• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Welcome and introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe1291

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
www.myspace.com
Hi, I'm Gabe
From SC
Final semester Engineering Double Major >.<
This will be career #11-13 for me so far, lol It has carried over into my work
So far I've been in the Army, Trucker, Bartender, CCNA, A+, Electroplating Tech, Loss Prevention, Car Sales, Farmer, and Game Dev.....about to add Mechanical Engineer, Graphical Engineer, and Drafter to the list >.<
27, ADHD confirmed at 7, suspected by age 3, lol
Prefer to call it ADOS.....Attention Deficit.....OOOOH SHINY O_O
Figured out how to harness the wonderfulness of it to the point where I need 4 comp monitors to keep up
SO.....Hai

Last edited:

Demoness

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2010
Port Richey, Florida
Hello all- My name is Kim and I myself do not have ADD/ADHD (however my hunny thinks I do) but my 8yr old son does. I hope you dont mind me posting here- I was hoping that maybe sometimes I could get advice from you all when it comes to my little guy- Shane. We are doing our best to help him, but also nurture the advantages he has with having ADHD. They say he is somewhat Autistic- but high functioning-on the border of aspergers- but was never officially diagnosed- just with ADHD. He can be an odd child and I wouldn't change that for anything! Thanks all- again I hope you all don't mind :)

Zapp and Roger

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com
Hello all- My name is Kim and I myself do not have ADD/ADHD (however my hunny thinks I do) but my 8yr old son does. I hope you dont mind me posting here- I was hoping that maybe sometimes I could get advice from you all when it comes to my little guy- Shane. We are doing our best to help him, but also nurture the advantages he has with having ADHD. They say he is somewhat Autistic- but high functioning-on the border of aspergers- but was never officially diagnosed- just with ADHD. He can be an odd child and I wouldn't change that for anything! Thanks all- again I hope you all don't mind :)

Welcome! :D As you can see the social groups move at the speed of glavial movement lol :) We just miss any new threads because ECF allows us such a broad range of sub-forums. You are welcome to hang about and ask questions, there seems to be plenty of adults here who have found there own ways of coping with the deficiencies ADD might bring along. But rememeber that there are a lot of great things that come along with ADD too like exceptional verbal skills, a higher degree of empathy usually, and teh ability to singularly focus on one task to an extreme (even though if it bores us we move on and come back lol). I choose to see it as a positive and always will. So what if I'm poorly organized, bad short term memory, and kinda impulsive. :)

OI! My name is Dillon and I have ADHD. It's extremely disabling.

At home I can read about 5 pages of a book before I divert to something else and am lucky if I get back to the read before another day. When I watch television I watch 3 programs at once... unless I'm geekin' out on Stargate or the Discovery Channel. My browser... I love you Chrome... so much, I have about 15 tabs going at once and just as DanteInferno up there, I do get back to them... eventually. I've had to re-read this post 6 times already to avoid sounding like an idiot. When at home and I try to focus on one task, I get depressed. In my own head I've finished what I've started just by thinking about it and it becomes very drudging.

The outside of the house I can't keep my mind from racing and dissecting every situation I come across. Once I'm done with it.. I'm done with it, and I'm on to something next... even if it's in my own head and it outs the people I'm with.. it's socially crippling... don't even get me started on how badly it's ....ed up my sex-life over the past few years. When I talk to people I try to make my point far to quickly and generally believe I've made that point before I move on, leaving others behind.

I'll wrap it up with one bit of self-help that I've started recently that is actually helping me focus on some things without losing my mind. SAMe. S-adenosylmethionine 400mg's a day. Bought off the shelf at most grocery stores, it's a mild anti-depressant/anti-anxiety.. a mood regulator.. sounds like crap and most with ADD wont even bother to read this, but it helps with keeping calm or picking yourself up when you need it to focus, it's a chemical your body produces on it's own but a lot of those with Attention Deficit don't produce enough. Together with some ginkgo-boloba and fish-oil... I've gained bounds in focus and am generally happier... it's completely safe, even just to try.. I recommend it for all suffering in lack of focus. Love and Peace

southernjaperican

Jan 1, 2011
Memphis, Tn
Hi all! I'm Scott. I'm brand new to vaping (been analog free 6 days now since i picked up my npro 6 days ago). I'm still waiting on a 510 pcc kit from madvapes (ordered it friday and have been tracking it's progress through USPS way too often) and I am already thinking of building a mod or 2 (with the 2 npro kits I have right now regardless that I have no e liquid till the mail runs tomorrow). Meh, I'm tired of parenthesis and correcting my spelling now.

BorisTheSpider

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2010
Carroll County, Ohio
Hi, I'm Dustin from Canton, Ohio. I managed to read the first three or four pages then surprisingly stepped away for a while. I wanted to post so I don't forget where the group is, so here is that post.

I've never been diagnosed, but I think it's pretty clear that I meet all the criteria of ADD. As for the specific "grain," I've got a high IQ and often get lost with menial tasks. I tend to assume a mastery level after only a basic knowledge of a topic. I can hyperfocus, and am even capable of doing several tasks at once - as long as they're all interesting. I have a hundred hobbies which rarely get attention. I'm going to school for video game design (specifically programming), which is going well as long as I can read what I need to learn. That makes some of the math classes a little rough because some profs like to stray from the text a good bit. I'm also a little OCD, but that can also be labeled "neurotic" depending on how you look at it.

Fortunately, I see my ADD as a part of me I wouldn't change, along with being colorblind. It allows me to see and do things in a way totally unique to me. "Normal" people have no way of understanding what I see. Knowing what I'm dealing with (both colorblind and ADD) allows me to understand when that part is taking over and avoid any ill effects in many cases. It also allows me to work in areas where those traits are beneficial. However, being colorblind is lame when you like to do artistic projects like painting (why is that evergreen blue?) and electronics (what color are those bands on the resistor?).

Sometimes, it does get the best of me though. For example, I don't study enough as I can finish a programming assignment in under half an hour without learning more about the principles the assignment is trying to teach. Another example is me sitting at work rifling through forums instead of...doing work. I hope I get to meet more people like you all (like me) with whom I can discuss these things. So happy I found this subforum!

Ronda

May 21, 2011
Pa
Hi All,

I'm Ronda, and was diagnosed with ADD with Hyperfocus about 5 years-ish ago. I'm in my mid-forties, so it did help with explaining some of the difficulties I ran into over the years. Read everything I could find on ADD, and like many of you, decided it's a wonderful gift. I've used my talents to create a business that allows me the freedom to wander from project to project as my current interests dictate. Getting a full cycle of laundry done, however, takes multiple alarms, a strong need for something in there, and a fierce determination to get all the way through it "this time." <bleh> Thank God, for Wash, Dry, Fold!

I loved the idea of ADOS (Attention Deficit... OHHHH, SHINY...) and I'm quite sure Google is God... Can't stand to watch TV without my lappy and Google Chrome at the ready to answer any stray questions that might pop into my head. And did I see another StarGate Fan? Was that not the most fabulous SciFi series (in all it's incantations) EVER? Think we'll get another movie?

Can't take any of the meds tried, and gave up. Did follow much of the advice in several books - and found I had already "created" many of the coping skills required to manage my way through the western world successfully. Anyone else here create a specific place to hang keys, drop phone and wallet, glasses and PV FIRST - no matter what or who is demanding my attention upon entering my current place to land? Anyone else stick to 4 pocket pants for a quick and easy check before leaving said domicile? Blew my father's mind when he watched me get ready to go one day - hold on Dad, I can't leave until I check - 1,2,3,4 - crap where's 4? Hang on Dad - let's see, I'm missing front right pocket - my phone - crap... Oh here it is, hiding under my lappy. OK, let's go...

Relationships have been hard - mostly on my partner - but I did discover that being loving and patient is the FIRST thing I look for in a relationship. And that it was important to me to make my own way in the world - are you listening ladies? "NO ONE'S COMING TO SAVE YOU!" That has been one of the biggest blessings in my life.

To the Mom with the ADD/Asperger's child - have you by any chance looked into the Son-Rise Program? It's truly an amazing way to help your child - and yourself.

Has anyone else on this board found that Vaping doesn't quite give the same satisfaction as smoking did? I'm loving Dvap's exploration into the Whole Tobacco Alcoloids (sp?)...

But I diverge...

Warmest,
Ronda

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
WOW. Finding this group felt like the first time I read a article about add/adhd and realized that I had that. It is very eye opening. What is amazing is how much of what you are saying resonates and how much does not at the same time. We are all so different.....

About me. I am 42 years old and just discovered that I have this.

I own my own business which has been successful. I like the people part of the business and despise the "behind the scenes" aspects of my job. The issue is that I have to get those tasks done or it can greatly effect my business. Also, I am in a business where I deal with a tremendous amount of vendors. Cultivating those relationships is extremely important to me. I mostly do a great job with it, but can also have a tendency to lose patience and sever those relationships when I get frustrated. It has not hurt me often, but I have ruined relationships occasionally because of this.

I am extremely impatient, anxious and have trouble focusing. I get very frustrated while driving with all the other drivers on the road because they are not moving fast enough. I feel like a shark that has to keep moving or I will die.

I am either hyper aware of my surroundings or focused on one thing and do not notice what goes on around me. I am very intuitive and emphatic. I often feel as though I care and focus on other feelings more than they do for me. This is frustrating. I will say that people that do not know me, would say I am conceited and that I need to be the center of attention. This might be true sometimes :)

I would not trade this for the world. I really view this condition as a gift. I have been seeing someone for just a couple of weeks and she started me on Straterra which I had to quit after two days. The side effects were insane. I have started Riddalin today and we are going to see how that goes. Everyone that knows me thinks ultimately that I will NOT like taking meds. Even my sister said that.

I quit smoking and drinking coffee three years ago. I have recently dabbled in the coffee a little bit. I own a vape that I use with 0% occasionally. I am seriously considering starting to vape with actual nicotine as I seemed to be much happier and well adjusted when I smoked. Even my girlfriend of 11 years sometimes asks me to start smoking again. It is interesting to read about people with this condition and their relationship with smoking. I have to admit, that I am a little afraid to start up again as it was so hard to quit. I have never gotten over it though and it has been three years. I think it might really help me but I have to admit I am hesitant to pull the trigger because quitting is so hard. I have often joked that I cannot wait till my death is imminent so I can start smoking again :)

I have the vape and nicotines ready in different MM sizes just ready to go. I just need to decide if it will help enough to get started again. Even my acupuncturist suggested ecigs and a way to deal with my issues.

P.S. I have always sucked at math. I had to go back and edit this so that I capitalized all the first words of the sentences. :blush:

anyway, good to be here. thanks for doing this.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm Jason. I was medicated for ADD at a very early age and have struggled with it ever since.

Highschool was the worst because I knew I knew the subject matter I just kept failing because I couldn't concentrate on the homework. That was when I started cutting.

I've since sought professional help and while I've been able to kick ADD medication I am still depend on caffeine and nicotine to function.

ego-fan

Moved On
Apr 7, 2012
Hi ALL :) Think I may be brave enough to join now :)
Thanks for sharing your stories....Like you...I had a bad time in school, I was bored to tears most of the time, and did not fit in with the crowd so to speak...I kept to myself...and my horses...they saved my life :)
I have had more than 30 jobs....started 5 different educations....always foget my grocerylist, and have to go back to the store:ohmy:Here is my checklist :
I am ambidextruous (two handed..left hand for artistic effort...wright hand for using tools...wrighting with both)
High IQ...(but not very clever :))
Selfmedicating for years...coffee, and cigarettes. Now vaping and hot chokolat:)
suffer from migraines and deppression....especially in my early youth
Impulsive and somewhat selfdestructive....anything for a thrill:)
Colour blind......annoying as h..
Like to work while listening to the radio and having the tv on, and cooking something and talking on the phone (headset)
inadvertantly tapping my foot or fingers and driving everybody mad:ohmy:
Procrastinating until the last minuite.....then working like crazy...forgetting to eat and drink....then pass out:laugh:
Beginning to accept that I have to live and die alone.....
Hate mondane boring life....like to fantazise....love star trek....and I am a coastie...like to keep track of Bigfoot, and all the rest of the imaginative C to C subjects.

That was waaaaay to much about me.....(not a narcissist....promise....just got rid of one)

OH and if my spelling sucks...English is not my first language...havent used it for years....and I really cant be bothered with spelling...I am buisy.....got 5 min. now to deadline...gotta rush.....stay cool :2cool: keep :vapor:

Last edited:

rober36

Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
wisconsin
I'm glad I found this group, and am a little surprised there is one... My name is Rob, I was diagnosed with adhd in high school, about five years ago. I went without medication for it after I graduated high school until the beginning of this year. I am a full time student and work full time so it has been very helpful. Since high school I have been a heavy smoker and a couple months ago I switched to vaping. It's been great so far and the only negative is that I have so many toys/forums to distract me while I am trying to study now haha...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread