Status
Not open for further replies.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Then there's another newer post that says to recharge them before they die.

The whole battery thing makes me a little crazy.

SF,

I sure wish I had tagged that post. But basically it said that recharging prior to run down would extent batt life. BUT, letting them deplete would not shorten the batt life.

Sorry I can't give any links...

ETA: Frack<<>>"Caprica". Oh, did ya noticed I said 'tick instead of 'pizz'...
abused.gif

Last edited:

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
No, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. But it's sort of frustrating when they sell this stuff together and then you find out you shouldn't be using it. Or maybe you can, then someone else says you shouldn't.

Sort of like batteries. When I started there was a big post here about how you shouldn't recharge your battery until it's dead. Then there's another newer post that says to recharge them before they die.

The whole battery thing makes me a little crazy.

You and me both, dear. Deep inhale, with or without vapor. I always said I was a smoker, switched to vaper but became electrician instead (hardly). :lol:

I think the trouble in this case is the loose definition of LR attys. I broke up attys as 1.5 - 2 = low, 2 - 3 = standard and 3+ as high. It depends on the audience I guess.

Btw, the current thinking is charging your batt at 40% capacity prolongs its life. :p

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
That's OK, I read that post. It even had a graph so it must be right! Seriously, it did make sense. But when I first started vaping I read a post about not charging until they were dead.

Then there's the whole thing about to screw or not to screw the battery into the charger while it's plugged in. Who knew batteries were so complicated.

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
SF,

I sure wish I had tagged that post. But basically it said that recharging prior to run down would extent batt life. BUT, letting them deplete would not shorten the batt life.

Sorry I can't give any links...

ETA: Frack<<>>"Caprica"

Guilty! I saw a thread in Modding forum and referenced it in my thread 2 weeks ago. The original thread quoted Andrew Wong of AW batts. :)

edit: still searching for the 13th colony, but in the original series. :lol:

Last edited:

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I think the eGos are 3.3v or 3.4v. The Madvapes table recommends 3.7v or more for under 2.0 ohm LR attys - Why resistance and voltage is important!. If that is true, either you have to return the LR attys or try a 3.7v Riva 510 kit for your next batt purchase, $30 at Liberty-Flights.

I thought I read someone was using LRs with eGo, but...

Not sure I agree with this. I have an ego with an ego booster, and from what I've read (and personally tried), higher voltages don't work as well with lower reistance attys/cartos. Reason being, if you have higher voltage, but are using lower resistance, it's basically the same as using lower voltage with regular resistance. My understanding of it is like this: The higher you go in voltage, the higher resistance you want in an atty/carto to get the best effect. I will say that my 3.0 ohm boge cartos work MUCH better than my 2.0 ohm LR cartos. So I'm not sure that your post was correct in saying that you need something higher voltage than a stardard ego batt to use LR attys. I used nothing but LR cartos for several months with my ego before I got the EB and had no problems other than wishing I had a drip tip to protect my lips from the heat of the LR cartos.

As to the problem of the center post, I've had this issue exactly 1 time in the 7 months I've used my one and only ego mega battery. I was out and about, and I borrowed a safey pin from my fiancee. I used the tip of the safety pin to kinda lightly pry upwards on the center post. I couldn't tell that I moved it, but it started working again and I haven't had a problem since. Sounds like your problem is you're screwing things onto your battery way too hard. You don't have to get these devices as tight as you can possibly get them. Just snug em down onto the batt so they don't unscrew on their own, and you're good to go. That's all the strength that's needed :)

aerosol77

Sep 9, 2011
MN
About the battery questions, almost all of factory made PV are using lithium-ion right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I found this website about batteries, I think you should read this

BatteryU is a good site from the pov of fairly generic design techniques. The challenge is few if any chargers really operate correctly, and some loads are anything but battery friendly. The e-cig load is one of the worst as far as battery stress goes... I've been designing battery powered devices since LiIon became commercially viable in consumer gear. There are gotchas everywhere.

nOOb vaper, but grey beard designer

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
Not sure I agree with this. I have an ego with an ego booster, and from what I've read (and personally tried), higher voltages don't work as well with lower reistance attys/cartos. Reason being, if you have higher voltage, but are using lower resistance, it's basically the same as using lower voltage with regular resistance. My understanding of it is like this: The higher you go in voltage, the higher resistance you want in an atty/carto to get the best effect. I will say that my 3.0 ohm boge cartos work MUCH better than my 2.0 ohm LR cartos. So I'm not sure that your post was correct in saying that you need something higher voltage than a stardard ego batt to use LR attys. I used nothing but LR cartos for several months with my ego before I got the EB and had no problems other than wishing I had a drip tip to protect my lips from the heat of the LR cartos.

I could be wrong, was going by the "Recommended Resistance" chart/table in the Madvapes link provided. That table says using an atty under 2.0 ohm on an eGo (under 3.7v) could reduce life of or damage batt, so I follow it just to be safe. YMMV of course. :)

pieman

Jul 28, 2011
London
I have used LR attys with eGo batteries and had no problems thus far. I am actually using Dual Coil LR Cartos and have no problems either.

Same here, i've been using LR attys, and mainly LR MDCC (1.5 ohm) on my 650 mah ego batts with no problems at all so far. There does seem to be a lot of ego knock offs tho, which make me think that people who have problems may not be getting genuine gear.

Last edited:

VTAK8K

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Indiana
As far as I can tell, I have genuine eGo batts. The thing about me overtightening them may be true also, I will watch out in the future. It just strikes me as weird that the battery would power an LR atty for a few days, then quit. It will still power a standard atty without a problem though. Thanks to all who responded. This entire forum is rich in support, something a new vaper needs!

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com
As far as I can tell, I have genuine eGo batts. The thing about me overtightening them may be true also, I will watch out in the future. It just strikes me as weird that the battery would power an LR atty for a few days, then quit. It will still power a standard atty without a problem though. Thanks to all who responded. This entire forum is rich in support, something a new vaper needs!

Does the light come on and not fire the atty or does the light blink?

A good way to tell if they are genuine is they should have a silver band and a greyish tinted hard plastic button.

mithrandir

Aug 19, 2011
California
Well I'm very new to all of this so I may find out differently down the road, but personally I have had no problems with 2.0 Ohm 306 attys on my 650 Mah eGo batteries. After a few days of trying 510 attys, regular cartomizers, lr cartomizers, and dual coil cartomizers I have settled for the moment on using the 2.0 LR 306 with an extended drip tip to cool the vapor a bit more than the short tips. I have been using two atomizers for alternating tobacco and fruity flavors over the last couple of weeks.

I can understand the part about shorter battery life as the current draw is higher with a 2.0 Ohm atomizer over a 3.0 Ohm atomizer. Assuming your eGo is putting out 3.4 volts (which mine is) then the following would be true:

3.0 Ohm atomizer would draw 1.13 amps of current with power of 3.85 watts
2.0 Ohm atomizer would draw 1.7 amps of current with power of 5.78 watts

So battery recharge cycles are going to have to be more frequent and perhaps the increased load and heat will shorten the overall life of the battery. Either way, I don't mind the charging and thus far have had no issues. I also think this is likely elated to screwing the atomizer onto the battery too tightly. Just seems like the most likely case.

You can run your own calculations here if you wish: Ohm's Law Calculators

Hope that helps in some way.

VTAK8K

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Indiana
Does the light come on and not fire the atty or does the light blink?

A good way to tell if they are genuine is they should have a silver band and a greyish tinted hard plastic button.

The light comes on as it normally would, just no power to the atty. I can immediately unscrew it from the LR atty and put it on a standard one and it works perfect.

VTAK8K

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Indiana
OK, so I finally got around to prying the center contact up on the battery. It now powers all atomizers again!!! The LR attys must have a higher contact point than the standard ones. Thanks again for everyones input. Now I have 2 working batteries again and when I get my new 1000 mah eGo kit I'll have 4 batteries. Goodbye analogs!!!! I didn't have any working equipment for a day and had to go back to inhaling burnt plant material and who knows what else, I'll never let myself run out of supplies again!

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
OK, so I finally got around to prying the center contact up on the battery. It now powers all atomizers again!!! The LR attys must have a higher contact point than the standard ones. Thanks again for everyones input. Now I have 2 working batteries again and when I get my new 1000 mah eGo kit I'll have 4 batteries. Goodbye analogs!!!! I didn't have any working equipment for a day and had to go back to inhaling burnt plant material and who knows what else, I'll never let myself run out of supplies again!

I'm glad it worked!! I have that issue with a couple of my smoke tech batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread