Weight Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
I've been vaping about 4 months and in that time i've gained about 55 pounds. Has anyone else experienced this? Other causes could be I stopped drinking around the same time and I'm also a recovering addict but i've been clean over a year so I don't believe that to be the cause of my weight. I'm curious if vaping could cause this but even if it does I believe it's worth it compared to other problems I faced with traditional cigarettes

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've not seen this at all. Quite the opposite, actually.

In fact, I've known a few individuals who were not smokers or vapers who took upon vaping 0-nicotine flavors to curb their appetites. One couple were professional bodybuilders looking for something to curb their sweet tooth while in heavy training with strict diets for a competition.

A weight gain of 55 pounds over only a 4 month period of time is alarming. There might be something else going on.

Last edited:

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I have seen a few people say they gained a few pounds, but not the amount you are declaring. Possible reasons - food taste better now so you are eating more, cravings from tobacco withdrawal, etc. There is no, at least not to my knowledge, reason for weight gain to be associated to ecigs.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I promise I'm not exaggerating at all. I had to buy new pants and just this morning I got another belt. I hope it's just a combination of all the bad things I've stopped doing.
I'm not questioning your sincerety. I'm not judging you at all, but addictive personalities often substitute one addiction for another. Maybe yours is now overeating.

erratum

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Kansas City
Jason,

It took me a while to start to get my "Recovery belly". I got clean in December of '04 at a whopping 110 LB. A year later, I was 135 LB & now, 10 years down the road, I weigh in at 195 LB.

Depends what you were abusing ... what your eating habits were because of it ... what meds you are on now if any ... metabolism changes due to age ...

... lots of factors "weigh" in on the issue.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
If you were drinking, smoking, and doing other recreational activities and you stopped all of them around the same time.. It's only natural to gain weight. Baditude hit the nail on the head, you've probably replaced those addictions with a food addiction. The thing about food is you normally don't notice that you're eating more or not eating well. Not to mention quitting alcohol and other activities can really lead to lower levels of the chemicals in your brain that make you "feel good" for a while. That often leads people to sit around more and exercise less.
It's always easier to gain than it is to lose. You really don't have to think about anything to put weight on 10 pounds at a time. You have to concentrate and work hard to lose weight ounces at a time.

Start writing down your calorie intake. Look up your BMR and keep under that. If you don't currently, start working out at least 3 times a week. You'll shed weight as long as you do that. It can be hard, but I've personally found the addiction to food can healthily be transferred to an addiction to a healthy lifestyle. Just takes time and effort.

I've had a long history of battling weight. In highschool my weight topped out at around 400 pounds. Since then I've been up and I've been down. I do my best to keep under a certain amount of calories, I work out as much as I can and I drink a ton of water. I'm down to between 220 and 240 pounds now, a much better weight for my height and body size.

Reactions: Baditude

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Been tobacco free and vaping exclusively for over a year and haven't gained a single pound. My wife actually lost weight since she started vaping, largely because she has become more physically active since she felt better.

A weight gain of nearly 14 pounds per month would indicate a significant increase in the amount of food you eat or a massive decrease in the amount of exercise you get. It's not something you could attribute to simply stopping other bad habits, unless one of those bad habits also drastically reduced the amount of food you ate.

LeftofCenter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
Front Royal, VA, USA
I have gained about 10 pounds in the last 3 months. In my case I think I am eating more and I am definitely less active since my job leaves very little "me" time.

My neighbor started vaping a few months ago and I have seen his weight shoot up dramatically! I can't say why though as I am not going to say "Hey there, I see you're gaining a lot of weight, what gives?"

Reactions: Ohm Gnome

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
to ecf. Nice to meet you Jason and so glad that you are here. First of all, congrats on the vaping. I am so sorry you are having this problem. I actually lost weight when I started vaping. A lot had to do with the fact I felt better and started walking. I think it would be wise to consult you physician on the matter of that much weight gain. I did that at one time and finally a doctor listened to me and found out I had hypo-thyroidism. I was also extremely tired and my skin and hair was very dry. It might be worth checking out.

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing. We're a caring bunch.
tender.gif

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Weight gain is about consuming more calories than your body uses. Simple solution is to track every calorie you eat in a day; you'd be surprised at how many we can cram into our mouths without feeling too full and just as surprised to see how few calories are actually required in a given day!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryedan

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Temporary Weight gain is common side-affect of both quitting cigarettes and some drug habits. Being that certain drug habit tend to make you NOT eat. Would think quitting drinking would lead to weight loss, but I have no personal experience there. I don't drink enough to quit it.

Now vaping can make you thirstier. If you have increased consumption of sweet drinks to combat the dehydration. You might gain weight as a result of vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread