Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
tobacco revenues world wide are so large and so important there are national security and economic stability issues at stake. If I were the judge I'd be ever so careful to get this right. It's a billion lives, right?
Considering the first part of your quote above...
And then the second part...

What is right?
What does "right" even mean?

Fix our problems but then watch economies collapse?

"Right" can have many definitions.
"Just" can have only one.
;)

Reactions: Endor

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Considering the first part of your quote above...
And then the second part...

What is right?
What does "right" even mean?

Fix our problems but then watch economies collapse?

"Right" can have many definitions.
"Just" can have only one.
;)
Everybody is entitled to their own idea of what is right but if we don't agree on a few things we don't have civilization. The purpose of laws, the only reason for government, is to protect the minority. Europeans thought the American contstitutional government wouldn't work because they worst form of government is mob rule. Apparently we took that to heart and added the Bill of Rights, a list of things the majority cannot do to who ever the minority happens to be (period).

May be that's too far afield from vaping but it's the principle. Some how the minoritty needs to be protected or evereything falls apart.

Notice how the Brits seem to be handling the vaping issue better than we are (so far). I think it's because it's not as accepted for public officials to bald faced lie over there. (It sure as hell is okay in America.) I think the difference is the Brits have a secullar moral authority. If you talk nonsense you're disrespecting the Queen. Brilliant.

Reactions: Vandal

northhar

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
CanTheBan
Notice how the Brits seem to be handling the vaping issue better than we are (so far). I think it's because it's not as accepted for public officials to bald faced lie over there. (It sure as hell is okay in America.) I think the difference is the Brits have a secullar moral authority. If you talk nonsense you're disrespecting the Queen. Brilliant.

It may also be that the Brits have National healthcare.. which helps negate the tobacco revenue.. With the way Health Canada is talking also a country with National healthcare negating the tobacco revenue we might see the same attitude as the Brits..
One could only hope!!

Reactions: Vandal

VapJak

Aug 21, 2016
As a Brit I can tell you it was nothing to do with the NHS v Tax argument - Tax revenues far exceeds Healthcare costs. eCig tax is probably on the way !!!!

It was all to do with the EU - The TPD (drafted by Philip Morris et el) actually is fairly sensible regulation - it controls good manufacture with proper requirements for process control and testing

Albeit the 10ml bottle is nonsense and the 20mg/ml (2%) max is also without foundation

But at least it was not banned outright, as would have happened if the MHRA (UK's regulator - Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Authority) had had their say

I hear yesterday the MHRA are putting a blanket ban on the sale of CBD products

In 2012 the MHRA wanted a ban on ecigs - all to be regulated as a medicine

So funny enough it was the European Union regulation which has saved vaping in Europe !!!!

So then the UK votes for BREXIT !!!!! - mainly driven by the media and all the axe grinders

Reactions: northhar

VapJak

Aug 21, 2016
Vaping is more or less saved in Europe, but after the FDA regulation, i am not 100% sure that the EU will not
follow this steps at a later time..

Yes you could be right !!!!
The problem we are all facing is that BigT & BigP are customers of our government - they pay in a lot of money

Governments tend to like that !!!!

Tobacco is such a great product for our countries - it takes massive revenues in taxation, and it bumps us off just at the age where we stop paying income tax - WIN WIN !!!!!

They are not interested in health - In this debate no one is interested in health or doing the right thing - it is all about money....

....oh the only saving grace is democracy????? ...... they still rely on our vote !!!!!

In the UK, Public Health England (the old Ministry for Health) has said that vaping is 95% safer than smoking tobacco cigarettes.

Great news for us on one hand, but bad news for us on the other, because now the UK Gov cannot levy a sin-tax like they can do with tobacco, alcohol and driving gas (petrol) guzzling cars :)

But taxation will be the deciding factor in all this struggle in the end - Pay the Governments off :)

Cynical ???? - I didn't used to be - but sure am after vaping for 4 years, and seeing the hypocrites in action

y cherry y

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Ypsilanti, MI
The only thing on the Federal burner right now is the Nicopure Labs (et al) case slated for the 19th of this month. This consists of about a dozen suits rolled into one.

It'll be months before a final ruling though (I'd guess).

It's just two lawsuits combined, although one of them has eleven plaintiffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread