RDA We Out Here Doe RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
So i got myself a small rda for my first and i just installed some Claptons, Ohm on them is 0.5 (Ohm check when freshly built, checked again after glowing and adjusting and checked a third time after wicking. Too much checking?) I will be using this on my RX Mini 80w mod. and i was wondering what wattage range is a good starting point, aswell as genereal tips on how to fiddle around with your rda.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
IMO there is no such thing as too much checking when you are setting up your coils. As for wattage I guess I have a few questions first. Just double checking but it sounds like you're running dual coil set up(2 claptons) correct? What RDA are you using(has no effect on wattage, just like gear talk lol). What guage is the inner wire in the claptons and what guage is the outer wire? I would imagine that starting in the 40W-50W range and slowly increasing one or 2 watts at a time, until you find the sweet spot would work for you.

Tinkering with your atty once you've got it set and wicked isnt something I would do. Different story when you are changing wicks, always check to make sure the coils are still firing simulatneously and evenly, and adjust as needed, straighten them out, etc.

Im sure the more experienced team will show up with a ton of great advice as well! Cheers!

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
IMO there is no such thing as too much checking when you are setting up your coils. As for wattage I guess I have a few questions first. Just double checking but it sounds like you're running dual coil set up(2 claptons) correct? What RDA are you using(has no effect on wattage, just like gear talk lol). What guage is the inner wire in the claptons and what guage is the outer wire? I would imagine that starting in the 40W-50W range and slowly increasing one or 2 watts at a time, until you find the sweet spot would work for you.

Tinkering with your atty once you've got it set and wicked isnt something I would do. Different story when you are changing wicks, always check to make sure the coils are still firing simulatneously and evenly, and adjust as needed, straighten them out, etc.

Im sure the more experienced team will show up with a ton of great advice as well! Cheers!

It´s a We Out Here Doe RDA, and yes it´s a dual coil setup, see picture. Inner is 3mil and for outer i have no idea. It´s prewrapped/built coils. So all info besides what ohm it is i had to get myself by examining them.

For some reason it doesnt fire. I was going to glow them and adjust some stufferino but it wont glow at all. I took the RDA to my vapeshop and they couldnt get it to glow or anything either. I´m starting to wonder if i have done something wrong. For some reason it jumps between ohms, I just popped it in my ohmreader and it said 4.9 ohm.... Then i took it off and unscrewed the postscrews and tightened them again, giving me my 0.29. I´ll post a pic so you can check it out.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Hmmm, it looks like the coil on the right is positioned a little high and the lead is pressing against the post. If you are able to change the resistance by adjusting the screws then its likely an issue with the leads not being connected properly. I dont have much experience with clapton coils but I have heard of some people unwinding some of the outer wire so that inner wire connects properly to the post.

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
Hmmm, it looks like the coil on the right is positioned a little high and the lead is pressing against the post. If you are able to change the resistance by adjusting the screws then its likely an issue with the leads not being connected properly. I dont have much experience with clapton coils but I have heard of some people unwinding some of the outer wire so that inner wire connects properly to the post.

I´m wondering if i should throw these coils off and try to get in some new ones, sitting more flush and not touching the poles. I adjusted these now and i get a stable 0.3, wich is what i was going for. The question is if it will glow once on the mod. Should i try to glow them and see if it works? It´s a regulated mod so hopwfully it wont let me do anything dumb ^^

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
If you are getting the resistance you want consistently and everything looks as it should then yes, you can try firing them to see if they glow evenly starting from the middle. I would recommend using freshly charged batteries in your mod and doing a few pulses first to make sure there are no shorts in the coils themselves. A regulated mod should have protection against firing shorted coils or attys which could be why you werent getting any response out of the coils before. After testing them out its never a bad idea to load the atty back on to your ohm meter and double checking on your resistance.

Hope it all works out for you! Best of luck!

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
If you are getting the resistance you want consistently and everything looks as it should then yes, you can try firing them to see if they glow evenly starting from the middle. I would recommend using freshly charged batteries in your mod and doing a few pulses first to make sure there are no shorts in the coils themselves. A regulated mod should have protection against firing shorted coils or attys which could be why you werent getting any response out of the coils before. After testing them out its never a bad idea to load the atty back on to your ohm meter and double checking on your resistance.

Hope it all works out for you! Best of luck!

Well, it still fiddles so when i was at my vapeshop today i copped myself a Pharaoh. Easy, simple and i just popped in a single fused Clapton, Ohming at .4 wich gives me exactly what i want @50 watts. :D Still gonna keep fiddling with the We Out Here Doe as i wanna try a true dripper and not the psudo-dripper that the Pharaoh is.

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
Okey. So here´s what i did. I took it all apart, cleaned it and checked every single thread, the two insulators and the 510. No problemo there. Assembled it again and popped a dual coil build in it (Claptons) and put it into my ohm reader. It ohmed out at .4. I then put it on 3 different mods and it read it as .4 aswell.

I then started to glow it @30-35 watts. Instantly it changed to .3 and only 1 coil heated up. I strummed and pinched the non-glowing one a bit but without result.

I have no idea what´s going on here....

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
After looking at your picture, the legs are longer on the right coil. They must be a Mirror identical pair.
The interior also looks bumpy & ill shaped.

Was the coil that didn't glow, give off any heat?
Try the coils one at a time, glow? Stable resistance?.

I threw out the ones that are in the picture and tried with different type of coils, all of them shaped to be mirror images of eachother. The resistance was all over the show, changed up and down. I tried them on two different ohmreaders (Mini Tab from GeekVape and a noname reader) and it gave me different readings. I popped the RDA on a mod and it gave me a third reading.

Next step is to, as you are saying, try them one at a time. It´s just that i´ve got a handfull other RDA´s wich works just fine so i haven´t been experimenting with this one anymore. BUt i´ll pop in another build and see what happens.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
What a nightmare, i have a true hybrid,, A Siam from years ago.
I get continuity, voltage, wont fire. Switch fine won't fire. Ad nauseum..

You said you took the posts out? No damage?
Although in theory parallel should work easily on a 2 poster, I've never liked it on a dual coil setup with 'thick' wires.
Did you try with a pair of Slick wire 28awg?

There is the 'Angst' factor. May want to put it down for a while..

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
Allright. So i´ve tried building it single coil and it´s still all F´d. I tried 4 different coils with 4 different resistances and it still jumps up and down like a ....-head Kangaroo. Too clarify, the things i tried reading it on was a Tab, a Alien mod and a Coilmaster Ohmreader. Three different mods/readers, wich gave me different readings every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread