What are the ideal batteries for a Smok GX350?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysianassa

Apr 29, 2017
Hi guys, I'm switching from cigs to vape, and examined a lot of mods to jump to after I started with a smok ego cloud AIO, and pulled the trigger on getting the smok GX350, mostly for battery life. The initial batteries that were available from my merchant (Vape Royalty) were the efest purple 18650 flat top 3000 mAh 35 amp IMR batts. The charger I bought was also an efest being the LUC V4...They were sold out of the batts I wanted, but I'm asking for advice on the ideal ones to get for this rig from a repped place like IMR or Illumn. Also, any danger risk from those efest batts in this rig? Settings to avoid? I was thinking of using it around 100 watts mostly, Thanks!

Reactions: BrotherBob

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
There are many that will work out fine on a quad-battery mod. I agree the HG2s are a good choice. So are the green Samsung 25Rs or Sony VTC4s or VTC5As. There are a couple of others.

Do yourself a favor and order from either IMRBatteries or LiionWholesale, two of the most reputable battery sellers on the web. There are a lot of fakes. Please don't get Efests for a 300W box mod, even if you're not going to run it crazy high. There are so many better options and IMR and Liion are both reasonably priced.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Make it simple for you

Upto to 230watts on the GX350 = 4 X Samsung 30Q 3000mah
Upto 219watts on the GX350 = 4 X Sony VTC6 3000mah
Upto 207watts on the GX350 = 4 X LG HG2 3000mah
Upto 288watts on the GX350 = 4 X Sony VTC5A 2500mah 25amp CDR
Upto 350watts on the GX350 = 4 X LG HB2, HB4, HB6 1500mah 30amp CDR (No other 18650 battery on the market is higher in Continuous Amp Discharge Rate than these 3 batteries on the market, anyone say 35 or 40amps is a re-wrap of a battery LG, Samsung, Sony, or Panasonic/Sanyo did not pass A Bin specs and are showing pulse discharge rate, not the CDR)

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I bought some LG HG2 recently. Apparently I could have done better for the same money. I don't care, I wanted a different color to the yellow, orange, green and pink pairs.

Just get some battery wraps next time? I got an inexpensive set on amazon I think that came with something like 30 wraps in each of 15 colors or so. I'm set on 18650 wraps for years and years, and it does make it easier to distinguish besides just marking them. I usually mark with a marker while the batteries are brand new rather than immediately unwrapping, but the moment there's the slightest nick anywhere I rewrap into matched pairs/trios/etc.

@lysianassa Unfortunately, it appears those are 10amp batteries.

Using the regulated mod calculation, you may be able to just vape at 100W because the mod uses four batteries and thus divides that power, but I probably wouldn't. 10A batteries are really not suitable for high wattage vaping whatsoever. I know it blows because you just got them, but that's just the truth. But again, since it's a 4-battery regulated mod, each battery will only be providing 25W. Idk. I certainly wouldn't surpass that, but I personally also wouldn't approach 100W with even 4 10A batteries... even if it might be overly cautious.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I just ordered 15 so I know what it's like to get a little overwhelmed with what battery's what! Those heat shrink wraps have been a lifesaver. I don't even have a heat gun atm; hair dryer works fine :) It might be slightly cheaper to buy a roll and cut yourself but the savings is negligible and for me it's worth the slight difference for all the colors, versus one long roll of just blue or just red or just green or whatever.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Ice pick or allen key in through the base bottom airflow and a pair of pliers on the coil head for better leverage, or put the coil and base into the freezer for about 20minutes and then try, the colder the metal the more the metal will shrink to help loosen a siezed threading did this all the time with older clone mechs when I was running clone mechs back in the day.

Reactions: lysianassa

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Unfortunately the efests are all they had, so I'll have to use them on low until I can order some of the ones you mentioned. Thanks!
Nothing wrong with Efests they just relabel other brands so are more expensive.
I've been buying my Bats from Orbtronics, great prices and I've always been satisfied product is authentic.

Reactions: lysianassa

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi guys, I'm switching from cigs to vape, and examined a lot of mods to jump to after I started with a Smok ego cloud AIO, and pulled the trigger on getting the Smok GX350, mostly for battery life. The initial batteries that were available from my merchant (Vape Royalty) were the efest purple 18650 flat top 3000 mAh 35 amp IMR batts. The charger I bought was also an efest being the LUC V4...They were sold out of the batts I wanted, but I'm asking for advice on the ideal ones to get for this rig from a repped place like IMR or Illumn. Also, any danger risk from those efest batts in this rig? Settings to avoid? I was thinking of using it around 100 watts mostly, Thanks!
Welcome and glad you joined. You may like to read about batteries to help make your decisions.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
Guide to Choosing a Battery Charger | E-Cigarette Forum

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Nothing wrong with Efests they just relabel other brands so are more expensive.
I've been buying my Bats from Orbtronics, great prices and I've always been satisfied product is authentic.

NOTE: I am not being mean or rude, just direct.

Yes there absolutely is something wrong with Efest batteries, the same as any rewraps.

They are REWRAPS... that means, 2nd or even 3rd rate rejects from the actual manufacturers.

They could be just about any brand, the rating is 100% unreliable, and most state crazy and way over the top "ratings" for their capacity.

To both you and the OP need to learn to simply use a search engine like Google and type in "Best batteries for vaping" and you will find all this information explained a thousand times over in articles, from reviews, from forums, etc.
LMGTFY

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
NOTE: I am not being mean or rude, just direct

Yeah, while your post is pretty "direct" I can't fault you for it, as I think you are pretty much correct and some things need to be said. My understanding of batteries and their limits doesn't really come from vaping (as the way I vape doesn't stress my batteries at all,) but I use batteries for other things.

My humble opinion is that you ought to buy top-quality batteries that are well-suited to your application, because they're only a few dollars more, and batteries are not the best place to economize, IMHO.

If you bought that mod just for more battery life, and will be running it at relatively low wattages you'll likely want batteries with more mah, and a lower cdr (there's an inherent tradeoff here- more mah means lower cdr.) At 100 watts from three batteries something like the LG HG2 might be a good choice. Just beware- it's a very frequently counterfeited battery. And don't try to kick it up to 350 watts or anywhere near there using them.

EDIT: and since, in retrospect, the above is vague, I'd say that I'd stay under 160 watts or so with three of those. That's less than you should be able to safely get from them, but I'm afraid I have engineer's disease. It makes me very conservative.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
NOTE: I am not being mean or rude, just direct.

Yes there absolutely is something wrong with Efest batteries, the same as any rewraps.

They are REWRAPS... that means, 2nd or even 3rd rate rejects from the actual manufacturers.

They could be just about any brand, the rating is 100% unreliable, and most state crazy and way over the top "ratings" for their capacity.

To both you and the OP need to learn to simply use a search engine like Google and type in "Best batteries for vaping" and you will find all this information explained a thousand times over in articles, from reviews, from forums, etc.
LMGTFY
Please point me to a definitive test or review that proves Efest is using rejects. "Generally" doesn't mean specifically.

The OP asked about batteries for a GX350 which is a Regulated mod with many protections built in. In addition the amps are divided over 4 batteries. Less draw and stress on each battery.

He also mentioned that he will be vaping at 100 Watts that doesn't come close to pushing the limits of 4 High Drain Batteries.

If I were dealing with a unregulated mechanical in Sub Ohm territory, or he said that he was going to vape regularly at 350 Watts, yes I might be more choosy about the battery but in this particular mod (4 Batteries) at 100 Watts I will stand by my statement that the batteries are fine.

lysianassa

Apr 29, 2017
Just a couple of quick add-on questions. Great community here! So I've noticed that being a long time pack a day smoker (30 odd years), and using direct to lung and not mouth to lung hits off both vapes can give me (sometimes) coughing fits. I'm vaping mostly 12% nicotine juice. I've heard some longtime smokers get this when switching to vape. Is this something that will go away over time? Is there a specific airflow on the tank that might help in the transition? Does the 12% nicotine ADD harshness over say a 6% nicotine blend?

Reactions: suprtrkr

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Please point me to a definitive test or review that proves Efest is using rejects. "Generally" doesn't mean specifically.

The OP asked about batteries for a GX350 which is a Regulated mod with many protections built in. In addition the amps are divided over 4 batteries. Less draw and stress on each battery.

He also mentioned that he will be vaping at 100 Watts that doesn't come close to pushing the limits of 4 High Drain Batteries.

If I were dealing with a unregulated mechanical in Sub Ohm territory, or he said that he was going to vape regularly at 350 Watts, yes I might be more choosy about the battery but in this particular mod (4 Batteries) at 100 Watts I will stand by my statement that the batteries are fine.

As far as the tests, mind you, remember @Mooch does battery testing as part of his job outside of vaping and been doing it for years, bringing his expertise to benefit us as vapers.

Mooch's battery tests
Index | E-Cigarette Forum

You are also wrong on your belief in the GX350 the CDR load is balanced across all batteries, there are 2 battery configurations, the one you are thinking of is parallel where the load is balanced, the GX350 and 95% of other high powered devices are in "Series Configuration" where the voltage is X number of batteries, but the CDR and Mah stay the same as a single battery.

Hate to make the call out, but with a registration date of 2009 might want to catch up to date of current events with batteries, just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread