Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Thanks to the people on here that are not giving me a "stern talking to" about this, and to the ones that are,

I should have taken the battery OR rda off the device before pocketing that. I own that as my own fault.

My point with sharing this is to make people aware that no matter how safe you are with your devices things CAN, not will, but can go wrong.

I agree with you. It is much better for other vapers, who may be new, to read about these things, than it is to avoid looking like a fool.....:) And for that I commend you, esp. if you can "take the heat."

I shudder to think of all the posts people DON'T MAKE, because they don't want to be pounced on.

You know, really, not only should member learn how to not melt their batts.....but members piling on, telling someone how stupid they are, etc. shouldn't happen EITHER.:( (unless the person being told that is insistent that they didn't make ANY mistakes, which is clearly not the case with you, since you admit you overlooked some important safety measures.)

Last edited:

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
Nisstyre, just last week you posted that your darkhorse rda wouldn't work on a praxis mod, nor none in the vape shop.

So instead of taking a close look & finding out why your rda wasn't working ... it appears you went out & got a stingray x to screw that rda on to.

You are not safe. {MODERATED}. And very lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
First off, Mechs have no safety built into them so its up to the operator. The ONLY heat that should be felt at all should be coming from the topper not the MOD. Stingrays usually have a spring loaded top pin.....they short and corrode. Not good. I only buy Mech's with a solid top pin and a lock ring. I love my Nemesis' Caravellas and will buy a Ragnorak this payday. Common factors on all of these mods is a solid adjustable top pin. No springs. I personally don't like direct connect top caps...Most of my toppers are the Finest Chinese Machining the lowest bidder will provide. I inspect my batteries every time I change them as well as wipe down the threads and clean the top and bottom pin. It takes 5 minutes. Had that mod gone critical in his pocket he would have been happy to only have third degree burns on his LEG. Alittle maintenance goes a long way. Heat is a valid troubleshooting aid and a good reason to pull a battery out of a mod and stop use till the source is found.
You are misinformed , the Stingray X does not have a spring loaded center pin , it has a solid floating center pin , there are no springs to be found in it at all , the firing switch is magnetic as well . The same goes for my black copper Stingray . They are as safe or as dangerous as any other mech on the market .

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
You are misinformed , the Stingray X does not have a spring loaded center pin , it has a solid floating center pin , there are no springs to be found in it at all , the firing switch is magnetic as well . The same goes for my black copper Stingray . They are as safe or as dangerous as any other mech on the market .

Very true. I wonder if the OP was using the hybrid adapter on the stingray X .... if only a short pin protrudes from the dripper connection, a recipe for disaster.

Kevin littell

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Covington Ga

Having never owned one......

I thank you for the correction....

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Very true. I wonder if the OP was using the hybrid adapter on the stingray X .... if only a short pin protrudes from the dripper connection, a recipe for disaster.
Yup , no room for mistakes using that adapter , the X's voltage drop is low enough to begin with , there's not much to be gained using it .

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
This just confirms my conviction that if I ever do use a mech, I'm drilling a ton of holes in it or cutting slots.

Look, you guys can beat him up all you want (within Moderator's discretion. ~~~~ Robino :D) but the point is that even if the battery vented IT SHOULD NOT HAVE BLOWN UP in this day and age of vaping. Period.

Now, I can also add that many have theorized that it wasn't a safe chem battery. In that case, if the mod is designed for safe-chem-IMR only, I suppose that's an excuse.

But someone explain to me how it actually blew apart. Even with total internal battery failure or whatever. These things are supposed to be A) Vented and B) use hot springs or other such features.

I'm certainly not a mech expert, nor do I know this particular device. Some said spring loaded center pin, others say no. Even if the center pin failed, the battery top should not be touching the pin unless the button is pushed AND the hot spring should retract IF it has one.

So it would take
1) Button depression and very low ohms stressing battery
2) battery top to ground (shell) short with battery top somehow in contact with the pin and battery ground in contact somewhere along the battery with the shell.

Also confirms my conviction that .2 ohms it a bit too close to a dead-short. IDK if we can tell if it dead shorted or if it was just "perma-on" running through a .2 ohm (supposedly) coil.

One set of specs on VC5's I saw said it was a 30 amp battery. .2 ohms at, say, 4.0 volts is 'only' 20 amps and 80 watts. So maybe it was a dead short.

Still, mods should be designed to contain this in today's market. IMO. At least with an IMR as they vent slower. But I guess YMMV.

:2c: and just IMHO.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
image.jpg

DadEh

Dec 23, 2014
East of GTA
I still consider myself a newb but growing in knowledge and experience. I in noway shall pass any judgement nor am I qualified.... I am glad the OP is not hurt and had the presence of mind to undertake every safety measure to prevent exposure to himself or people around him. Well done sir for that and again glad you are ok.
I did begin to consider, one day, getting a mech but reading this restores my best judgement to stay with the reg box mods. Thank you for that sir and I tip my hat to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread