Washington State (Urgent) Call to Action! Take Action now to Oppose HB 2211 an unjustifiable 60% tax on vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
HB 2211 would enact an unjustifiable extra tax of 60% of sales price on vapor products -- liquids and devices. (Imagine paying $32.00 for your next 30ml bottle of e-liquid or $160.00 for your next $100 mod.)

This bill has been scheduled for a hearing in the House Finance Committee

Please make plans to attend this hearing.*

Please take action now by sending a fully editable email to members of the committee and your district representative urging them to oppose this bill

*Even if you are not planning to testify, your attendance is important as it demonstrates the many people affected by and engaged in this issue. (As a sign of respect, we ask that you refrain from vaping in the building.)

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to Call to Action: CASAA: Washington State (Urgent) Call to Action! Take Action now to Oppose HB 2211 an unjustifiable 60% tax on vapor products

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
Done.

From reading the bill it is my understanding that they dropped the internet sells and purchase restriction.

The question I posed to my rep who is very much against this bill was "where did the focus on preventing minor use go on this issue?"

It is all about the tax dollars and balancing the budget now.

What a joke but then again it is Washington state and nothing surprises me anymore. Honestly I thought the original bill would pass.

I believe it would have passed had it not been for the constituents that showed up and were heard. I was very impressed with how the vaping community conducted themselves and articulated their points.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
I viewed the hearing they had on Friday, one thing that I heard one of the speakers say that this tax is hardware also. What part of a tube mod contains tobacco and or nicotine? Will there be a uprising of Flashlight shops in WA that also sell vape products? The money grab is in Washington. At least in Ohio where I live they are only looking to tax the juices (not that I agree with that.).

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Substitute Bill HB 1645 scheduled for hearing 4/7 at 9AM with no public announcement
HB 1645 - 2015-16

Here's a selection of the features of this bill:

Imposes onerous licensing, shipping, and labeling requirements (+ childproof packaging)
Hands oversight of vaping business to the failed WA liquor control board, including the ability to limit flavors and contents
Sec 15: Prohibits improvements in vaping tech that would make ecigs more effective for cessation, such as adding chemicals that would improve efficiency of nicotine delivery
Sec 25 vendor fees: Distributor: $650 + $115 for each add'l location; Retailer: $93 per location

HOWEVER
Sec 22 preempts local authorities from imposing additional restrictions on sale and use of ecigs, which means cities and towns in WA will not be permitted to restrict vaping (such as indoor use bans).

Interesting dilemma. Should we support or oppose this bill? Sure, WA vendors would be inconvenienced, but the preemption of local use restrictions could be valuable.

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
Substitute Bill HB 1645 scheduled for hearing 4/7 at 9AM with no public announcement
HB 1645 - 2015-16

Imposes onerous licensing, shipping, and labeling requirements (+ childproof packaging)
Hands oversight of vaping business to the failed WA liquor control board, including the ability to limit flavors and contents
Sec 15: Prohibits improvements in vaping tech that would make ecigs more effective for cessation, such as adding chemicals that would improve efficiency of nicotine delivery
Sec 25 vendor fees: Distributor: $650 + $115 for each add'l location; Retailer: $93 per location

HOWEVER
Sec 22 preempts local authorities from imposing additional restrictions on sale and use of ecigs, which means cities and towns in WA will not be permitted to restrict vaping (such as indoor use bans).

Interesting dilemma. Should we support or oppose this bill? Sure, WA vendors would be inconvenienced, but the preemption of local use restrictions could be valuable.

Its a tough call. Theres some good in this bill and bad. I don't like the idea of anything that will potentially limit distribution and flavors but we have to face the reality that some form of state legislation at some point is inevitable almost everywhere. As a former Washington resident I feel for you guys. We have our own problems here in Oregon as well. Some of my favorite vendors are in WA state and I don't want to see them get burned. Don't quit fighting and be cautious.

A lot of these bills can pave the way for more serious and harmful restrictions if implemented.

Last edited:

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
such as adding chemicals that would improve efficiency of nicotine delivery

That one I totally agree with the provision and that is the kind of regulation that I'm in favor of. No one needs added chemicals to boost nicotine - that's what the tobacco companies did, to make nicotine vastly more addictive than it is naturally.

And vaping tech has already improved nic efficiency without chemicals via hardware. Blu < Evod < Nautilus < Atlantis plus the underlying power from Blu < ego < VV twist < istick , etc...

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
HB 1645 - 2015-16

HOWEVER

My take on this is that it is bad. One swoop from above and all locals are ruled?

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
That one I totally agree with the provision and that is the kind of regulation that I'm in favor of. No one needs added chemicals to boost nicotine - that's what the tobacco companies did, to make nicotine vastly more addictive than it is naturally.

And vaping tech has already improved nic efficiency without chemicals via hardware. Blu < Evod < Nautilus < Atlantis plus the underlying power from Blu < ego < VV twist < istick , etc...

Why does it matter if you improve nicotine delivery via hardware or via modifying e-liquid chemistry? The reason MODs work better than cigalikes is because they're better and faster at delivering nicotine.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
Ok I am so confused. I just checked the Pink Lung Brigade's site and just an hour ago it was posted that HB1645 (the draconian 95% tax, all banned Internet sales, etc.) passed to the House. I thought that bill had been relatively stripped and that HB2211 had been introduced in lieu. So now HB1645 is back? Or it actually never went away?

How can there be two bills introduced to tax e-cigs at the same time? Is that even so?

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Last edited:

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
HB 1645-S2 adopted by House Finance Committee going to House floor for full vote

https://app.leg.wa.gov/CMD/Handler....umentcontent&documentId=wycel0TfJz4&att=false

This bill is an atrocity:
  • prohibits online sales
  • prohibits in-store tasting
  • sets up onerous fees on vendors and distributors
  • hands regulatory authority to the failed WA liquor control board and sanctimonious parasites in the Dept of Health

HB 1645 - 2015-16

It *is* an atrocity. Despicable!
DrMA, you must be livid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread