Warning: Fake aw batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I was informed directly by AW that there are counterfeit AW IMR 18650's on the market. Based on my testing, i believe the counterfeit battery to possibly be a Unprotected lithium ion chemistry, not the chemistry of a IMR. Unprotected lithium ion batteries, if shorted, can have catostrophic failure.

I was sent one of the counterfeits and was able to load test it vs. a real AW IMR 18650. I tested at 2.5 amps, which simulates the load of a LR 1.5ohm atomizer. The AW held up to .2 tenths higher voltage under load and recorded an actual tested mAh of 1513. The countefeit did not hold voltage under load as well (down up to .2 tenths voltage) and recorded an uncharacteristically high 2054 mAh (rated at 1600mah) and displays a graph very similar to trustfire/ultrafire lithium ions i have tested.

Real AW IMRS have a protruding button top, not flat top. Also, the AW sticker on the Real AW batteries is slightly larger then the fakes and the wrapper is a bit deeper red and the font slightly thicker and darker on the real AW's.

FakeIMR.jpg

Real AW IMR on Bottom, Fake AW IMR on top:

FakeIMR2.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I was sent one of the counterfeits and was able to load test it vs. a real AW IMR 18650. ...

This is why I like to buy from your company.

Because you take a Proactive role in the products you sell instead of just chucking things in a box and slapping a shipping label on it.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
So you are a AW direct reseller ? Meaning you only source your AW's from AW itself and not other wholesalers. Just looking for direct retailers to add to my book.

Yes, we are an authorized dealer of AW batteries and all our AW batteries come directly from AW.

Mr.JcP

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Taxsachusetts
Yes, we are an authorized dealer of AW batteries and all our AW batteries come directly from AW.
Good stuff to know. After I posted I relied I meant to say distributor and not wholesaler but you know what I meant.. and had the answer I was looking for. Ill be ordering after the holiday surge is done. Happy Happy Marry Merry to you and yours ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread