What are the best above-ohm builds for mech mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapePassion

Reviewer / Blogger
May 13, 2015
Denver, CO
Hi everyone,

I'm not new to mech mods or sub-ohm vaping on mech mods, but I don't really like the idea of sub-ohming on a single 18650 (the only mechs I own are single-battery). I was just wondering if anyone has tips on getting the best performance (vapor production and/or flavor) out of an above-ohm build on a mech mod. I'd love to hear what everyone's preferred build is. Thanks!

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
FWIW, the Safe thing is about the batteries NOT the mod.... Regardless the type of mod you choose you are only as safe as the batteries you choose to run. The batteries I use are tested safe to 20amps or more. This means my batteries can handle as low as .2ohms. So long as I stay higher than .3, I should be safe.

I use Mechs. I generally vape at around 1ohm. Sometimes as low as .7ohm and as high as 2ohms. Just depends on which atomizer I'm using. The mod just holds the batteries.

What atomizer are you using?

Reactions: VapePassion

VapePassion

Reviewer / Blogger
May 13, 2015
Denver, CO
FWIW, the Safe thing is about the batteries NOT the mod.... Regardless the type of mod you choose you are only as safe as the batteries you choose to run. The batteries I use are tested safe to 20amps or more. This means my batteries can handle as low as .2ohms. So long as I stay higher than .3, I should be safe.

I use Mechs. I generally vape at around 1ohm. Sometimes as low as .7ohm and as high as 2ohms. Just depends on which atomizer I'm using. The mod just holds the batteries.

What atomizer are you using?

I understand battery safety, amp draw, etc. I'm not too worried about that, but if I'm going to sub-ohm, I'll use one of my regulated mods.

I'm just trying to find recommendations for coil builds that provide the best performance that are above-ohm. For example, I've tried 1.2 ohm, dual coil with inner diameter of 2.5mm, I've tried 1.0 ohm single micro coil with inner diameter of 1.5mm. So far I've been most satisfied with micro coils, but I still think they kinda suck.

I have various RDAs; Veritas, Caterpillar, Mutation XV3, Freakshow Mini.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I like single coil RTAs and mostly use 18350 mechanical mods. I tend to build 1.2ohm 2mm ID contact coils using 28awg Kanthal unless I need to accommodate a smaller build deck. I believe that the kind of atomizer, coil placement relative to the airflow, and your wicking all contribute greatly to performance. I've tried twisted wire once (meh) and don't do any fancy coil builds.

VapePassion

Reviewer / Blogger
May 13, 2015
Denver, CO
Dual parallel 28g, 7 wraps, 2MM ID (around 0.3 to 0.36 Ohm). I use it for flavor. Vapor is acceptable. Maybe you can try single parallel coil.
But I think the vapor is not warm enough when you use above-ohm build in rda. But I think it's ok for MTL.

That's an interesting idea. I haven't tried building a single parallel coil yet. Thanks!

VapePassion

Reviewer / Blogger
May 13, 2015
Denver, CO
I like single coil RTAs and mostly use 18350 mechanical mods. I tend to build 1.2ohm 2mm ID contact coils using 28awg Kanthal unless I need to accommodate a smaller build deck. I believe that the kind of atomizer, coil placement relative to the airflow, and your wicking all contribute greatly to performance. I've tried twisted wire once (meh) and don't do any fancy coil builds.

Awesome, I'm trying this now :D

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
For higher ohm builds on mech I'd use the highest gauge you are comfortable with using. I feel that coils with less mass are more efficient for mech use.
Battery technology has come a long way; a single VTC4 is good to 30 amps, this translates into a .14 ohm load.
Plenty of safe subohm territory for a single cell tube these days.

VapePassion

Reviewer / Blogger
May 13, 2015
Denver, CO
For higher ohm builds on mech I'd use the highest gauge you are comfortable with using. I feel that coils with less mass are more efficient for mech use.
Battery technology has come a long way; a single VTC4 is good to 30 amps, this translates into a .14 ohm load.
Plenty of safe subohm territory for a single cell tube these days.

I think another reason that I don't really care for sub-ohm builds on my single-battery mechs is that they take long to ramp up. Honestly, if I had a dual battery mech, I'd probably not worry about sub-ohming at all.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The coil i'm vaping on the last few months is a twisted 28gauge kanthal , single coil; 3mm ID; about 7 wraps.
When i first wrapped it, it sometimes measured 0.9ohm on my evic vtc mini, but after a few days it's been consistently at around 1.5ohm;

i mostly run it around 4.5 volts, but it works ok in bypass mode too.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
The thing with mechs and safety is to use ohms law and use the proper battery for the amps you are going to draw from it depending on your coil resistance. Also if a hybrid style top cap in the mod like a SMPL mod then ONLY use atomizers with a nicely protruding 510 center pin on it.
Mooch's list of 18650 battery tests.
image-jpeg.535619

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
If you truly want to stay above 1ohm id say an 8 wrap 1.5mm ID, 28g coil. It would be best if you have a small capacity rda like a derringer or igo-s.

If you're okay with being around 0.7-0.8, same build but with 28g.

If you want to go larger diameter, go down a gauge.

Reactions: VapePassion

VapePassion

Reviewer / Blogger
May 13, 2015
Denver, CO
If you truly want to stay above 1ohm id say an 8 wrap 1.5mm ID, 28g coil. It would be best if you have a small capacity rda like a derringer or igo-s.

If you're okay with being around 0.7-0.8, same build but with 28g.

If you want to go larger diameter, go down a gauge.

You said 28g for both recommendations. Did you mean something else for one of those?

Reactions: Lessifer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread