Was Vaping Happening Before Feb. 15th 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porrn-Hair

Verified Member
Jan 2, 2013
New York City
FDA to require substantial equivalence reviews for new tobacco products

Just wanna get my Ducks in order...

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced today that certain tobacco products introduced or changed after Feb. 15, 2007 must be reviewed by the agency. In FDA guidance published today, the agency outlines a pathway for marketing a product whereby the company marketing the product must prove that it is “substantially equivalent” to products commercially available on Feb. 15, 2007.

“Substantially equivalent” means ???

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
“Substantially equivalent” means ???

Back in 2007, from what I've read, the only hardware available were cigalike rechargeable batteries, atomizers and cartridges. There was a small selection of e-liquid flavors around, but not the plethora of them we now enjoy, and most were not as good as what we have now.

The real sticking point was the hardware. The cigalike batteries were around 150-180 mAh, so you had to carry a bunch of them to get through the day. Variable voltage / variable wattage? What are those? Cartridges, for those who are unfamiliar with them, were tubes you fitted onto the ends of atomizers. They were stuffed with aquarium fish-filter foam, into which you dripped maybe 0.3-0.4 ml. of e-liquid. Needless to say, you had to reload the cartridges quite frequently, so you carried at least one bottle of e-liquid with you. Juice delivery with such a system ranged from flooded to dry from drag to drag, and you had little to no control. In general, atomizers lasted about as long as a head in a Vivi Nova, and cleaning one could have an uncertain result. If one popped or got terminally crudded up, you spent $8.00 to $10.00 to replace it.

In short, the state-of-the-art vaping experience was somewhat worse than what you get with Blus and similar today.

Last edited:

rebchad

Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Alabama
Back in 2007, from what I've read, the only hardware available were cigalike rechargeable batteries, atomizers and cartridges. There was a small selection of e-liquid flavors around, but not the plethora of them we now enjoy, and most were not as good as what we have now.

The real sticking point was the hardware. The cigalike batteries were around 150-180 mAh, so you had to carry a bunch of them to get through the day. Variable voltage / variable wattage? What are those? Cartridges, for those who are unfamiliar with them, were tubes you fitted onto the ends of atomizers. They were stuffed with aquarium fish-filter foam, into which you dripped maybe 0.3-0.4 ml. of e-liquid. Needless to say, you had to reload the cartridges quite frequently, so you carried at least one bottle of e-liquid with you. Juice delivery with such a system ranged from flooded to dry from drag to drag, and you had little to no control. In general, atomizers lasted about as long as a head in a Vivi Nova, and cleaning one could have an uncertain result. If one popped or got terminally crudded up, you spent $8.00 to $10.00 to replace it.

In short, the state-of-the-art vaping experience was somewhat worse than what you get with Blus and similar today.

you are correct the atomizer had a big bridge that was very hard to pop with those cig like batteries. You pick them up at the mall. 2 batteries a dripping atomizer,5 pre-filled cartidges , a charger all for about 150.00 bucks. You had to order youe e-juice from cina. Which back then could make you sick (first hand experiance) In turn all the hassle would cause you to go back to smoking again. back then is nothing compared to what we have today.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
^^^

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention how much the inferior technology and e-liquids cost back then! That was a huge turn-off for me: at that point, vaping was actually more expensive than smoking, even in a high-tax state like Illinois.

Another thing about cartridges (I came to vaping just as cartridges were becoming obsolete, so I have some experience with them). Because there was so little control over the amount of e-liquid, fairly often unvaporized e-liquid would come out of the little hole on the mouth end of the cartridge. Then you got a little blister wherever the e-liquid touched. Very often I had several blisters going on my tongue and a bunch on my lips. Another big turn-off -- those blisters stung!

Last edited:

Unc1987

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2013
North Carolina
Depends how you define vaping. I know rj Reynolds experimented with it starting in the 90's. I think maybe Phillip Morris as well. Rj Reynolds had a product called eclipse. Here are some links:

http://snus-news.blogspot.com/2010/03/vermont-jude-rules-against-rj-reynolds.html?m=1
Eclipse - Tobacco Products
The Mystery of Philip Morris' Nicotine Inhaler - Los Angeles Times

Just looked it up, Phillip Morris had a product called the accord. I think they were quite expensive and introduced before smoking bans and taxes, and the hardcore anti smoking people became mainstream.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
If the FDA has their way, meet the (legal) future of e-cigarette technology:

penstyle1.gif

bmrdave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Irving, TX
Depends how you define vaping. I know rj Reynolds experimented with it starting in the 90's. I think maybe Phillip Morris as well. Rj Reynolds had a product called eclipse. Here are some links:

http://snus-news.blogspot.com/2010/03/vermont-jude-rules-against-rj-reynolds.html?m=1
Eclipse - Tobacco Products
The Mystery of Philip Morris' Nicotine Inhaler - Los Angeles Times

Just looked it up, Phillip Morris had a product called the accord. I think they were quite expensive and introduced before smoking bans and taxes, and the hardcore anti smoking people became mainstream.

I remember those. They were like smoking paper. Always gave me a headache.

bmrdave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Irving, TX
i had always wanted to try one, but i dont really remember them being sold around here. weren't they really expensive and didn't contain much nicotine? did it smell like a normal cigarette?

As I recall they cost the same as other "premium" brand smokes, Marlboro, Winston, etc. The smell to me was like the taste, reminded me of burnt paper, but the smell wasn't very strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread