Want to try Kanger sub tank....but like lower wattage !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
Joie, my first step in rebuilding was just replacing the wicking with cotton in the ProTank 2 single coil. I had no intention of making new coils, but everyone was talking how great cotton was. I had to try at least the rewicking with cotton balls. Ha! That was 18 mos. ago and I've gone on to using cellu cotton (rayon) from Sally's Beauty Supply and 30 guage Kanthal for my PT's rebuilding anywhere from 1.5 to 2 ohms.

Taxguydave ain't lying when he says you can use the ProTank 2 coils. Took his info and tried them my ownself in my Subtank mini. Worked like a charm. Can't thank him enough for sharing this other option. :)
Thanks. It was one of those discoveries made during a difficult moment. :D

Danbrooks2k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Pensacola, Florida
Don't buy knock off coils from fasttech ever... buy authentic ones from fasttech however. I have had horrible luck with the fakes.

The nano does work very well on the above ohm coil... I prefer sub ohm... but I have to use that free 1.2 ohm coil somehow... lol

Actually I normally set someone up with the above ohm coils to get them to try vaping. Sub ohm is a tad tough for some new users to inhale properly.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
@Joie, check My Freedom Smokes. Currently 40% off coils (through today or tomorrow). I just ordered two packs of their 1.5 ohm VOCCs. I think the code is COILS40%. Only two packs will get the discount. I run the 1.2 ohm coils around 15-18W (should be o.k. for your iStick)

Reactions: aikanae1

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Joie, my first step in rebuilding was just replacing the wicking with cotton in the ProTank 2 single coil. I had no intention of making new coils, but everyone was talking how great cotton was. I had to try at least the rewicking with cotton balls. Ha! That was 18 mos. ago and I've gone on to using cellu cotton (rayon) from Sally's Beauty Supply and 30 guage Kanthal for my PT's rebuilding anywhere from 1.5 to 2 ohms.

Taxguydave ain't lying when he says you can use the ProTank 2 coils. Took his info and tried them my ownself in my Subtank mini. Worked like a charm. Can't thank him enough for sharing this other option. :)

Wait WHUT?????? I can use a PT2 coil in my Subtanks??????????

I'll be ding-danged! I'm going to go try this NOW!!!!! I have like a zillion PT2 coils (and I just ordered another boatload of VOCCs!!!!!) I have a bunch of the original OCCs that I've tried rewicking and rebuilding. I just seem to struggle to get a good rewick on the OCCs. One time it's amazing, and the next three times it's a nightmare.

Thanks Chooch and Taxguy!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I use a Subtank Nano in exactly the way you describe. I use 2.5ohm coil heads that are actually made for the Protank series. They fit snugly into the STN, and I've had no problems.
1425902-6.jpg

Unconventional solution, but it works for me.

$3.52 Authentic Protank Clearomizer Coil Heads (5-Pack) 5-pack - 2.5Ω at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

do you add extra silicone rings at the top to seal it?

Reactions: Electrodave

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I just loaded a Nano with a PT2 coil. THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting amazing flavor and vapor from this little bugger. Set on the single airhole. Didn't do anything with the silicone ring - loaded just like I'd load my PT2.

Any recommendations on how low it's safe to build a PT2 head? I don't venture much below 1.5 ohms (30g 1/16" tensioned coil wicked with a wisp of a cotton ball)

I'm laying mine down at the moment, and at this point, no leakage, but I'm keeping my eye on it.

Thanks for this! I love finding ways to repurpose. Now I have six more tanks I can use with these coils!!!!!!!!!!!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I have by mistake recoiledl a PT2 down to 1.2 ohm.....Vaped fine. Otherwise, have no idea how low you can go and still be safe. :)

I just don't want to melt insulators. I seem to like super-ohm builds most of the time anyway. Heck, with the way this one's going (I think it's about 1.6), I don't need sub-ohm!

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
Well this is just awesome :banana: I had relegated my sub-tank mini to the if ever desperate box. Last night I figured I would try it again - ended up emptying it and pulling out a Protank. Seems like every time I try something new - I just end up going back to my Protanks.

I just reversed the process and put the juice and coil from the Protank back into the Sub-Tank mini and my 2.2 oHm coil at 8W is working great. One more reason to love ECF and all the great people here :wub:

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Well this is just awesome :banana: I had relegated my sub-tank mini to the if ever desperate box. Last night I figured I would try it again - ended up emptying it and pulling out a Protank. Seems like every time I try something new - I just end up going back to my Protanks.

I just reversed the process and put the juice and coil from the Protank back into the Sub-Tank mini and my 2.2 oHm coil at 8W is working great. One more reason to love ECF and all the great people here :wub:

I know, RIGHT?????? (I did get some 1.5 ohm VOCCs - I will be trying them, but geesh, I can rebuild my PT2 heads in my sleep....)

Joie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2012
Illinois
I love this idea.....I might be old fashion in the vaping world but I LOVE my old single coils......now if I can find someone to do another co-op so I could buy a BUNCH more I would be very happy. I don't mind re-wicking with cotton, but rebuilding them coils I hate !!!!!

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
50% of the Kangertech coils for the Sub-ohm tanks are coiled and wicked like crap.
The .5 ohm coil ( kanthal ) diameter is around 4mm, the cotton wick is packed extremely tight and IMO, the juice port holes are too small. I believe they are authentic coil heads as the packaging, and laser inscribed markings look right.

After much aggrevation with these Kt. coils, I drilled out the juice port holes to 3.5mm and install a lightly fitted cotton wick. They work well with no dry hits using thick VG juice.
Recently they switched to the vertical coil, which has a different styled coil body. They are difficult to re-build, but can still be re-built.

sparkky1 turned me onto the Zephyrus tank, which IMO, has the airiest draw of any sub-ohm tank, and the closest flavor chasing setup (from a RTA) Once you master the coil and wicking of this tank, the sky is the limit. (.1 ohm to 3.0 ohm ) And once again, the flavor and cloud production is the closest to a drip set up, (RDA)

Danbrooks2k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Pensacola, Florida
I remember dry burning PT2 coils, trying to rewick with cotton and recoil... It was a pain in the .... to get a good vape.

When the nautilus came out I gave every PT2 away and swore off kanger for good... went to the atlantis and got the subtank in a trade deal. Since it had a fresh coil I figured I might as well try it... I gave away my atlantis tanks to my best friend a week later.

But going back to PT coils... ouch... no thanks, I give away the above ohm coils that come with those tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread