What are the most common complaints about the ProVari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States
I have read people complain and praise, but I haven't really seen too many details about reported issues and concerns. Please feel free to share anything you've read about, experienced, or even perceptions. This is not meant to be a hate thread, I love the ProVari, but out of curiosity I want to know why some don't love it like I do.

Thanks!

JazzyTech

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
California
I've had mine about 4 months now. I can't think of a single thing that I could complain about. I do recall thinking the button press was a bit stiff, but realized that it's the perfect resistance for the weight of the unit. It felt heavy compared to my eGo 510 passthrough for the obvious reasons. Um, I guess I could complain that I have no complaints so far? :) A lot of thought and effort went into the design and development of the Provari and it shows.

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States
I've had mine about 4 months now. I can't think of a single thing that I could complain about. I do recall thinking the button press was a bit stiff, but realized that it's the perfect resistance for the weight of the unit. It felt heavy compared to my eGo 510 passthrough for the obvious reasons. Um, I guess I could complain that I have no complaints so far? :) A lot of thought and effort went into the design and development of the Provari and it shows.

The button wasn't as clicky as my Lavatube so it took a little getting used to, but the little resistance it gives as well as the light does make it work great.

We can open it up to anyone. I just want to get everything in one place for my reference.

PS - I want one in green

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I love my Provari. About the only physical change I'd want is a better mounting system for the circuit board that contains all the electronics. It slides into a slot on each side and is secured with a couple of drops of glue or potting compound. That comes loose on a lot of them and allows the circuit board to move slightly back and forth. You can feel it in the switch, which bottoms out when you press it because of the movement of the board. Tighter tolerances in the slot or a spacer on each side of the board would result in a tighter fit that didn't require a compound to secure it.

Other than that, it works as advertised. I'm not insistent on wattage regulation. I know that a 2 ohm coil works well at 3.2v to 3.5v and a 3 ohm coil works well at 3.7v to 4.2v for me. Variable wattage would remove the need to change settings, but it's not a biggie.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
They are a bit pricey, but I think it's value for money, I don't think there is anything on the market built this well with the features it offers.
Some people want the VW option, I can take it or leave it. I wish the switch on the mini was up higher, closer to the top cap, I think it would be easier/more comfortable to use. I also wish the switch had more feel to it, it works well once you get used to it, but some more feel would be nicer.
I also want an 18650 extension for the mini, but I'll survive without it.
I'm very happy with my choice all in all, It's well built, I don't worry if I drop it, but it's not for everyone and not everyone is going to need what it offers.

I Shall Not Recant

Verified Member
Jul 6, 2012
Dumbarton, Scotland
Button is a bit 'spongey'.
Occasionally I put it into the menu too easily by pressing the button repeatedly while not thinking about it.
and
It can get trapped between menu functions.
These aren't complaints though, just observations.

Does the job and does it well.

On a new version I'd like Provape to produce extensions so you can use three sizes of battery.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Weight, price & "fanboys". Those are the three most common that I've seen. My opinions of each are below.

Weight: I don't mind it, but it IS heavy.

Price: More expensive than most, but was worth the price to me. I've actually spent less since I got one, than I had been prior; probably because I stopped looking for something better. Now I only buy things occasionally, and only if it's something I REALLY want to try. For example, I'm watching that Billet Box thing like a hawk. If it looks like it's working out OK after 4-6 months, then I'll get one.

"Fanboys": Those who simply like it are fine. But those who act like anyone who doesn't have one is stupid - well, they're a bunch of dolts themselves. Whatever works for someone is FINE. I never argued with anyone about Marlboro, and I don't enjoy arguing over vaping equipment.

That's my three cents - and I'm sticking to it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think the most complained about feature is the one-button menu function. I don't mind it, it only took me about 10 minutes to master it. But there have been numerous times when the feature that I want scrolls by and I have to round robin around to it again.

Since I use only carto tanks with the same ohm carto, the lack of a variable wattage feature doesn't faze me in the least. I do adjust my voltage according to the flavor that I'm currently vaping, but variable wattage would not help in that regard.

The regular size with the extension cap is pretty hefty, and I had a Silver Bullet prior to the Provari. I'm not really complaining about that either, as it is a testament to the quality of materials used and it's implied durability. It had been my all day, everyday device for several months when I decided I needed something of smaller size and lighter weight for short trips out-and-about. The extended Provari is not really pocket-worthy in my opinion. It's too heavy and clunky to be used in a lanyard (Serenity Gear) and I'm not sure if I would use a belt holster for it.

I began toting my 14500 BB with me on short runs out to the store and loved its small size and light weight. Sure would be nice to have that in variable voltage. I strongly considered getting a Mini Provari (and likely will reward myself with one on my 1-year vapor anniversary), but I couldn't justify another $200 + batteries at the current time.

I looked at the reviews for the few 14500 battery variable voltage devices currently available, but that battery is just too small to do V.V. justice. I settled on the Smoktech V.V. Gripper, which suits my purpose until I save up enough for the Mini in the Spring. It just so happens to use the same batteries as the extended Provari, so that was a win-win.

I would like to see a red Provari produced. :D

Last edited:

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States
Having been a lavatube owner for a year, I can say with confidence that I wish I bought the ProVari sooner. I don't think anyone who doesn't own one is dumb, but I can't believe I got along so far without one.

Weight - I like it heavy. For $200, I want it to be a little heavy.
Price - I would have spent more if I knew how good it was.
Menu - Lambo VV definitely was easier with three buttons, but heres the thing: when you have a consistent vape all the time, you really don't need the menu that much. I check the battery every so often but I don't think I would want this set up differently.

I would like to see a VW upgrade sometime in the future, but like my thoughts on the menu, its not really a necessity for me as I vape 1.7 smoktech resurrectors only.

It sounds like fanboys are issue #1!

Jarski44

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Houston, TX
Not owning one, I can just give my impressions.

I wasn't too keen on the single button menuing system, but after getting a Zmax, I don't think it's that bad.

Feature set is lacking with no VW. I find I use VW pretty exclusively on my Zmax.

Cost, not price. I know my habits and how I get hooked into things. Not two days after Getting a Zmax for Christmas, I was ordering a second one. I wouldn't be able to stop at a single Provari, but would probably end up with at least two if not three. Total cost just too much right now, someday perhaps.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I still don't own a provari, although this year I came close to actually wanting one. I've really not been interested since the day they came out, just because of the price and the menu. Include into this, the quiet chats in the backrooms, of "help! my provari's red warning light won't turn off"... they were afraid or too embarrassed to discuss this out loud for quite awhile.
I still hate both the final price and the terrible menu. Today, years later, I now add "they're so outdated!" to my list.
Let's not even discuss the new colors. What were they thinking?!! Blah blah blah.

Bottom line?
I would become hyper, hyped out, if:
1. They improved the menu, make it user friendly, like the Vamo's
2. They upgraded to both VV and VW like the Vamo
3. They chose great colors like the LTV2
4. They made the blue LED a choice without a price mark up
5. They listened to the people. Provape should have come out with the Vamo/LTV2 before China did. Vamo & LTV2 should be copying the Provari V2. They plunged ahead and made the customers happy while Provape sat on their haughty laurels.

I'm just being honest here. Not mean. Not berating. Those are the things that turn me off to the Provari.

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States
I still don't own a provari, although this year I came close to actually wanting one. I've really not been interested since the day they came out, just because of the price and the menu. Include into this, the quiet chats in the backrooms, of "help! my provari's red warning light won't turn off"... they were afraid or too embarrassed to discuss this out loud for quite awhile.
I still hate both the final price and the terrible menu. Today, years later, I now add "they're so outdated!" to my list.
Let's not even discuss the new colors. What were they thinking?!! Blah blah blah.

Bottom line?
I would become hyper, hyped out, if:
1. They improved the menu, make it user friendly, like the Vamo's
2. They upgraded to both VV and VW like the Vamo
3. They chose great colors like the LTV2
4. They made the blue LED a choice without a price mark up
5. They listened to the people. Provape should have come out with the Vamo/LTV2 before China did. Vamo & LTV2 should be copying the Provari V2. They plunged ahead and made the customers happy while Provape sat on their haughty laurels.

I'm just being honest here. Not mean. Not berating. Those are the things that turn me off to the Provari.

I have to agree with the colors, especially price markups, but my experience so far with the ProVari has been that it doesn't need more menu. It should definitely eventually have the VW option, but because of its consistence, I never really find myself having to fine tune it except for the first time I try a new flavor.

I like the look of the new eVic, especially the firmware updating, but I vape to vape and as long as it makes awesome consistent clouds the menu is minimally important to me. The Vamo is awesome from what I've seen/read but I haven't held one so I can't compare the vape experience.

I have to also agree that it looks and feels somewhat outdated, however, owning one, there is a certain mystique knowing that for something that can be considered ancient in terms of the very short vaping history still holds up strong.

I would love to see ProVape innovate and update, but they would need to make something dramatic. I think part of their brand strength comes from the products actually enduring in design over time (whereas Apple is on iPad v6 over a course of three years) so people don't have to run out and update. I would like to think that they are currently following the 'Don't fix it if its not broke' theory.

Thanks for your input!

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
previous owner. complaints are poor battery life, lack of features and expense vs current crop of vw devices coming out of china. also build quality while good, is highly overrated. Mine had machining marks and while the case is bombproof it does little to protect the circuitry inside from a good jolt. long story short provape has a huge task ahead of them if they want to catch up and stay relevant and an even bigger job in proving that they are still "inno-vape-tors"

edit: also maybe mine was just flunky but in the menu it would often freeze up, resulting i my pushing the button more then necessary. then when it finally caught up id have to cycle back through the menu again. im sorry but for as much as they charge for it, it shouldnt be using a brain that cant keep up. low power intergrated circuits are cheap
im happy to report the zmax rev2 is a lot more responsive, though it brings its own quirks to the table

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread