What are the tricks to making gourmet E-liquid?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenaInWyo

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Casper Wy
I have found that sometimes a juice doesn't need 42 flavors to be "gourmet"

Take, for instance, the popular Deadly Sin clone that floats around. It's three flavors. One of my all time favorites. Or the Grants clone I see the most often. That's two flavors. Another I make in bulk.

Sure there are some that I like that have quite a few flavors in them, but just don't get the idea that there is always some special magic behind that juice that makes you go WOW. At the end of the day, the vast majority of vendors are using the same tools we are, and there is rarely any super special magic behind it. As soon as I stopped trying to overthink things and add a tiny bit of everything I could possibly think of to every bottle, my liquids started improving.

And..some will disagree with me here..don't fear the sweetners. I like sweet, strong flavors. I'm not into subtle. As soon as I stopped fearing they'd ruin my juice somehow and actually started sweetening most things, I got a lot more WOW. That's just my personal experience though, YMMV.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Reactions: kaahn

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
The true secrets to making gourmet juice is a far out sounding name that has nothing to do with the flavor, a multi color far out designed label, a pretty bottle and charge at least $1 a ml. It doesn't really matter that much how your juice taste as long as it isn't repugnant. Just follow these simple steps and you to will be a gourmet juice maker.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
The true secrets to making gourmet juice is a far out sounding name that has nothing to do with the flavor, a multi color far out designed label, a pretty bottle and charge at least $1 a ml. It doesn't really matter that much how your juice taste as long as it isn't repugnant. Just follow these simple steps and you to will be a gourmet juice maker.
Thanks for your take on this.
I had to google the full meaning of " repugnant ", and I'll say, as of recently none of my juices are repugnant, though my son still dosen't like anything I've made so far I think some of my mixes were close to GOURMET.
I even printed out a nice label with more info about the e-juice than many " gourmet juice companies " give you.
For now I'll keep the names simple and to the point of taste, like " Creamy Peanut Butter " instead of " Space Maham Jam Bam "
Once again, thanks for your take on the subject.
Ohh in Edit.
Frig my son, let him pay a Buck per ml.

Last edited:

1vapeatatime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Nevada
I have found that sometimes a juice doesn't need 42 flavors to be "gourmet"

Take, for instance, the popular Deadly Sin clone that floats around. It's three flavors. One of my all time favorites. Or the Grants clone I see the most often. That's two flavors. Another I make in bulk.

Sure there are some that I like that have quite a few flavors in them, but just don't get the idea that there is always some special magic behind that juice that makes you go WOW. At the end of the day, the vast majority of vendors are using the same tools we are, and there is rarely any super special magic behind it. As soon as I stopped trying to overthink things and add a tiny bit of everything I could possibly think of to every bottle, my liquids started improving.

And..some will disagree with me here..don't fear the sweetners. I like sweet, strong flavors. I'm not into subtle. As soon as I stopped fearing they'd ruin my juice somehow and actually started sweetening most things, I got a lot more WOW. That's just my personal experience though, YMMV.

I agree with you.
What does Gourmet mean anyway, that one is refined by using certain products?
Bleh!!!!
If your juice tastes good, enjoy it!!! I know I do and sometimes I have just one flavor in it.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
That's where we differ, this is my tank of choice 10 % of the time Zephyrus Sub Ohm Tank by Youde with nickel / titanium 28/36 clapton .
65 VG/35 I am what you would call a flavor junkie and my weapon of choice Velocity RDA / Aeolus RDA : Stainless Steel - Syntheticloud
I don't think I could afford not to DIY ...........Then again I love one upping other recipes, it's funny how you mix a clone and it gives you something better but I will say most are not as complex as you would think, most add way too many flavors so my advice get quality flavors then try adding two flavors 1-to-2 ratio of say vanilla-to-cream then add your main profile add to taste / shake, vape before you keep adding or try whipped creme on your finger and put a few drops on it and taste.

Off the subject of DIY juice
After listening to you talk about the Zephyrus, I read up about them and watched a few tutorial video's on the Zephyrus build.
Ordered 1 from fasttech ( Styled ) and received it yesterday.
WOW, this is an amazing tank.
Haven't tried the stock coil, ( It is one beefy coil .)
But I built dual coils, [ 8 wrap / 26 ga. Kanthal / 2.5 ID ] ...It finished up a 3ohm build. Wicked it as the youtube video showed, ( carefully and not packed tight, with angle cuts on the wick ends )
And I have to say it has BIG airflow, BIG flavor, BIG clouds.
Running it between 35 - 45 watts.

I will believe that the ( Styled ) version I purchased for $16.00 is in fact an authentic, as it inscribed [ Zephyrus ]
Came complete as a kit with everything the authentic one showed, [ red, white and blue seals - extra glass - RBA - stock coil - heat sink drip tip adapter ]
Really is a nice clearo
Thanks for the mentioning of the Zephyrus.

Nuggit

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2014
Third rock from the sun
I like the analog to cooking myself. I use e-liquid recipe manager pro, so I'mddoing percentage, not drops, I recommend it. I feel I get more subtle adjustments and accuracy.
As for the cooking aspect, I always look at it that way. here is my pineapple upside down cake:
5% - Vanilla Cupcake - Wizard Labs (TFA)
5.5% - Pineapple - Wizard Labs (TFA)
2% - Butter Rum - lorann
3% - Cinnamon Roll - Wizard Labs (LA)
1.5% - Cherry Cascade - totally wicked
1%- Bavarian Cream - Wizard Labs (LA)
1.2% - Smooth - Wizard Labs (TFA)
1% - Cheesecake - Wizard Labs (TFA)
1.5% - Ethyl Maltol (10%) - Wizard Labs (TFA)
Recipe built using eLiquid Recipe Manager Pro

Minuse eggs and flour, it's a recipe...
To me, some flavors i use, butter for example, have an effect on taste rather than being tasted. Butter "sticks" flavorto the palet, and meld flavors together, just like cooking. Bakery flavors, like belgin waffle, cupcake, ect, will give body, while whipped cream will lighten things up. And I have found that both effects can be used together!
Of course, my "effect" ingredients are low percentage, actual flavors are higher. Have fun with it, and vape on!

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
I like the analog to cooking myself. I use e-liquid recipe manager pro, so I'mddoing percentage, not drops, I recommend it. I feel I get more subtle adjustments and accuracy.
As for the cooking aspect, I always look at it that way. here is my pineapple upside down cake:
5% - Vanilla Cupcake - Wizard Labs (TFA)
5.5% - Pineapple - Wizard Labs (TFA)
2% - Butter Rum - lorann
3% - Cinnamon Roll - Wizard Labs (LA)
1.5% - Cherry Cascade - totally wicked
1%- Bavarian Cream - Wizard Labs (LA)
1.2% - Smooth - Wizard Labs (TFA)
1% - Cheesecake - Wizard Labs (TFA)
1.5% - Ethyl Maltol (10%) - Wizard Labs (TFA)
Recipe built using eLiquid Recipe Manager Pro

Minuse eggs and flour, it's a recipe...
To me, some flavors i use, butter for example, have an effect on taste rather than being tasted. Butter "sticks" flavorto the palet, and meld flavors together, just like cooking. Bakery flavors, like belgin waffle, cupcake, ect, will give body, while whipped cream will lighten things up. And I have found that both effects can be used together!
Of course, my "effect" ingredients are low percentage, actual flavors are higher. Have fun with it, and vape on!

You sure do love your diacetyl ..........

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
You sure do love your diacetyl ..........

Well, you have to admit, it is YUMMMY! Deadly perhaps, but delish!

I really don't want to get in to this whole debate in yet another thread (vape them or don't, your choice) but it is relevant to the thread. I think we have definitely hit on the exact subject of the thread tittle. Diacetyl makes stuff taste good and I believe (know) that several of the most popular "Gourmet" flavors/brands are loaded with them.

satchvai

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2015
Off the grid
RE: Diacetyl. I've purchased DX versions of all my TFA flavors and don't notice any significant difference compared to the non-DX versions. The only one that I'm having a problem with, is of course, Vanilla Custard. Vanilla Swirl just doesn't do it for me so if anyone has any tips of how to get some of those custard notes without the custard, please share!

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
RE: Diacetyl. I've purchased DX versions of all my TFA flavors and don't notice any significant difference compared to the non-DX versions. The only one that I'm having a problem with, is of course, Vanilla Custard. Vanilla Swirl just doesn't do it for me so if anyone has any tips of how to get some of those custard notes without the custard, please share!
Flavourart : Vanilla Custard , Custard Pi both are from the blended flavors line, you could email Drew @ support@BullCityVapor.com and perhaps he could order it for you.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
The newest trick I've learned with making a Great/Gourmet Bakery juice,,,

Add a pinch of salt..

I'm adding Trader Joes Sea Salt, ( just a pinch ) to my Bakery flavored juices and it really helps with the details in the flavor.

My Peanut Butter (MFPB)and Fluffernutter (The Bakery) clone juice's are at a higher level towards that Great/Gourmet juice that I'm talking about.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

( sparkky 1 ) posted about his Zephyrus, and got me interested. I ordered 1 and spent many days going for the right coil build and wicking.
When you nail the build on the Zephyrus, it takes the juice to a new level.
IMO,,, its as close to dripping as can be found in an RTA/RBA.
I thank you sparkky for the in sight!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread