retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
There has been mention by some of the membership that they use WoT. If you're using the browser addon, remove it immediately.

It has come to light that WoT has been blatantly selling user info gleaned from the addon including your email address.

Mozilla stops distribution of WOT addon | Hacker News

Web of Trust (WOT) Add-on taken down by Google and Mozilla after reports of selling Users browsing history | Techdows

It's hinted that Ghostery and Adblock Plus may be doing something similar. I'll do some digging to see if this is true.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
There has been mention by some of the membership that they use WoT. If you're using the browser addon, remove it immediately.

It has come to light that WoT has been blatantly selling user info gleaned from the addon including your email address.

Mozilla stops distribution of WOT addon | Hacker News

Web of Trust (WOT) Add-on taken down by Google and Mozilla after reports of selling Users browsing history | Techdows

It's hinted that Ghostery and Adblock Plus may be doing something similar. I'll do some digging to see if this is true.
Thank you!

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
The problem with Ghostery is they, too, collect data. While you must "opt-in" in order to allow them to do anything with it, how many other companies out there have said the same thing, only to change things to their advantage afterwards?

I'd much prefer that they do not collect data at all unless you expressly give them permission to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread