What about the kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, if this does have some kind of second hand downside, our personal vaporizers are doomed, law wise.

BTW, my parents smoke around me from birth to the time they quit and my siblings along with myself, ended up smoking.

ALSO, my wife's parents smoked around her and her siblings from birth and none of them smoked.

I knew friends that came from smoke free homes that ended up smoking.

I don't know what all that means statistically, but there are some stats.

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
Wait, aren't you the person who started this thread, because you were worried about the vapor from e-cigs? Have you checked their nail polish and removers for toluene? Granted, it doesn't create any of that telltale "smoke," but trust me, it's one helluva chemical.

Yes, it was me. I have never checked any of the chemicals in nail polish remover. Crazy right? It is legal, they sell it on a shelf, so I roll with it. And even take the girls with me to the stinky nail salon. I am sure none of it is good for them. But with vaping being something new that I have control over, I want to be as cautious as possible. I was vaping in a different room, but I would never have smoked in a different room, only outside. I have decided that my vaping habits should be just like my smoking habits. Outside and hidden. That will limit how much I vape also. Everone was out of the house earlier and I stood at the stove with the fan on and vaped there. I didn't feel like much harm could have been done that way...

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
I only brought it up because as far as I know.. despite the fact that less and less people are smoking....cancer and respiratory diseases are still growing, I think people should be thinking far more about why and what else could be the reason.

Air Polution! that is a real killer maybe a lot of problems caused by air polution are being attributed to tobacco smoke by organizations like WHO.

Perhaps, maybe now we are understanding why anti-smoker don't want anything that resembles a tobacco product (specially in Europe), this nice cilinders with a cool LED on the tip attrac kids atention... just a thought...

I have always thought that the design of this devices most to be rebamped in something far from the look of a real tobacco product, but a lot of people want that "real" look so bad, devices like the screwdriver and the jantystick have a very big potential against the actual "cool high tech toy" looking that makes kids so curious, but... again... a lot of people just want a "cigarette" for "smoke" that looks like the real thing :(

Bman

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2009
I have a 15 and 16 year old. They know that vaping is a much better alternative that analogs. Anyhow, my 16 year old got acne on his face a lot worse than normal. We have been trying to figure out why. My DSE901 broke an I ordered a Screwdriver, so I have been smoking analogs for about 2 weeks now. During this time my sons acne cleared up. Coincidence?

I e-smoke VG from Johnson Creek.

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
I have a 15 and 16 year old. They know that vaping is a much better alternative that analogs. Anyhow, my 16 year old got acne on his face a lot worse than normal. We have been trying to figure out why. My DSE901 broke an I ordered a Screwdriver, so I have been smoking analogs for about 2 weeks now. During this time my sons acne cleared up. Coincidence?

I e-smoke VG from Johnson Creek.

Oh, wow!! That is definitely something to think about!!

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
Wow, where do all your kids go to school? I took it outside and into hiding long before I even had kids and still DS came home from school in 1st grade crying about me dying because of my "drug use". My kids, nieces and nephews all know about and support my e-cig use. They don't think they are toys, but they do think they are cool. Not as something they ever want to try, but as something to keep me and hopefully other family members off analogs.

My 1st e-cig was bought solely to help me survive an essentially non-smoking trip with the extended family. After we were home and it was misplaced, I went back to analogs. My kids encouraged me to get another one. I always smoked outside, I often vape inside. IMHO it's safer. They are exposed to far more concentrated pollution when we're riding our bikes or in the car. This way, mom's always there. No need to step outside.

We've talked about addictions in general and smoking and nicotine in particular. In my experience hiding it would just make them more curious and add a hard to resist forbidden aspect. I think I'm pretty good at keeping my stuff put up, but what if I dropped a little bottle of chocolate, strawberry or whatever. Better that my kids are aware of what it is and that it's dangerous rather than "Hey look, that stuff Mom doesn't want us to know about." Then they'd mess with it for sure.

Really, where do you all send your kids to school? At least twice a year my "drug use" gets dredged up because of some assembly. It's quite aggravating.

Dunno about kids, but my cat always used to leave the room in disgust when I lit up a smoke. Vaping doesn't seem to bother her at all. I'm not saying that means that it's safe, just providing a bit of data from a nose far more sensitive than our own.

Do a forum search on cats and PG. I heard they took PG out of cat food cause cats were having kidney failure from PG. I vape around my dog (who has bronchial probs and coughed all the time from analog smoke) and he is fine with the vapor... but until some more thorough studies are done on second hand vapor.. I will NOT vape in a room with my niece and nephew (3 mos and 2 years).

If you watch the way the "vapor" settles you would realize it floats down cause it is heavier than smoke. I worry about that. I do think that if we realize how people inhale that it is highly unlikely the person in the room is inhaling much vapor (even when it gets cloudy) as people usually inhale through the nose and the nasal hairs seem likely to catch some of the "particles" in the moisture from the vapor.

I have read the posts that there is no measurable significant levels of nic in the exhaled vapor... but cannlt remember if that was based on a study or someone's opinion lol :)

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I agree that it's best to be cautious around children, because they do have that tendancy to imitate adults -- children of parents who smoke are twice as likely to begin smoking
I agree with caution, so don't misread this comment as being some argument in favor of smoking around kids. ;)

This type of study is easy to overstate. While there is some influence based on certain factors - notably not imitation, but having kids "light a cigarette for the parent" (who DOES that since the 70s?) - multiple other studies show that primary factors are genes and peer group. In fact a recent study showed peer group as more influential than parents on specifically smoking as well as other matters, which may be why this study also shows some effectiveness with "consistent family monitoring" - those families are likely monitoring the peer group.

Of course, the study really doesn't say they are twice as likely to begin smoking anyway - it goes only to smoking before age 21 - which agrees with the experience of many parents who discover that their kids bring a cigarette habit home with that college degree. Which ones will? The ones genetically prone to this addiction, more of whom will have parents who smoke, because that's where they got those genes from.

BTW, my parents smoke around me from birth to the time they quit and my siblings along with myself, ended up smoking.

ALSO, my wife's parents smoked around her and her siblings from birth and none of them smoked.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Do a forum search on cats and PG. I heard they took PG out of cat food cause cats were having kidney failure from PG. I vape around my dog (who has bronchial probs and coughed all the time from analog smoke) and he is fine with the vapor...
PG ingestion (eating food etc.) is not the same as inhalation. There are issues with humans and kidneys and ingesting PG also.

My superficial understanding is that small animals are generally more sensitive to inhalations than humans are.

Last edited:

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
Do a forum search on cats and PG. I heard they took PG out of cat food cause cats were having kidney failure from PG.

Thanks for the heads-up Spikey. I've been staying away from my cat when I'm vaping just because that's been my routine when smoking dead leaf cigs. I think I'll risk erring on the side of caution and keep it that way. After all, this is a creature who thinks spiders are a crunchy treat, so what does she know?

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
PG ingestion (eating food etc.) is not the same as inhalation. There are issues with humans and kidneys and ingesting PG also.

My superficial understanding is that small animals are generally more sensitive to inhalations than humans are.

My concern is that the PG will settle and condense on fur, then be licked off when washing and so ingested. More studies needed.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I read a non-headlined report that after years of studying thousands of non-smokers who live with smokers and comparing them to non smoking households...... there was statistically not enough evidence to prove that second hand smoke was hazardous to a persons health...I am afraid if 'they' now decide to make out that second hand vapour is going to kill people...they will ....and everyone will simply 'believe' it because most human being are like programmable robots who 'believe' almost everything they are told by their peers.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Seems like a lot of us vape heavily at the computer. Any evidence of a buildup/residue on the computer screen or surrounding area for anyone?

That's a good point. I used to have a film on my computer screen and gear that was quite disgusting. In 6 weeks I haven't noticed anything from the ecigs. Any heavier vapers notice anything?

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
That's a good point. I used to have a film on my computer screen and gear that was quite disgusting. In 6 weeks I haven't noticed anything from the ecigs. Any heavier vapers notice anything?

I did read someone saying they had an oily film on their vehicle windows, but I think it was decided it was something else causing the problem in the end.

Seems like a lot of us vape heavily at the computer. Any evidence of a buildup/residue on the computer screen or surrounding area for anyone?

I have not noticed anything on my computer screen and I exhale my vapor right at it most of the time.

I did read someone saying they had an oily film on their vehicle windows, but I think it was decided it was something else causing the problem in the end.

I DID find film on my windshield. I was pretty hard to get off. (I use VG... not sure that makes a difference). It smeared all over and took quie a few napkins to get off (that sounds dirty lol!).

I think the car windshield could have something to do with the temp change and the small enclosed space (I started vaping w/the window open if I am using my 901... not with the Pilot tho... it's too sensitive.. even with a condom cap on the end sometimes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread