Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Here are the numbers, if your senator is on there, call them. From WA Senate Health Care Subcommittee: Health Care Committee Members & Staff

Committee Members
Senator Room Phone
Becker, Randi (R)
Chair 110 Irv Newhouse Building (360) 786-7602
Dammeier, Bruce (R)
Vice Chair 205 Irv Newhouse Building (360) 786-7648
Cleveland, Annette (D)
Ranking Minority Member 220 John A. Cherberg Building (360) 786-7696
Angel, Jan (R) 203 Irv Newhouse Building (360) 786-7650
Bailey, Barbara (R) 109B Irv Newhouse Building (360) 786-7618
Baumgartner, Michael (R) 404 Legislative Building (360) 786-7610
Brown, Sharon (R) 202 Irv Newhouse Building (360) 786-7614
Conway, Steve (D) 212 John A. Cherberg Building (360) 786-7656
Frockt, David (D) 402 Legislative Building (360) 786-7690
Jayapal, Pramila (D) 224 John A. Cherberg Building (360) 786-7688
Keiser, Karen (D) 219 John A. Cherberg Building (360) 786-7664
Parlette, Linda Evans (R) 305 Legislative Building (360) 786-7622
Rivers, Ann (R) 405 Legislative Building (360) 786-7634

Thank you for Posting this shoreline.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for WA Residents to contact there Reps even if theirs Isn't currently sitting on this Committee.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Having commented on the bill on the Leg site, got no response from my rep.

DID get this from Sen. Becker's office:

Thank you for writing to share your concerns about HB 1645. At this time the bill has passed in the House 59/36 and will now be referred to the senate committees. It will need to receive a hearing in order to progress further. Last year the bills companion in the senate did not receive a hearing. We will share your comments with the senator.

Sincerely,

Tiffani Sanne’, Legislative Assistant to Washington State Senator Randi Becker 2nd District

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Another update:

IN THE SENATE
Feb 16 First reading, referred to Health Care.
Feb 22 Executive action taken in the Senate Committee on Health Care at 10:00 AM.
HLTH - Majority; without recommendation. (Majority Report)
And refer to Ways & Means.
Feb 23 Referred to Ways & Means.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Bill is now on the governor's desk for signature…and vaping dies with a whimper in Washington state
No it's not!

This bill is what passed --> http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/Senate Passed Legislature/6328-S.PL.pdf

And after amendment by the health committee, etc... it's actually quite a good bill.

Not only does it get rid of the taxes, it has a preclusion clause so that no locality can add any. It requires safety warnings on the labels, child-resistant packaging, ID checks (no signature requirement for mail order), requires a license for retailers but fairly inexpensive.

I mean, if we have to have regulations (and we do), this should be the model template that is used. Good job, Washington State.

Angus T Rat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2015
No it's not!

This bill is what passed --> http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/Senate Passed Legislature/6328-S.PL.pdf

And after amendment by the health committee, etc... it's actually quite a good bill.

Not only does it get rid of the taxes, it has a preclusion clause so that no locality can add any. It requires safety warnings on the labels, child-resistant packaging, ID checks (no signature requirement for mail order), requires a license for retailers but fairly inexpensive.

I mean, if we have to have regulations (and we do), this should be the model template that is used. Good job, Washington State.

Excellent if that's the case. I assumed it was still the original form since I've seen very little news about it here.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I am wondering the same thing as @Rossum. Why should there be any regulatory concern
what so ever? The juice is as easy and safe to make as Kool-Aid. There is absolutly no
evidence that any one has been harmed aside from perhaps allergic reactions which
anything can cause or misuse. Second hand vapor is completely harmless.
(sorry worry warts the science is in on this)
One can go on and on about long term studies but, they will never be done as there is
nothing right now to indicate they're needed so no one will fund any. Aroma therapy which
uses base oils that are known to be harmful to humans and their "pets" is under
no such scrutiny.
The biggest single problem that vaping as if there is one is that it is incredibly inherently
safe from the beginning. It as been determined that side by side toxicology tests on cell
tissues comparing smoke with vapor cannot be done as the smoke kills all the cells to
quickly. Tis in and of itself speaks volumes about how safe vaping is.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
I am wondering the same thing as @Rossum. Why should there be any regulatory concern
what so ever? The juice is as easy and safe to make as Kool-Aid. There is absolutly no
evidence that any one has been harmed aside from perhaps allergic reactions which
anything can cause or misuse. Second hand vapor is completely harmless.
(sorry worry warts the science is in on this)
One can go on and on about long term studies but, they will never be done as there is
nothing right now to indicate they're needed so no one will fund any. Aroma therapy which
uses base oils that are known to be harmful to humans and their "pets" is under
no such scrutiny.
The biggest single problem that vaping as if there is one is that it is incredibly inherently
safe from the beginning. It as been determined that side by side toxicology tests on cell
tissues comparing smoke with vapor cannot be done as the smoke kills all the cells to
quickly. Tis in and of itself speaks volumes about how safe vaping is.
Regards
Mike
Did you actually *read* this bill? Because you'll see, they basically agree with you. This has nothing to do with long-term health effects or clean rooms or homeland security. This is about packaging, labels and not selling to minors. This is about doing a minimum to ensure basic safety and restrict access by children.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Did you actually *read* this bill? Because you'll see, they basically agree with you. This has nothing to do with long-term health effects or clean rooms or homeland security. This is about packaging, labels and not selling to minors. This is about doing a minimum to ensure basic safety and restrict access by children.
I wasn't disagreeing with the contents of the bill per say. I was disagreeing with your notion
that we do need regulation.
Even the bill doesn't really do anything. Minors will still get their hands on it.
The bill only opens the way for meaningless compliance checks that requires
expansion of the bureaucracy to collect the fines they will get because compliance
checks are not designed to catch the guilty,they are designed to entrap the young
inexperienced and harried worker. Child safety caps do not work when parents do
not take the rudimentary steps to keep their children from getting their hands
on it in the first place. The chillin' are doing just fine. The chillin' are not guzzling
e-juice like it was naturally organic sun kissed 100% fruit juice made by old hippies
from their sippy cups.
Do you want to protect children? Ban candles and space heaters.
"Children younger than 5 made up 52% of the deaths of children younger than 16 in fires in 2007, "
Report: Half of children killed in fires are under age 5 - USATODAY.com
Making a law to protect a class that needs no protection or rejects such protection out
of hand is meaningless.
Regards
Mike

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Because that's reality. And I prefer to deal with reality. You can stand outside shouting at the clouds all day if you like but that won't stop the rain. Me? I'll grab an umbrella
We should be grabbing an umbrella WHILE shouting at the clouds.
;)

Last edited:

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
While we don't really need 'regulation' having a well written commonsense law such as this one (apparently is) may make it more difficult for the ANTZ to get a bad law (ie Indiana) passed. Politicians are quite busy with more important things such as lining each others pockets:rolleyes: So once they have thumped their chest in self importance once may possibly tell the ANTZ to take a hike if they show up again.

My theory and I'm sticking with it. Plus it will be great ammunition in my home state if our proposed bill resurfaces next year.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I wasn't disagreeing with the contents of the bill per say. I was disagreeing with your notion
that we do need regulation.
Even the bill doesn't really do anything. Minors will still get their hands on it.
The bill only opens the way for meaningless compliance checks that requires
expansion of the bureaucracy to collect the fines they will get because compliance
checks are not designed to catch the guilty,they are designed to entrap the young
inexperienced and harried worker. Child safety caps do not work when parents do
not take the rudimentary steps to keep their children from getting their hands
on it in the first place. The chillin' are doing just fine. The chillin' are not guzzling
e-juice like it was naturally organic sun kissed 100% fruit juice made by old hippies
from their sippy cups.
Do you want to protect children? Ban candles and space heaters.
"Children younger than 5 made up 52% of the deaths of children younger than 16 in fires in 2007, "
Report: Half of children killed in fires are under age 5 - USATODAY.com
Making a law to protect a class that needs no protection or rejects such protection out
of hand is meaningless.
Regards
Mike

Well, age 0 to 5 makes up 1/3 of the children under age 18. They are the least mobile and the least aware of what to do.

Reactions: Kenna

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Well, age 0 to 5 makes up 1/3 of the children under age 18. They are the least mobile and the least aware of what to do.
Toddlers between the age of 2 up to 4 are the most vulnerable and most likely
to find things that are left carelessly about. Child resistant caps may deter some
toddlers but the most important factor is keeping potentially harmful things
out of their reach in the first place. It is interesting to note the only child thought
to have died from nicotine poisoning from e-juice got a hold of a bottle of Nic base
where the child resistant cap had gone completely missing. According to the police
report none was ever found.
Regards
Mike

Reactions: BuGlen

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Oh wait... You're gonna have to be 21 to buy e-Liquids and Vape Gear.
In a previous life I sold certain things to certain people.

If I needed money I could see doing that in the future with nicotine.
But thankfully, I no longer need that kind of money.

So I'll keep what I have for now.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread