2.5 or 3 mm. I think I'll give it s hot tonight.
    I'd go with the 3mm so you have enough wick to fill the wick holes on the SMM.

Reactions: Eskie

93gc40

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 5, 2014
    California

Thanks.
    Well if .5 ohm is 6 wraps. I would kinda expect a coil a 2x ohm to be at least 2x more wraps.....

10 to 12 wraps for 1ohm and 24. Sounds about write to me....

Why are you looking for 1ohm? Do you have other wire available. ..

I'm running a 1.1ohm 28 SS coil in my Avocado. It's 8 wrap on 3mm.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread