Washington State (Urgent) Call to Action! Take Action now to Oppose HB 2211 an unjustifiable 60% tax on vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorT

Unregistered Supplier
Feb 18, 2015
Seattle, WA
HB 1645-S2 adopted by House Finance Committee going to House floor for full vote

https://app.leg.wa.gov/CMD/Handler....umentcontent&documentId=wycel0TfJz4&att=false

This bill is an atrocity:
  • prohibits online sales
  • prohibits in-store tasting
  • sets up onerous fees on vendors and distributors
  • hands regulatory authority to the failed WA liquor control board and sanctimonious parasites in the Dept of Health

HB 1645 - 2015-16

It isn't just an atrocity, it is downright draconian. Online Purchasing vaping supplies or even parts that can be used for vaping would become a Felony with a (max) of a $5000 fine attached to it.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
It *is* an atrocity. Despicable!
DrMA, you must be livid.

Words cannot describe my rage and disgust towards this bill that essentially hands the WA vaping business to Big Tobacco on a silver platter.

CCFNArHWgAEmudh.jpg:large

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
I did not read where they snuck the internet restriction back into the sub bill. This passes and I am cutting way back on my vaping. I just placed my order yesterday for Snus in anticipation of this. First order in a year, so back to that habit. Besides I can do it anywhere I want. I will still vape occasionally but I am not going to DIY because of this and if I cannot get the juice I enjoy I will use up what I have and wash my hands of it.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
WA House Finance Cmte 4/3/15 hearing on cigarette protection bill (HB 2211) that would impose 60% tax on vapor products; ban flavorings and Internet sales is at:
TVW v3 (starts 1:25.56)

In sum, vaping/health/business advocates told the truth about vaping and the bill’s devastating impacts, while opponents falsely accused e-cig companies of marketing to youth and falsely claimed the bill protects children and public health. Surprisingly, WA Health Director John Wiesman finally admitted that vaping is less harmful than smoking. “I agree, that for the adult smoker, who has not successfully quit tobacco, or has no intention of quitting, fully switching to vaping is a less harmful alternative with what we know today”

Please note that the WA House cannot pass contradictory legislation (i.e. two different bills that impose different rules for vaping products), and that any differences in House Committee approved bills will need to be reconciled before the full House can approve anti vaping legislation.

Similarly, any differences between a House approved bill and a Senate approved bill would need to be reconciled before the legislation can be enacted and sent to the governor.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
It isn't just an atrocity, it is downright draconian. Online Purchasing vaping supplies or even parts that can be used for vaping would become a Felony with a (max) of a $5000 fine attached to it.
And, what happens to those who have a small supply of supplies, already on hand ????

And, a big Thank You Bill for posting here, and helping us understand what's going on

Last edited:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
WA House Finance Cmte 4/3/15 hearing on cigarette protection bill (HB 2211) that would impose 60% tax on vapor products; ban flavorings and Internet sales is at:
TVW v3 (starts 1:25.56)

In sum, vaping/health/business advocates told the truth about vaping and the bill’s devastating impacts, while opponents falsely accused e-cig companies of marketing to youth and falsely claimed the bill protects children and public health. Surprisingly, WA Health Director John Wiesman finally admitted that vaping is less harmful than smoking. “I agree, that for the adult smoker, who has not successfully quit tobacco, or has no intention of quitting, fully switching to vaping is a less harmful alternative with what we know today”

Please note that the WA House cannot pass contradictory legislation (i.e. two different bills that impose different rules for vaping products), and that any differences in House Committee approved bills will need to be reconciled before the full House can approve anti vaping legislation.

Similarly, any differences between a House approved bill and a Senate approved bill would need to be reconciled before the legislation can be enacted and sent to the governor.

Looks to me HB 2211 died in committee on 4/3
HB 2211 - 2015-16
Am I missing something?

However, HB 1645 (banning internet sales) advanced and will be heard on the House floor
HB 1645 - 2015-16

Companion bill SB 5573 wasn't even heard in committee, so it's de facto dead (unless deemed NTIB).

Last edited:

Zippoz

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2013
PNW
I haven't been here for quite some time, but I just read the MBV email discussing the revised HB 1645 bill and was LIVID. I emailed every single one of the representatives they listed. Unfortunately I don't think that I have the composure to call them at this point. I simply CANNOT BELIEVE this is happening in my own state. Banning internet sales!? That will kill at least 3 retailers in this state immediately. Banning ecig related products? Absolutely unenforceable and wasteful. Imagine bogus court cases where people are required to prove they were using kanthal or cotton (!!!) for something other than ecigs. Additionally, the new bill allows the state to ban any substance in eliquid at will. Right, like they will be able to competently do that.... It also provides for any locale to ban at will. There will be pockets where people will simply keep smoking. One of the most despicable measures is the one that would require retailers to keep record of the name, phone, and address, of each customer, as well as the products they purchased for a minimum of FIVE YEARS. That is a BLATANT intrusion of privacy, and a HUGE waste. They are ecigs, not F*%&# firearms. What fricking ahole comes up with this crap?

I only hope I'm not too late.

:mad:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Last edited:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
did not receive floor votes in either chamber
I'm assuming you mean that it was voted on and didn't pass ... not enough yeah votes, too many "nays" ??
So it's been rejected ??? :hubba:
I'm almost afraid to believe such good news :danger: there's got to be a "catch",
then again, ... maybe they did listen to us :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread