Wanting to be a new REO owner, couple questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
Hey guys, been vaping now for 3 years, have had my share of quality high end mods, but somehow never ended up with a REO!

Getting more into RBA's these days, and am really starting to wish I had a REO to play with, instead of bothering with dripping constantly, or disassembling and draining my whole kayfun just to work on the coil.

So I have a few questions before I make a purchase;

I keep seeing mentioned the upgraded firing pin and fuse setup that has less voltage drop. It seems like there is some kind of official update in the works? Is this going to be standard on all mech REO Grands soon? If I order one now, I assume I won't get this upgrade, and would have to purchase it later correct?

I also keep seeing mentioned having the catch cup milled down before ordering, is this something you can request be done at time of order somehow? Can this be done to any of the finishes that are shown as "in stock" or only to certain finishes?

I am a staunch supporter of proper VW (ex. EVOLV chips), and I certainly have some reservations getting a mech mod again, but there is just something about the REO that calls to me...

I would get the VV Reo if it did not require stacked batteries, man it would be awesome to have an official DNA20 REO...

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
So, I'm told that Rob is offering milled REOs on the site now. (milling before painting leads to a full paint job). I think you can request a particular color in a milled version by way of a PM to redeyedancer (Rob) . . . . . .just speculation, tho. If you bought a REO today, you would need to order the upgrade kit for spring and firing pin when it becomes available. I don't see a reason to wait unless you vape below ~.8Ω. That's where the difference becomes noticeable.

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
So, I'm told that Rob is offering milled REOs on the site now. (milling before painting leads to a full paint job). I think you can request a particular color in a milled version by way of a PM to redeyedancer (Rob) . . . . . .just speculation, tho. If you bought a REO today, you would need to order the upgrade kit for spring and firing pin when it becomes available. I don't see a reason to wait unless you vape below ~.8Ω. That's where the difference becomes noticeable.

Thanks, for the most part I do not have any need to go under 1 ohm, but I do have a dual coil RDA that I like to build down at .7 or so, though I am not really convinced that the hit on the battery life is really worth it over a properly built single coil.

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA
Dibby is quick and right. The milled ones are being sold as Low Profile Reo Grand. Waiting for the up grade is up to you . I don't know if it's been said or not but I think they will be on all new mods. I do know Rob is asking for 5000 of them from his supplier. I don't think a DNA is in the works or ever will be if you want a VV I'd say get one now. I (and this is only my thinking) think they won't be around much longer

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I've also been vaping for three years this month and was also sold on Evolv, I even had a Darwin. I was also worried about going to mechanical but took the leap and I'm so glad I did, much better vap. When I thought about it, once I dialed in the wattage on a device it never really changed. So with the Reo once you dial in your coil build it's the same thing really.

If you're not going below .7 ohm no reason to worry about the low ohm kit, the people going super low were melting buttons. I stay in the .8 to 1.2 ohm range. When we get the kit it will give us better battery life, the current rebuilt kit is only $23 so I don't expect the new kit to be to bad. Rob is very fair in his pricing.

I sent Rob a PM to get the Reo I wanted in a low profile.

Krazirob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Cameron, NC
i don't think the sub ohm kit is coming out for the VV Grand is it?

but i say even if you did get one for that .7 ohm coil you could always buy another one when the kit comes out so you can have a sub ohm grand with the kit and another for conservatively vaping........but with the VV i think you won't be upset with you purchase.

Oh and no need for the fuse mod or firing pin mod for the VV.......just place battery, turn dial and vape away

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
The VV is completely different design with the chip and wires being the limiting factor, so you're never going to push .3 ohm coil on a VV. The kit is for the mechanicals with beryllium copper firing pin and spring to lower the resistance of those components. The lower resistance of these will lower the voltage drop and the firing pin won't heat up melting the button.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
i don't think the sub ohm kit is coming out for the VV Grand is it?

but i say even if you did get one for that .7 ohm coil you could always buy another one when the kit comes out so you can have a sub ohm grand with the kit and another for conservatively vaping........but with the VV i think you won't be upset with you purchase.

Oh and no need for the fuse mod or firing pin mod for the VV.......just place battery, turn dial and vape away

theres no point going sub ohm on a VV up the volts to get the same effect besides the vv won't fire much under 1.5 ohm anyways

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Rob stated somewhere in the woodvil thread his desire to discontinue the VV models, and transition to a VW model that uses the drop in 18mm format regulation devices, aka the Kick, the Crown etc. When the regulation module goes bad/fails, or gets updated (Kick 3, Kick4 etc) you swap it out. He also said ideally it would be able to function as a mechanical without the module as well. Sounds killer to me!

Un5tab1e

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
United States
Reo grand was my first mech and probably the only mod I'll own again. If u want to use the dual coil atty you have then get a milled grand so u don't have to worry about it not fitting. Sub ohm kit is for Pdibby and the others that like to go .6 or lower. I run from .7-1.2 with not problem/heating of the power button whatsoever. Just use the recommended batteries and keep your firing pin noalaxed. I'd say go for it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
REO's made after the production of the sub-ohm kit will have it installed. So yes, waiting you can get one ready to go.

Please use only the recommended batteries. Button top AW IMR 1600mAh for the Grand. They really are the best for the REO.
I understood that with the new sub-ohm kit flat top batteries will no longer be a problem?
FJX2kLp.jpg

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
Thanks for the reply's guys!

I like the sounds of a Grand that is designed to run a kick with an 18650, or without it in full mech mode.

Also like the sounds of being able to use flat top batteries if I had to.

I'm not to keen on stacking small MAH batteries in the VV, so I will probably not go that route.

I've got a week or so before the funds become available for this so I will have some time to think.

Most likely I will end up with a milled down Grand, and am RM2 to start. I have two DNA20 devices when i want to get my VW rocks off. :)

Does the RM2 look funky with the milled catch cup?

dreamreaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
Pennsylvania
REO's made after the production of the sub-ohm kit will have it installed. So yes, waiting you can get one ready to go.

Please use only the recommended batteries. Button top AW IMR 1600mAh for the Grand. They really are the best for the REO.

so AW IMR 2000mAh isnt a good match with the Grand?
Kind of a bummer as I have a bunch of those, kind of bummed now as it's pushed my purchase back a little till I can afford new batteries. :(

Krazirob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Cameron, NC
so AW IMR 2000mAh isnt a good match with the Grand?
Kind of a bummer as I have a bunch of those, kind of bummed now as it's pushed my purchase back a little till I can afford new batteries. :(

nothing....those just don't have the amperage limit as the 1600's.......the 2000 mah is rated at 10A whereas the 1600 is rated at 24...

Un5tab1e

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
United States
I have a 2000mah in my rotation I use it when my 18650's are charging. Unless your sub ohm I don't think you would notice a difference (I don't anyway) if you order a milled Reo make sure u pm rob for an unmilled rm2. I don't think those are listed on site yet.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread