What about the kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyGirl

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
i do windows. lol
it's been my experience that humidity has a lot more to do with build up than vaping. a car full of (non-smoking) people with the windows rolled up will leave more oily residue on the windows than four smokers with the windows cracked. just breathing causes high humidity. didn't anyone else ever leave secret messages on the windows as a child by breathing on the windows? lol

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I read a non-headlined report that after years of studying thousands of non-smokers who live with smokers and comparing them to non smoking households...... there was statistically not enough evidence to prove that second hand smoke was hazardous to a persons health...

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7398/1057

Participants 118,094 adults enrolled in late 1959 in the American Cancer Society cancer prevention study (CPS I), who were followed until 1998. Particular focus is on the 35,561 never smokers who had a spouse in the study with known smoking habits.

Main outcome measures Relative risks and 95% confidence intervals for deaths from coronary heart disease, lung cancer, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease related to smoking in spouses and active cigarette smoking.

Conclusions The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality, although they do not rule out a small effect. The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality in a prospective study of Californians, 1960-98 -- Enstrom and Kabat 326 (7398): 1057 -- BMJ

Participants 118,094 adults enrolled in late 1959 in the American Cancer Society cancer prevention study (CPS I), who were followed until 1998. Particular focus is on the 35,561 never smokers who had a spouse in the study with known smoking habits.

Main outcome measures Relative risks and 95% confidence intervals for deaths from coronary heart disease, lung cancer, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease related to smoking in spouses and active cigarette smoking.

Conclusions The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality, although they do not rule out a small effect. The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.

I wonder how far the NHS will publicise these results - or will they allow the anti-passive smoking hysteria to continue?

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I wonder how far the NHS will publicise these results - or will they allow the anti-passive smoking hysteria to continue?

Results from tests like that 'all' say the same thing .......but the fact is they will never make any headline news out of it simply because they 'want' everyone completely convinced that second hand smoke....KILLS! They created the anti-smoking hysteria on purpose and the brainwashing works. It's almost impossible to smoke beside a non-smoker now without feeling as if you are going to be responsible for their death.

Smokin'

Mar 6, 2009
Interesting. You're all far more reserved than I am with regard to my exposing my children to reality. The reality is, drugs suck. Don't even start. They saw my wife struggle with quitting and they're now watching me. Unromanticized, unhidden -- the realities of being a slave to a substance and the realities of trying to quit. I can't think of a better example.

If your children have no frame of reference, what is to prevent them from making the wrong choice when they're presented with the option? In other words, you sneaking off out-of-sight into the backyard promotes curiosity and prevents an honest conversation about substance abuse; be it niccotine, alcohol, Marijuana, ......, whatever.

I'm taking this eCig route in an effort to quit. I don't want psycho-active drugs (Chantix). If my children see that I've made an admittedly bad mistake and am trying to correct that mistake, I think that speaks volumes about making bad decisions and trying to rectify them. Adults make mistakes. Isn't that the wisdom we, as parents, impart to our children..? We make mistakes and we correct those mistakes. Don't make those same mistakes -- make your own and teach your children of those mistakes so they're not repeated.

The theory being my children will not, when offered a cigarette, say, "...oh, these are the things Dad used to sneak into the backyard to do! They're so good he doesn't want to share them with anyone else and hides it from us.. I wonder why they're so good..? <Puff>" No, my children will hopefully say, "...these are the things Dad sweated over for 4 weeks trying to quit. They made him spit up black stuff, they made his lungs feel like sticky bricks when he tried to breathe deep... no thanks!"

I hide nothing from my children, not my triumphs or mistakes. I don't want them trying to live up to some unrealistic expectation of perfection in mind, body and spirit. It doesn't exist anywhere. I'm a human, like them, subject to bad judgement -- the WISDOM comes from recognizing your mistakes and being big enough to admit to them and correct them.

As for vaping -- I think the carcinogens given off during cooking anything would probably contain more parts-per-million than glycerin vapor -- same with home heating and the biproducts of combustion blowing through the forced air vents.

Smokin'

Mar 6, 2009
I did read someone saying they had an oily film on their vehicle windows, but I think it was decided it was something else causing the problem in the end.

You know, I'm in Detroit and they did a study about the strange oily substance appearing in the car windows of non-smokers. When wiped, it virtually mimics the same yellowish residue apparent the windows of smoker's cars.

Apparently, the fumes given off by Phermaldehyde in the carpeting and upholstery and the vapors of plastic components when exposed to direct sunlight cause this build up, especially in newer cars and wanes with over time.

mikeallison

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nashville, TN
Interesting. You're all far more reserved than I am with regard to my exposing my children to reality. The reality is, drugs suck. Don't even start. They saw my wife struggle with quitting and they're now watching me. Unromanticized, unhidden -- the realities of being a slave to a substance and the realities of trying to quit. I can't think of a better example.

If your children have no frame of reference, what is to prevent them from making the wrong choice when they're presented with the option? In other words, you sneaking off out-of-sight into the backyard promotes curiosity and prevents an honest conversation about substance abuse; be it niccotine, alcohol, Marijuana, ......, whatever.

I'm taking this eCig route in an effort to quit. I don't want psycho-active drugs (Chantix). If my children see that I've made an admittedly bad mistake and am trying to correct that mistake, I think that speaks volumes about making bad decisions and trying to rectify them. Adults make mistakes. Isn't that the wisdom we, as parents, impart to our children..? We make mistakes and we correct those mistakes. Don't make those same mistakes -- make your own and teach your children of those mistakes so they're not repeated.

The theory being my children will not, when offered a cigarette, say, "...oh, these are the things Dad used to sneak into the backyard to do! They're so good he doesn't want to share them with anyone else and hides it from us.. I wonder why they're so good..? <Puff>" No, my children will hopefully say, "...these are the things Dad sweated over for 4 weeks trying to quit. They made him spit up black stuff, they made his lungs feel like sticky bricks when he tried to breathe deep... no thanks!"

I hide nothing from my children, not my triumphs or mistakes. I don't want them trying to live up to some unrealistic expectation of perfection in mind, body and spirit. It doesn't exist anywhere. I'm a human, like them, subject to bad judgement -- the WISDOM comes from recognizing your mistakes and being big enough to admit to them and correct them.

As for vaping -- I think the carcinogens given off during cooking anything would probably contain more parts-per-million than glycerin vapor -- same with home heating and the biproducts of combustion blowing through the forced air vents.

That's how I'm handling it. My daughter has always hated my smoking, now she's thrilled that I'm switching to e-cigs. I have never smoked in the house, the car, etc., but I feel very comfortable vaping inside (although I do roll down the windows in the car). I wouldn't blow it in her face or anything, but from all the data I gathered, I'm comfortable with it.

From all the information I could gather, 98% of the nicotine is absorbed my our lungs. What is exhaled is almost entirely PG/VG vapor. Everything I've found suggests that the second-hand pg/vg vapor is harmless.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
The fact is if you are very worried about children breathing in the second hand vapour then you should be in a complete and utter panic about them walking along a road and breathing in the second hand exhaust fumes ....those fumes are so toxic you would be dead in 20 mins if you were breathing them in an enclosed space. I am not saying people shouldn't worry ....but those worries should be in proportion to the actual dangers.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
If your children have no frame of reference, what is to prevent them from making the wrong choice when they're presented with the option?.... If my children see that I've made an admittedly bad mistake and am trying to correct that mistake, I think that speaks volumes about making bad decisions and trying to rectify them....

.... I think the carcinogens given off during cooking anything would probably contain more parts-per-million than glycerin vapor...

I think I'm in love. :wub:

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
The fact is if you are very worried about children breathing in the second hand vapour then you should be in a complete and utter panic about them walking along a road and breathing in the second hand exhaust fumes ....those fumes are so toxic you would be dead in 20 mins if you were breathing them in an enclosed space. I am not saying people shouldn't worry ....but those worries should be in proportion to the actual dangers.

The difference of course, is that we can control where we smoke or vape. Even if the downside to exposing my kids to vaping are minimal (and I'm confident they are), there is no upside at all. This makes it a pretty easy choice.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
OMG, such an embarrassment of riches on the board today! :hubba: Have you thought of relocating? I'll gladly donate 3,000,000 of the USAs finest suburban soccer moms to the UK if you'll move across the pond.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Anyone here read "The Naked Sun" by Asimov? I'm thinking of the scene where a character freaks out when he realises that some of the molecules of air he's breathing in have been in someone else's lungs 8-o

Let's not get started on where water's been before we drink it....:)

SLOBRA

Feb 25, 2009
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Very well said. Reminds me of that TV show Intervention. I've never done any "real" drugs like ...., coke, ......, etc, but after seeing that show I guarantee you that I will never, ever, ever, ever touch any of those. Seeing the harsh reality is more of a deterrent for me than any "don't do drugs" ad campaign ever was.

I can't say how I'd feel if I had kids because I don't, but I can definitely understand those who are concerned for their health (obviously, it's your child!), though my gut tells me that sitting in rush hour traffic with your windows down will do more harm to your child than second-hand vapor. People do commit suicide by leaving their car running in the garage, ya know. I guess you could kill yourself by inhaling a lot of second-hand vapor, but I have a feeling it would take a really long time and you'd probably die of old age first anyway.

It sounds like some of the parents in this thread are more concerned with exposing their children to the act of smoking as opposed to the second-hand health risks. For what it's worth I'm 28. My parents never smoked and I have been since I was 19. My Dad drinks every day. I can't stand alcohol. So I can't promise you that "hiding" smoking from your child is going to have any affect on their decision to smoke (or not).

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
It sounds like some of the parents in this thread are more concerned with exposing their children to the act of smoking as opposed to the second-hand health risks. For what it's worth I'm 28. My parents never smoked and I have been since I was 19. My Dad drinks every day. I can't stand alcohol. So I can't promise you that "hiding" smoking from your child is going to have any affect on their decision to smoke (or not).

The studies indicate there is a direct correlation between a parent smoking and the likelihood of a child smoking. It doesn't mean the child will definitely smoke, just that he is more likely to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread