What battery,is it one 18650 or 2-18350 for a Vamo/Bamboo APV V3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
If you subscribe to his thread,there are many more planes electric Li-Po and nitromethane/alcohol powered,which gives me a bunch of ideas.
Pop I've tried to PM you,but I get blocked.It's the settings on my side.I got pop-up blockers on and deletes all tracking cookies,etc....
I need to monkey with my settings of this forum

Last edited:

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
I had a few problems figuring out the Zmax but I used one tank on an old Ego 510 and tightened down way too tight and messed up cart,once I replaced cart with a 3.0ohm,Zmax came to life.A 1.7ohm cart works get in an Ego 510 but it can get hot in a VW or VV mode.

I got a Sigelei ZMax V3 VV/VW from Mom and Pops after I sent back Vamo and I like the Zmax.
It's a great APV,set to RMS in watts mode or VW mode,then you can crank up or down watts and you get a nice steady sizzle crank it up for throat hit or down a little for more flavor.
In VV mode you get more of a rattle snake sizzle.You can fine tune vapor,but VW mode seems to work best.

Pop sent me three extra batteries,a set of 18350's and an extra 18650 when I made a fairly big order.Most of the tobacco flavors in 30ml bottles and the 5 layer desert liquid.
Donkey juice was very strong,just a drop in another liquid will add a licorish taste.I tried it straight and it kicked like a Mule.

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
I'd like to use Li-Po's to power an e-cig but watch this:
How Hard Is It To Blow Up A LiPo Battery? - YouTube
I can get real nano-tech A123's but they are much bigger than 18650's.I have A123 Nano-tech 18650,I build them as a 2S pack with balance plug for charging.We use them in 0.40 sized glow fuel powered models but Li-Po for electric planes brushless motors.
For 1/3-1/4 scale,I don't fly planes that big,they are too slow,the heavier they are the more damage when we crash and we do combat,plane after plane,so we do crash.

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
Spec:
Nominal Voltage: 3.3v
Nominal Capacity: 2.3A
Standard Charge: 3.6A
Max Charge: 10C
Max Allowable Charge Voltage: 4.2v
Max Discharge: 30C (Continuous)
Burst Discharge: 60C
Weight: 70g
Dimensions: 66.5mm x 26mm

Note: This is a genuine A123 cell.
This is what I use on glow power:
Specs:
Nominal Capacity & Voltage: 1.1Ah, 3.3v
Dimensions: 18mm x 65mm
Recommended standard charge current: 1.5A
Recommended fast charge current: 5A to 3.6v CCCV, 15min
Max continuous discharge: 30A
Cycle life at 10C discharge, 100% DOD: Over 1,000 cycles
Recommended charge/cutoff voltage: 3.5v to 2v
Operating temp: -30 ~ +60degC
Cell Weight: 39g
Could one build an APV out of a 2S A123 18650 pack?They drop to 6.0 volts with a load and stays there for 75% of discharge.Our servos like 6.0volts so they work very good.They only stay ay 6.6 for the 1st 3-5% of discharge curve and you can abuse them greatly they always bounce back.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
Could one build an APV out of a 2S A123 18650 pack?They drop to 6.0 volts with a load and stays there for 75% of discharge.Our servos like 6.0volts so they work very good.They only stay ay 6.6 for the 1st 3-5% of discharge curve and you can abuse them greatly they always bounce back.

Yes. All you need to build an APV is a power supply, coil and switch--and the switch can simply be touching the wire to one terminal for "on" and removing it for "off."

For running 6 volts you'll want (at least to start with) 3 ohm coils or higher, and if you're not going with a full charge (the 6.6v) you'll probably want to start with 5 ohm coils, at least for the initial "quality control/testing" phases (and/or put a step-down regulator in it). The biggest (logistical) problem with mods of this type is the size, but if you're not looking for pocketability it shouldn't be a problem. I've built a variable voltage mod/APV powered by dual 18650's and while it is fairly large I found it quite manageable. It did use two separate batteries, though, rather than a single pack built from two cells, so yours is likely to be at least a little bigger ;)

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
My VPX B&D drill has them and these if you can find them work good.Discharge curve drops to 6.0 very fast but stays there,but that's under a 4-8amp load.
LiFePO4 Battery | 18650 LiFePO4 Cell | A123 Cells
Thanks for the tip,if I just had more time.
My Zmax does work very well,but I have to make sure I get a full charge.
I use a real good charger,it'll tell me how many mah I put back in any type of cell.

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
My Li-xx charger you can select XS where X is the number of cells.A 2S Li-ion 3000 would be 2 18650's but charged at 2*3.6,then you set your ma rate,then you watch how many mah go back into cell.Any cell can false peak,so if you put in 2500 mah in a 3000 and you read 4.1-4.15 volts you got a good charge.
I need to check with my supplier and find a reasonable priced one and send Pop the link.A good charger that tells you what your puuting in battery is nice to have.There is also another device you can use with a charger,plug in battery and it'll say if you cell(s) have 35-% or 100% capacity in them.

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
I noticed when I reached low power on my Zmax,so I took out Li-ion cell and I set charger to 500mah rate and it put in 366mah.If I set rate to 700mah cell my charger will false peak or shuts down for cell reaches 4.1-4.xxx.
My charger is set to shut down when it reaches X minutes and it was getting close,so I started over set mah rate to 500 and my charger put in 674mah.
Now for 3rd and final charge I might get 200-400 more mah,I could keep repeating but my charger cycles,it'll read 3.9,then 4.1-4.xx,then 4.0,then 4.12xx,etc...
When the two values get very close to each other,4.0 then 4.1xx,charger shuts down and no more mah go in cell
Cells seem to be improving or I was charging too fast.It never hurts to charge at a lower rate.
They got a little warm in Zmax in the beginning,but with any new toy I tend to over use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread