RDA Warning for Dot Mod Petri RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

nclay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2014
California
I will put this here since mine is also a warning. This is going to be long winded, sorry, but for a $100 rda it needs to be put out there.

I was very much looking forward to getting this rda, since everyone (I have seen) that has one raves about it. Well I got mine yesterday, and the level of disappointment is huge. I take it out of the packaging, looks awesome. As with everything I receive, I inspect it and get it ready for an initial cleaning. I take out the screws in the deck and gently try and work the delrin up over the posts. I notice the positive post is also loose from just taking out the screws in the deck, didn't think anything about it at first. So I figure out I can pull the positive post up with the deck. As I'm working it up the 510 pin (that I haven't touched to this point) drops out the bottom. Again, didn't think anything about it at this point since I just got it and don't yet understand the design.

So I get the deck off with the positive post and the design makes sense to me now. 510 pin screws into the positive which is offset, okay, simple 2 post concept. Now I'm thinking, why didn't I need to unscrew the 510 pin to release the positive post...hmmmm. So I reassemble it, push the deck down flush, put the 510 pin in and it just spins, never catching the positive post. I push down on the deck, thinking maybe the tolerances are just really close, nope, nothing I did allowed it to catch the threads. So I remove the delrin deck and try to attach the 510 pin and positive post without it. Nada, and now I can see the 510 screw is halfway through the threads on the positive post but not threading. Well ****, that is obviously stripped out.

I get errors can happen, and if that was the only thing, I could probably have just RMA'd it for another, I mean how often do you need to remove the 510 pin. As I was putting it back together I noticed the negative post was off center. I'm thinking, that's odd, isn't it milled into the deck?? I take a closer look and it is in fact NOT milled into the deck. So I attempt to center the post, that I am able to twist it with my fingers. Well this can't be good, how long is this going to hold up when I will be torquing the screws all the time. As I am turning the post, it ******* just pops off!?!?! Whaaaaat? The negative post is PRESS FIT on to a very small milled post on the deck....really?? To make it even worse, that milled connection is round, so it is just a matter of time before that negative post loosens up and spins. There is nothing to hold it in place but hope and prayers. If you are going to make that design decision, wouldn't a square press fit connection make a ton more sense....ugh. The negative post should be milled into the deck, why make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Anyway, needless to say, it is getting returned for a refund and my search continues for a functional 2 post RDA. I also ordered from Local Vape, who didn't give me any issue returning it, at least not at this point.

tl;dr
Showed up with stripped positive post.
Negative post is press fit to the deck onto a round milled piece on the deck.
Nice to look at, but not likely to last due to design.
Save your money.

The neg post on my petri v1 started to spin and eventually fell out. I had originally thought that the post was press fit on to the deck but this is not the case. The post is spot welded onto the deck, poorly. When my petri was working i thought it was the best RDA I've ever tried... and I've tried a lot of RDAS. Its simple like the tugboat, but even simpler, its got that perfect airflow. I emailed DOTMOD about my problem and they said to ship them the deck and they would replace it. I decided to purchase a V1.5 in the meantime, i really do like this atty that much.

Reactions: Caterpiller

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
It's a great atty, I've had mine for a few months, no flaws at all. I got it literally two weeks before they announced the v1.5, and I had been waiting to buy it lol. When I saw the v1.5 announcement my head nearly exploded because I thought to myself "I waited all this time to get the Petri and NOW they release the updated version?! Just my luck," haha. Dotmod has great CS if there's something wrong with your atty I'm sure they'll fix the deck issues on the faulty run they had. It's a great atty when there aren't any issues with it. Simple design, easy build deck, juice well is super deep. I love my Petri. But for the people having issues, contact the place you ordered from or Dotmod. I've heard of people going to localvape with their issue and they literally tell them to return it and they ship a replacement right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread