Weight Gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chokmah

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2009
Austin Texas
Well I havent noticed any real weight changes or gain but then again as you can tell by the picture there

<----- I am a pretty petite woman to begin with. I could afford to gain some weight but havent seen any of it so far. Been vaping since around Feb 5th, quit for 11days at the 1st of March smoked again for 4 days and quit again..

poeticwomyn

Mar 10, 2009
Missouri
Well I havent noticed any real weight changes or gain but then again as you can tell by the picture there

<----- I am a pretty petite woman to begin with. I could afford to gain some weight but havent seen any of it so far. Been vaping since around Feb 5th, quit for 11days at the 1st of March smoked again for 4 days and quit again..
as long as you are using liquids with nic in them you would not see a change. I am not petite, LOL, and I am hoping now that I am on vaping instead of smoking, and the weather is getting better I can ride my bike more than what I did last fall and possibly shed some pounds. We all have our crosses to bear!
on to a more serious note, how is your husband doing? Cancer is a difficult thing to deal with.

chokmah

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2009
Austin Texas
as long as you are using liquids with nic in them you would not see a change. I am not petite, LOL, and I am hoping now that I am on vaping instead of smoking, and the weather is getting better I can ride my bike more than what I did last fall and possibly shed some pounds. We all have our crosses to bear!
on to a more serious note, how is your husband doing? Cancer is a difficult thing to deal with.

Well I am vaping some with nic and some without. I am trying to make my stock last as long as possible. Hubby is feeling under the weather and has been for a few days but has no real symptoms. Hes queezy and tired but no fever, cough or sneezing. He hasnt smoked for 2 days but we will see how that goes when he is feeling better.. Thanks for asking and sorry for hyjacking the thread..

BenJammin

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Richmond Virginia, USA
First off, Wally! Wow, Congratulations! I am celebrating your victory as I one day hope to celebrate my own. I am moved (and that's no mean feat at my current size.)

I've been battling a weight problem all my life, really from childhood on. The only time I ever made it down to my "ideal" weight was in college when I bicycled everywhere and did strength training 3 nights a week (needed the credits) . It also helped that I literally could barely afford to eat, much less overeat. Apparently I have a very low resting metabolic rate. The weight has always returned when my activity level dropped below what you would expect out of a competitive athlete. I found myself snacking more to satisfy the behavioral aspect of our habit. Every single time I have ever quit smoking, the result has always been significant and rapid weight gain. And every time, I found myself returning to the cigarettes to kill the cravings. Tobacco kills, but obesity kills faster and with far less dignity. It seems like our enlightened society not only accepts but encourages the ridicule, scorn, and shunning "Fat People." The platitudes used to justify this hatred are of the same type as those used against smokers, but smokers have the advantage of being able to blend in with the crowd. The Fat Man or Woman stands alone...
Thank you for your patience if you're still with me up to this point.
Here comes the payoff:
I have not gained a single pound since abandoning analogs for vaping. In fact, because of my increased energy and lung capacity I find myself doing more physically active things simply because it no longer hurts to do them. I am not too tired at the end of the day to exercise. I do not hack and cough under exertion. I've been averaging about a pound a week of weight loss for the passed six weeks. It's not much, but it's a start. Now that I can taste my food, it takes less of it to satisfy me. By no means am I saying this will hold true for all e-smokers. But I've never felt better, never had such hope. These gizmos aren't magic wands, but so far they appear to be just the tools I need to reclaim my body from the damage I have done to it. Ultimately, the final battle will come down to me. But now that I'm armed, I know I will win. Again, thank you all.
Vape On!

Last edited:
No weight gain here, but I must say that the first week I was compelled to satisfying my oral anxiety. I was very anxious and a little stressed and when I do, I tend to desire take some fat and sugar thingies.
I eat every 3 hours without exception. If I´m going to miss one middle meal, then I go rapidly to the near store and buy a cereal bar,or a yogurt, and I keep drinking water or no sugar beverages all the time.
I don´t ever have comfort food like KFC, or MacDonald´s, or other high fatty meals (pork, fatty cheese, etc).
Everytime I need to satisfy myself I call my husband! :D
An hour later he cames home with lemon icecream. ;) I´m soooo lucky! :evil:

waywardsister

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Toronto, ON
When I quit smoking cold turkey several years ago, I lost weight at the same time :) Went low carb, which is what works best for my body (verrrry low carb). Lost 30 lbs and haven't gained an ounce since then, no matter how much I eat...but since vaping, I'm up in weight (feels like water retention bc I'm bloated and puffy) and am hungrier than usual, which in my case suggests a blood sugar issue. Wondering if it's from the e-liquid somehow - PG is used to prevent ketosis in cows bc, IIRC, it acts as a glucose precursor, but that's orally and obviously in much larger doses then we're getting here (still breaks down and enters the bloodstream though). Maybe I'm just weird :) It's just REALLY odd for my weight to change at all, ever, unless I eat carby stuff -- and then, exactly what's happening to me now, happens. Puffy, bloaty, water retention & resulting weight increase.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
This is why it was confusing for me when I started vaping, I had all the symptoms of withdrawal especially HUNGER. Confused because we were all thinking we were getting MORE nicotine than with tobacco cigarettes. The report recently posted by KATE (COUPLE DAYS AGO) has put all that in serious question, our absorbtion supposedly drastically lower with e-cigs...I've gained weight even with watching calories, am starving all the time!! Also puffing all the time. We need more corraborating testing. But if that's the case, vaping way better than smoking.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
I quit analogs and took up vaping 8 days ago. I'm eating A LOT!!! Maybe because my taste buds are coming back? I made a batch of peanut butter cookies and ate half of them as soon as they came out of the oven. I don't care if I put on weight, I feel better and have more energy.....to bake things.

I'm not having much luck with my Double Bacon Cheeseburger diet either.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
About says:

Nicotine and Insulin

Nicotine also inhibits the release of insulin from the pancreas, a hormone that is responsible for removing excess sugar from a person's blood. This leaves the smoker in a slightly hyperglycemic condition, meaning he has more sugar in his blood than is normal. High blood sugar acts as an appetite suppressant, which may be why smokers think their cigarettes reduce hunger.

Are you kidding me! I am a diabetic that has had 3 different Doctors over the years. Not ONE of them has mentioned this. None of the reading I have done mentions this. Boy does this explain a lot. I am going down from 18mg of nic and am at 11 on some and 6 on others.
I have been tired a lot since vaping and a bit hungier then usual. But the E-juice flavors keep me off snacks.
I will do some research on this issue and reduce the nic as low as I can.
Thank you Jamie

damunster

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
MaryKay- I am also a diabetic so please post what you find out. I have gained alot of weight since I guit and started vaping. I had planed on using 0 nic but really like the taste of the flue cured (24mg cut down at least in hald, depending on my mood). I have also noticed what seems to be water retention. I don't know if this has to do with vaping or not. If it continues I will make a Drs appt and see if there are any underlying causes.

tr1age

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
New York, New York
alttabme.com
Day 1 (weight = 191lbs, waist = 41″, body fat = 24.87%)

tristan-before-pic-300x225.jpg

Month 3 (weight = 155lbs, waist = 29.5″, body fat = 12.73%)

tristan-after-pic-300x225.jpg

Here are before and afters of me. I quite smoking DAY 1.

So you can't tell me stopping smoking leads to weight gain if you take care of yourself. It was the whole idea in teh first place that let me lose control over it.

dinky

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
PENNSYLVANIA
i join the weight gain crowd. for physical reasons i can not exercise. i do what i can but its obviously not what most of u can do. i stopped analogs 13 weeks ago. since then i have put on about 20 lbs. my book keeper stopped 2 weeks after me. she has put on 3 lbs a week since she stopped the stinky sticks. i think a lot of it is metabolism. some of it has to do with age... and sorry guys women have a lot harder time keeping the weight off period.... especially after having kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread