What build is more conservative of juice? More wraps/higher ohms or less wraps/lower ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I've been thinking about how much juice I vape daily lately and it brought me to some questions.

I only vape fused claptons in my drippers and on a regulated mod(sigelei 150w). Which build do you guys think consumes more e liquid per vape:

-7 wrap dual fused claptons around 0.2 ohms that take about 70 watts to ramp up?

Or

-8 wrap dual fused claptons around 0.3 ohms that take about 60 watts to ramp up?

I know that more coil surface area to wick equals more vapor and consequently more e liquid vaporized per hit. But I also know that more power equals more heat equals more e liquid vaporized per hit as well. So which way do you go to minimize e liquid consumption while still maintaining the flavor and production of fused claptons (my current favorite build)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Depends mostly on the wattage you are running. I do say mostly.

So you think that the bigger build would be more conservative; basically that the increase in juice vaporized due to more surface area would be compensated negatively by the 10 watts less used to power it?

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Depends on how high you cranked up the voltage. As I said depends mostly on the wattage. More volts = more watts regardless of the resistance as long as less than 3 ohms or so.
that is about the upper limit for most regulated mods.
I'm not sure if you're understanding what I'm asking here. I know that more volts equal more wattage regardless of the resistance. That fact was not in question, neither was the limit of regulated mods. So now you just said it mostly depends on how much wattage you use. And then you said more volts leads to more watts. Yes, I know that.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I'm not sure if you're understanding what I'm asking here. I know that more volts equal more wattage regardless of the resistance. That fact was not in question, neither was the limit of regulated mods. So now you just said it mostly depends on how much wattage you use. And then you said more volts leads to more watts. Yes, I know that.

I am not sure i do either. And i suspect that what you are asking has a difficult and somewhat nebulous answer.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
depends on the heat flux and capacity of the coils. real big but cold coil CAN consume more juice than a real hot tiny coil.

So it not really an either or thing, more if this then that. All of which are vague and dependant on other factors. The .2 coil coul be both bigger or smaller than the .3 and hotter or colder, just depends on the wire and amount of power used.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
depends on the heat flux and capacity of the coils. real big but cold coil CAN consume more juice than a real hot tiny coil.

So it not really an either or thing, more if this then that. All of which are vague and dependant on other factors. The .2 coil coul be both bigger or smaller than the .3 and hotter or colder, just depends on the wire and amount of power used.
Thank you. This is what I was more looking for. And yes, after thinking more about it I realize that it may be too difficult of a question to answer. I just want to use less juice, but I want to keep building dual fused claptons. The only wire I have right now is 26 gauge and 36 gauge kanthal. So I was thinking hey I'll just build a higher ohm coil. But if I do that then it will have more surface area and may use more juice and actually take more watts to get going. But if I build a lower ohm coil with less wraps it will be a lower resistance so it still would take decent wattage to get going. Both alternatives use juice in a different way. Just wanted to know if anyone could speculate which would outweigh the other in juice usage. Basically, does wattage used or coil surface to wick affect juice usage more?

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
... Just wanted to know if anyone could speculate which would outweigh the other in juice usage. Basically, does wattage used or coil surface to wick affect juice usage more?

Sometimes, simple empiricism is the answer -- build'em, vape'em, assess consumption.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. ~Jan van de Snepscheut?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thank you. This is what I was more looking for. And yes, after thinking more about it I realize that it may be too difficult of a question to answer. I just want to use less juice, but I want to keep building dual fused claptons. The only wire I have right now is 26 gauge and 36 gauge kanthal. So I was thinking hey I'll just build a higher ohm coil. But if I do that then it will have more surface area and may use more juice and actually take more watts to get going. But if I build a lower ohm coil with less wraps it will be a lower resistance so it still would take decent wattage to get going. Both alternatives use juice in a different way. Just wanted to know if anyone could speculate which would outweigh the other in juice usage. Basically, does wattage used or coil surface to wick affect juice usage more?

Wattage.

Higher wattage = faster juice consumption.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I'd like to add a personal observation: dual coils vape a lot more juice than a single, and I feel some of it has to do with having twice the wicking. I feel if you are using some form of complex twisting (is fused clapton) the flavor is still there but the cloud is less dense.
Yes dual coils definitely vaporize more juice because twice the juice is being vaporized at once. I'm not changing to single coils. I love dual coils. I was just contemplating the effects on wattage on juice consumption vs the effects of coil surface area on juice consumption, assuming both are dual coils.

But I definitely disagree with your second statement. Complex builds like the fused clapton are so flavorful because they are more dense. It is widely known among builders, I thought, that twisted builds and up provide a much more dense vape than standard builds.

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
But I definitely disagree with your second statement. Complex builds like the fused clapton are so flavorful because they are more dense. It is widely known among builders, I thought, that twisted builds and up provide a much more dense vape than standard builds.

I'm sorry, I wasn't referring to claptons or other twisted builds as producing less flavor or vapor vs a basic coil. I was referring to a single clapton vs any sort of simple dual coil setup. I feel you lose less flavor going from a dual clapton build to a single clapton build than you would going from a basic dual coil to a basic single, I can see how I wasn't very clear on that in my earlier post.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I'm sorry, I wasn't referring to claptons or other twisted builds as producing less flavor or vapor vs a basic coil. I was referring to a single clapton vs any sort of simple dual coil setup. I feel you lose less flavor going from a dual clapton build to a single clapton build than you would going from a basic dual coil to a basic single, I can see how I wasn't very clear on that in my earlier post.
Ah, very good point. I get it now. Still, I don't know what it is. When I first started building claptons and the like I was excited because I thought, finally, I can build single coils to reduce juice consumption while still getting great flavor. But my first few single coil fused claptons I hated because they ran through juice; not in an overall sense, but I found myself having to redrip so often. And I also don't like filling an rda with a single coil build so that the juice just sits in the wick-less part of the well. I find myself worrying too much about it leaking when I tip it to vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread