Well I've slipped a bit :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flawedatdesign

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Will power has never been my strong suit with smoking. I have cut wayyyy back from 3 packs a day the first few days I only smoked a few. The past couple days I'm smoked about a pack a day. Which I know is 2/3 less but still. What i need help with is over coming the hand fixation and Mouth fixation. I have to say i don't even enjoy the taste really but After 25 years of smoking I'm just used to having a smoke in my hand or in my mouth.

I could use some advice on fixing the fixation lol .

Side note : I don't/can't chew gum and Hard candy is not an option.

Reactions: thetrucker

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
When I was in the process of quitting I kept a cheap clearo/tank with the next higher nic in it. When the urge got tough I just hit it once or twice, and the urge was gone. You might try getting a cheap blister pack of battery and clearo/tank and a juice you like with a higher nic (or a cig a like). Something real pocket friendly.

Make some cinnamon toothpicks and keep them in a medicine bottle in the pocket. The flavor may jolt you to be aware of not smoking.

It is a conscious effort the first couple of weeks. I kinda took the approach of the urge or habit to be a struggle between good and evil. When I would choose good (vape) over the cig it was like I could give the finger to the evil (nice feeling when you mean it). When "evil" won I was frustrated and saddened. There were "Automatic" times when I grabbed the cig not thinking and when I realized this was happening I would stop and grab the vape.

It's different for everyone but you CAN do it.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I kept a cheap clearo/tank with the next higher nic in it
I still have a STM with 12mg in it even though I'm down to 3mg or 4.5mg now, I don't use it often but if I really get a nic craving I'll go to that instead of my usual 3.

to OP, it's okay to slip a bit as long as you stay on track :) many people dual use for quite some time before quitting completely.

Flawedatdesign

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Well I have 2 rigs istick 60w tc w/ Aspire Triton the Regular all the time vape and Then a Aspire CF Mod with a Tobeco Super Mini Tank Loaded with 24 mg Vape. As I sit hear typing this with the analog hanging out of my mouth I have noticed I'm not even really inhaling lol ( Kinda feel like BC here ) . Anyway I'll get it it's just bothersome that I feel like I should be able to not even pick one up

Reactions: David Wolf

a9g

Jul 8, 2015
California
I still have a STM with 12mg in it even though I'm down to 3mg or 4.5mg now, I don't use it often but if I really get a nic craving I'll go to that instead of my usual 3.

to OP, it's okay to slip a bit as long as you stay on track :) many people dual use for quite some time before quitting completely.

I agree with this. I had a very strong nic craving it turned out. So keeping a some 12mg was the fix for me as well.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
When I was in the process of quitting I kept a cheap clearo/tank with the next higher nic in it. When the urge got tough I just hit it once or twice, and the urge was gone. You might try getting a cheap blister pack of battery and clearo/tank and a juice you like with a higher nic (or a cig a like). Something real pocket friendly.

Make some cinnamon toothpicks and keep them in a medicine bottle in the pocket. The flavor may jolt you to be aware of not smoking.

It is a conscious effort the first couple of weeks. I kinda took the approach of the urge or habit to be a struggle between good and evil. When I would choose good (vape) over the cig it was like I could give the finger to the evil (nice feeling when you mean it). When "evil" won I was frustrated and saddened. There were "Automatic" times when I grabbed the cig not thinking and when I realized this was happening I would stop and grab the vape.

It's different for everyone but you CAN do it.

Thats EXACTLY what worked for me , the immediately wiping out that urge to smoke is critical for success .

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
First off don't beat yourself up over the minor setback; we're all human. Secondly what I've done is carry my all day vape around with me in an RTA which is stronger and more flavorful than something like an Aspire Tank. Which always gives me that kick I need when I need it. Not to say that I don't have an Aspire or two around for mornings and evenings when I don't want that strong hit.
And you'll get right back on course in no time. Smile you seem to be intend with you;, and that is the Biggest thing.;):):2c:

Reactions: LouisLeBeau

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Well I have 2 rigs istick 60w tc w/ Aspire Triton the Regular all the time vape and Then a Aspire CF Mod with a Tobeco Super Mini Tank Loaded with 24 mg Vape. As I sit hear typing this with the analog hanging out of my mouth I have noticed I'm not even really inhaling lol ( Kinda feel like BC here ) . Anyway I'll get it it's just bothersome that I feel like I should be able to not even pick one up
    You might actually like a cig-a-like for those times :?:

Regardless, you've dropped a ton of cigarettes; be proud of that :thumb:

mcol

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 5, 2013
    Missouri
    Absolutely what has been said.
    I still keep a cheap clearo filled with 12 mg. and hit it occasionally after
    almost 3 years of vaping.
    When I started out I was a 2+ pack a day smoker and I started with
    54 mg. of nic. 54!! I would literally vape until my mouth went numb.
    (NOT recommended).
    Maybe pick up a couple of NJOYs or other disposables, they are high in
    nic and you could hit it when you feel the urge to smoke.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 23, 2013
    Yep, pick yaself up, dust off, and keep keeping at it. For some, it takes awhile but forward progress is the important thing.

You might want to look at an Ego One or some smaller, tube style mod you can keep on a lanyard. That will make it much closer and more convenient than that pack for when you have the urge to be doing something with our hands and mouf. LOTS of great suggestions here.

I was done with cigs with my first Volt, so I can't relate but MANY can, obviously do, and are willing to help.

nmackan

ECF Veteran
    Sep 3, 2013
    Turkiye
    Easy my friend. dont torture yourself. Dont fight with stinkies.
    I had decided not to give up smoking. I wanted the vape, to cut my smoke half. (40 years+ smoker and 40 years of handrolling 30 gr/day) Because I could not walk a decent 100 meters without a breathing break.
    Now there are 2 factors in it.
    Nic intake.
    Leave aside the sub ohm trivia and enjoy 18-24 mg/ml nic for a while with the smallest watt. with a 1 ohm (or about) coils
    and try to find a liquid you adore (Not to vape always I will come to that :) )
    Hollywood effects
    If you watch old movies you should notice how they effected us;
    smoking as soon as you are awake
    smoking after every meal
    smoking while drinking
    smoking if you feel all right
    smoking if you feel lousy
    etc.
    Well I admit you have to fight with them. Most disturbing of all is morning ceremony. So you get this adorable liquid for that every morning. you vape that until you feel you are satisfied. Than go ahead with other liquids. This way you will mis morning vape not smoking. :)
    For others, vape more when you feel a craving and if it is not passed well light one. Dont fight with it. In the end you will not like your old friend as before.
    I had thought "if this is that similar and effective why I should smoke" in the first drag. But the magic was it was a right flavoured, right nic amounted liquid by luck.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Hand to mouth fixation was my thing to overcome, too. It's the reason I used a Joyetech Starter Kit with the cigalike size batteries, shortie attys, and either foam-filled refillable cartridges and/or Vision Nano clearos because of their cigalike size, too.

It was so lightweight & close to a smoke in length, that I could hold it between my fingers like a smoke, out of my mouth like a smoke if I wanted to, and with an automatic battery, (versus a manual push button one), was as close to a smoke as was possible. Worked for me to gradually totally switch over to vaping.

Only later, after I'd absolutely quit the smokes, did I go to the larger 1100mAh eGo batteries, Innokin clearos, then mods, etc.

Reactions: Grimwald

Grimwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    You might actually like a cig-a-like for those times :?:

Regardless, you've dropped a ton of cigarettes; be proud of that :thumb:

Seems like you need to be holding a cigarette in your lips or twirling in your fingers or fiddling in a ashtray...been there. Perhaps a smaller cig-sized or ego-sized.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    OH! Forgot this: Another main place where my Joyetech cigalikes worked very well was in the car...one of the places I'd always smoked! I could hold it between my fingers or out of my mouth while driving, just like I had with my cigarettes. Didn't miss not smoking there then either! That was a "biggie" for me personally.

EvilGenius

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 13, 2014
    nj
    how the hell did you have time to smoke 3 packs a day? I thought my 2 a day was alot lol
    anyways i got off cigs from the flavor of the ejuice i tried, cigalikes did nothing but the v2cigs and blu sucked IMO, it was the flavoring of halo tribecca that got me off cigs and the ego style ecig i was using is nothing like a cigarette then it was the interest in all of the types of ecig devices and flavors, now im a sub ohm cloud chaser sorta

vaping isnt for everyone, my brother in law has tried all the way up to box mods and rdas and just hates it

anyways good luck

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 18, 2015
    Will power has never been my strong suit with smoking. I have cut wayyyy back from 3 packs a day the first few days I only smoked a few. The past couple days I'm smoked about a pack a day. Which I know is 2/3 less but still. What i need help with is over coming the hand fixation and Mouth fixation. I have to say i don't even enjoy the taste really but After 25 years of smoking I'm just used to having a smoke in my hand or in my mouth.

I could use some advice on fixing the fixation lol .

Side note : I don't/can't chew gum and Hard candy is not an option.

It took me way over two years to vape only, instead of dual use with occasional backslides into smoking only.

For hand to mouth, the cigalike advise is probably pretty good advice if the mod you are vaping on isn't giving your brain that satisfaction: I did mod and cigalike at the same time and it helped me out a lot - I was just so used to having something between my fingers almost my entire waking day. Getting a wide variety of mods, juices and attys helped also. (spent hundreds of bucks since Nov., but what they hay, would have spent hundreds on smokes).

Still, a third less smoking is still a third less smoking. When I got down to a pack a day, my health and my wallet really noticed the difference.

In fact, I just realized it's my one month anniversary of not touching a single cigarette. I got my first cigalikes in Feb. of 2013, so close to three years it took me, I guess.

Last November, my health got so bad from smoking related issues (I only did 2.5 PAD for 37 years, lol) I knew something had to give.

I was chain vaping so much I had to have several tanks on hand, because when chain-vaped, the juice would get too hot and I'd end up getting a mouth full of juice when I had only one set up.

I also had to go to lower my nicotine percentage, because I'd get super hopped up on the nicotine, and smoke cigarettes when the nicotine from vaping got too much.

I carried all my vapes on me at all times: would have vaped in the shower if it wouldn't have ruined the batteries!

I actually spent part of one day "fake" lighting my vape to satisfy my brain wanting that part of the ritual - thank god that urge passed. Would have been embarrassing if anyone saw that - but I'd do it again if the urge to smoke got strong and it would satisfy that neurotic part of my that needs constant hand to mouth action.

Personally, I had to do a lot of things the opposite of how most people seem to do it.

A lot of other tricks worked for me sometimes, but later didn't: pretending I switched brands, so I'd reach for a vape instead of a smoke. Keeping my cigarettes at the other end of the house instead of on my person, all these helped me vape instead of smoke at times, sometimes didn't help at all.

Most people hang onto their cigarettes just for a security blanket for the mind.

I had to toss out my smokes after went I finally went a whole 72 hours w/o smoking. The temptation to light up, despite the fact I didn't actually like it, was too powerful for me. My brain likes cigarettes a lot.

Every time I overcame a vaping/smoking hurdle, another presented itself. I realized whenever I thought about "quitting" cigarettes, my brain kind of panicked and I'd smoke. So I started referring to it as "stopping cigarettes" instead and that panic went away and I'd vape instead of smoke.

The smell of cigarettes started to bother me (for the first time in decades) and listening to my husband hack away was motivating for me, once I faced the facts on how bad cigarettes actually smell (I try to remember that, because weeks later now, cigarette smoke smell good again to me). That helped me to remember to reach for a vape when I wanted that hand to mouth action - many, many times I grabbed a smoke without even realizing it when I would have been just as happy vaping.

I posted a similar thread, and got tons of good advice, some worked some didn't.

One piece of advice that really hit home was from a former 50-year smoker. He said that when the urge to smoke hits, remember your best vaping experience, grab your mod and try to get into that great vape zone, again.

DebiK

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2014
    Georgia
    What ever works for you is the best for you.

This is my story. I am at home pretty much 24/7, so I was able to smoke anytime I wanted. I bought my eGo styled kit late one afternoon. I planned on cutting back on my smoking over a month's time. The second day, I had one smoke and it burnt my throat so badly! I was done with smoking! BUT, the urge was still there. I started out with a pretty high mg juice. Because that urge was so bad and I could vape anytime I wanted to, I was chain vaping. That was too much nicotine! I was getting sick from it and having vivid dreams at night. (I did the same thing when on the patch- I could not wear it after a certain time at night or the dreams would drive me nuts)

So, I dropped my nic level down and chain vaped! When the urge would hit, I would vape, vape vape!

Also, I would vape with the triggers I had before. Although I vape inside my house, I didn't smoke inside. So I would go outside as usual and sit on my patio and vape. I would vape after meals. I would run out during tv commercials and vape. What ever the trigger, I chained vaped through it.

I also made a list on my phone. It was all of the good things about not smoking. I didn't stink anymore. I didn't have to go outside in the humid Georgia heat during the summer or the cold during the winter. I didn't wheeze myself to sleep every night. I didn't have to empty stinky ashtrays out. I didn't accidentally burn my clothes or skin from a fallen ash or spark. I didn't have to spend a few hours rolling smokes with a bag of tubes and tobacco. My breath didn't smell horrid. etc, etc. I would read that list when I got that urge.

I also downloaded an app to my phone that kept up with how long I had quit. I can't remember the name of it now, but it showed me how my health was improving over time. It was exciting to reach milestones.

I also spent a LOT of time here, reading and getting inspired!

Please don't beat yourself up over dual use!! I told myself (and my hubby) that I did not plan to stop smoking immediately. As I said, I planned to taper down over a month...or however long it took. (I was LUCKY that I did; it was NOT expected)

Best of Luck!! We are here to support and help you!

Reactions: MudVaper

E-rick

Feb 11, 2016
    I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 25 years and I have been vaping and cig free for 6 months I use "V2 ex blanks"....not the regular v2 cartridges what I'm talking about are mini clearomizer tanks but it is same size as the the cigarette style and fits on the regular v2 battery you can get a little starter pack for 15$ and get automatic so you can just take drags like a cig it is the most effortless and cig like experience I found and I've tried a ton of stuff in that dept. as far as juice goes for cig taste I would recomend eonsmoke....they really nail the cig feel and taste the menthol and the tobacco flavors alike I smoked menthols so I usually do a 75/25 menthol/classic tobacco mix to get a little more cig taste but the menthol alone is delicious too...but if you smoked reds I wud recomend the wrangler flavor. Also get juice in 2.4% nicotene....another trick I do that helped me is I vape just like I smoked like the ritual the habit. Before I quit cigs I started timing myself when I smoked and I came to a round number of 10 min to smoke a 100 and 7.5 min to smoke a king....I smoked 100s mostly so now when I vape I set my phone timer for 10 min and smoke it like a cig till the 10 min is up and I wud do it all the same times I wud with cigs, while driving,after meal, etc. this was what finally got me over the hump cause all the previous attempts I never felt like cig satisfaction from it but once I started the timing and committing to the cigarette length of time when vaping I finally started to feel satisfied like I smoked a real cig.....hope this helps

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread