Wanting to get mod but scared..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca
Yup I said it I am scared. I fell in love with the timber on the site, as the days inch closer and my research deepens my fear grows. Since it uses a 14500 size/ capability has me worried. Will I be able to drip? do I run a higher risk of "backfires" or fires? Here I am night before the big order and worried . Any one can help calm my fears? or tell me something ?

Thanks in advance!
:unsure:

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
What do you mean by "backfires?" What are you afraid will catch fire? Whether you can drip or not depends on your choice of *omizer.

The fact that it uses 14500's only means that you are basically using an Ego-type battery in a different package. Anything you can do with an Ego you will be able to do with the Timber, the two major differences being that you can change out the battery if it runs out, rather than having to move everything to another battery while you recharge, and it looks a lot nicer/cooler/more distinctive than an eGo/kGo/Riva.

If you have specific questions or fears I will be happy to try and help you out, but right now I'm not really sure what you are "afraid" of :)

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca
What do you mean by "backfires?" What are you afraid will catch fire? Whether you can drip or not depends on your choice of *omizer.

The fact that it uses 14500's only means that you are basically using an Ego-type battery in a different package. Anything you can do with an Ego you will be able to do with the Timber, the two major differences being that you can change out the battery if it runs out, rather than having to move everything to another battery while you recharge, and it looks a lot nicer/cooler/more distinctive than an eGo/kGo/Riva.

If you have specific questions or fears I will be happy to try and help you out, but right now I'm not really sure what you are "afraid" of :)

it is quite beautiful, and BA!

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
as long as you are using IMR batteries, they utilize a safe-chemistry.
They won't explode, they will only melt, and it doesn't happen at all really.
If your buying an electronic mod that has a screen or that allows you to change voltage...
The mod has protection built in to stop an IMR battery from melting before it even begins.
So you really dont need to worry too much about the battery if your not doing anything weird.
You can drip all you'd like. You just need an atomizer to drip.

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca
as long as you are using IMR batteries, they utilize a safe-chemistry.
They won't explode, they will only melt, and it doesn't happen at all really.
If your buying an electronic mod that has a screen or that allows you to change voltage...
The mod has protection built in to stop an IMR battery from melting before it even begins.
So you really dont need to worry too much about the battery if your not doing anything weird.
You can drip all you'd like. You just need an atomizer to drip.

Looking at wood box mod with trustfires. Honestly all I want to do is drip and use sub tank. Will look lovely at fair.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
I read the battery Q&A (can PM link to exact one) , it said smaller batteries are unable to hold enough current for attys (I use a 306 NR atty with 510 threading) It also mentioned smaller batteries also being far less safe than the larger ones. Things of that nature.

Please post the link. I am at work right now and can't address all the problems with that post, but I'm sure there are enough people in here right now that will be able to correct the "facts" and alleviate your fears :)

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca
I feel alot better now. Thank you all for your replies.
Please post the link. I am at work right now and can't address all the problems with that post, but I'm sure there are enough people in here right now that will be able to correct the "facts" and alleviate your fears :)

This is link

Last edited:

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
I feel alot better now. Thank you all for your replies.

This is link

Just read the whole post--he's cleaned it up a bit since the last time I read it and the "generic" information is a lot more accurate now than I remember it. There are still a few problems with specific details, though.

"Battery size
An important consideration in battery safety is simply the physical size of the battery, and its C rating or safe discharge current. These two factors are linked, as small batteries of any type cannot safely run an atomizer, because they are not capable of supplying sufficient current.

Put simply: a larger battery is a safer battery. This means that a battery of sufficient physical size for the task can be of any type, as it will have sufficient safe capacity. The smallest cell this applies to is the 18500 format.
"

14500s are generally 600mah to 900mah. 18500s are generally 800mah to 1100mah. Already there is overlap--if an 800mah 18500 is "safe," why not a 900mah 14500? Also, Ego-style batteries range from 600 to 1300mah, with most sold being 900 or smaller. According to this post, then, Ego-style batteries are incapable of driving an atomizer. And if an eGo can't drive an atomizer, surely all those stick/cigalikes that top out at 180mah, or the "pen-style" that get up to 300mah would be unable to heat a coil.

"Because of this, we think it may be a good idea to rest batteries after charging them. This advice will not be found in the usual 'reference bibles' on batteries but we see more and different reports than others. Therefore we now advise:

Do not use batteries directly after charging them. Use a set you previously charged, and that have rested for several hours.
"

You do need to rest batteries after charging. This is because the charging process is basically a chemical one, and the batteries need a chance for the chemical matrix to stabilize and recrystallize. It usually takes about 10 minutes, and this information is explicitly mentioned in every "battery bible" I've ever seen. Several hours would be fine, but 15-30 minutes should be, also.

The C rating that he talks about needing to know so much is usually the hardest thing to find out about a specific battery. They are very rarely marked. Look for "High Discharge" or "high rate." Avoid "Low Discharge" or "Low Rate." And as long as you're not going under about 1.7 ohms, any battery that doesn't say "low discharge" should be fine. If your batteries don't say anything related to discharge capabilities, feel them when you put them in the mod. Vape normally for about 10 minutes and then feel your batteries. If they are warm, or at least warmer than they were, find different batteries. Try it again after half an hour--if you're a chain vaper they'll probably be at least a little warm, but they should not be hot. If you're only taking a couple of drags every once in a while and the batteries don't feel any warmer than when you put them in, you're good to go. If they're a little warmer, you're probably okay. If they're actually warm, you may want to get other batteries just to be on the safe side, depending on how paranoid you are. I use high-drains and sometimes vape them until they're hot--I just let them cool down a bit and I've never had a problem.

If you're using protected batteries you don't need to worry as the protection is against over-discharge--the battery will shut down before it becomes dangerous (as long as the internal circuitry functions properly). The batteries Mom and Pop sell will be fine with any commercially-available atomizer. And they are protected so they will simply cut-out if you're using a rebuildable and your coil is too low.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Yes, well, when you're first learning about something, the sheer glut of information can be overwhelming anyway. And when there are so many discussions throwing out opinions as facts (as in the case of many battery discussions, or atomizer/cartomizer comparisons) it can get downright confusing.

And anytime you have questions, feel free to ask here. There is quite a wide variety of vaping styles represented here, and if someone can't answer your question there will at least be someone who can point out where you can find an answer :laugh:

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
I have no idea how long the batteries will last you. It depends on your vaping style (light, moderate, heavy) as well as the resistance of the cartomizers and the mah of the battery. I know some people say they can get almost a full day from one. Personally I use 18650s because they'll usually last me a day--but I've known of people getting two or three days from them.

If you tell me what you're using now and how long it usually lasts, I can make a rough estimate based on the relative mah ratings. And there are a few people in here that use the 14500s, so maybe they'll pop in and let us know how long batteries generally last for them...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread